Thread: Douglas squirrel sick, hunched over, shivering

Default Douglas squirrel sick, hunched over, shivering

Hi, a Douglas squirrel who lives near our home and hangs out on our patio furniture is very sick today, hunched over with nose on toes and shuddering every few seconds. We don't use mouse poison but some people not far from us do, I realize it could be that. Torn between terrorizing him by trying to get him into a box to take him to our closest wildlife center (1 hour away) or not, if his last moments were terrified in a box instead of outside I'd feel awful. Wondering if anyone else has seen a wild squirrel with these symptoms? If so, were you able to get it treated successfully? Would appreciate any thoughts.

Default Re: Douglas squirrel sick, hunched over, shivering

I ended up taking him to the wildlife rescue center, hopefully they're able to help him.

Thank you for helping him. How did you catch him? Which rescue center? Will they give you any information about his well being? I’m curious to know what may be wrong.

Just for future reference, a TSB member has a wildlife facility in Vancouver, WA. called Squirrel Refuge of Vancouver 360-836-0955.

Hi, thanks for letting me know about that rescue center. I took him to Sarvey Wildlife Center, they're a really good wildlife care/rehab center in Arlington, WA. The lady whisked him away to give him Vitamin K (I do think it was rodenticide, we don't use it but at least one of our neighbors does), I'm going to check today to see if he made it. Will let you know what I hear, they're busy but I think they respond to update requests. Caught him by throwing a soft blanket over him, he could still run but was unsteady on his feet and tried to climb our pergola but fell off. Poor little thing.

Default Re: I need help with mine

Found mine after storm had weakened nest I think and presumably was an owl, was at night and saw huge bird.
    Was on ground all night squawking and mom never came. Took care of him. He is about a month and a half to 2 months old.
    Want to set him free now because not getting along with wife and keeps peeing on me, after she was the one that rescued him but maybe because I'm the one that plays with him the most and put everything together in cage and nest in cage.
    We are in kind of rural area in Westmoreland county Virginia and don't want to just let him go to be mailed by other squirrels or taken by a predator too soon.

Hi Sonny! Welcome to TSB! It is best to repost this in a new thread so it will be seen, and so all the responses will be about your little squirrel. This is a thread about another squirrel, I don’t want your answers and responses to get lost in the shuffle! Just copy paste, so you have a consistent place for your squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Tashahaven View Post
    Hi Sonny! Welcome to TSB! It is best to repost this in a new thread so it will be seen, and so all the responses will be about your little squirrel. This is a thread about another squirrel, I don’t want your answers and responses to get lost in the shuffle! Just copy paste, so you have a consistent place for your squirrel

Thank you , I couldn't find how to start new thread so I posed here. I'll try and look again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Thank you for helping him. How did you catch him? Which rescue center? Will they give you any information about his well being? I’m curious to know what may be wrong.

Just for future reference, a TSB member has a wildlife facility in Vancouver, WA. called Squirrel Refuge of Vancouver 360-836-0955.
    They confirmed rodent poison, she's in ICU and still showing neurologic symptoms, prognosis is 'guarded but cautiously optimistic'. For anyone in NW WA thinking of taking an animal to Sarvey Wildlife Center I can say my experience with them has been really positive so far, I felt like she (the squirrel, a female it turns out) was in good hands and they replied to my email asking for a status update really promptly today, which was more than I expected considering they have a lot going on.

For anyone who might be wondering what rodent poisoning can look like, the squirrel was perched in her favorite spot on our patio but hunched over with her nose down at her toes, and shuddering every few seconds. Occasionally would look around but then would go back to doing that. Hopefully Sarvey is able to pull her through.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to wwnash:

Diggie's Friend (05-18-2023), MyBushyTail (05-10-2023), Tashahaven (05-11-2023)

Oh that poor sweetheart...Douglas squirrels are so beautiful. Praying that she comes out of this nightmare.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Tashahaven (05-11-2023)

Have you heard anything back from the facility about the status of your squirrel? Hope they are ok