Thread: Squirrel seizure

Default Squirrel seizure

My 2 month old grey squirrel just had a seizure that has her laying down barely breathing and opening her mouth every 10ish seconds what should i do
    the seizure consisted of her tilting her head side to side at first, then having her tail and head flail in the air, doing what looks like a superman pose.

Default Re: Squirrel seizure

how do i tell if she is dead, she is taking longer time inbetween breaths

Quote Originally Posted by DaBeast View Post
    My 2 month old grey squirrel just had a seizure that has her laying down barely breathing and opening her mouth every 10ish seconds what should i do
    the seizure consisted of her tilting her head side to side at first, then having her tail and head flail in the air, doing what looks like a superman pose.
    Is you Squirrel now awake and moving and interacting or is she still seizing? Is there any history of a head injury in the past? One of the possible causes for this seizure is hypoglycemia (decreased blood sugar)! An animal or human for that matter looses protective reflexes when the are having a seizure so giving fluids or food can result in immediate aspiration (the material being fed goes into the lungs) which must be avoided. Hopefully your Squirrel is awake! I would recommend using some kind of concentrated sugary substance such as karo syrup, honey or fruit jelly and apply this in drops to the Squirrel's tongue. If the Squirrel is awake she should be able to swallow this. If certain that she is awake and able to swallow you can use a 1cc syringe to hold the sugary substance and mix it with a small amount of warm water and give drop by drop as if you were feeding formula. Try this now as a hypoglycemic seizure, if that is what is going on can be fatal!
    Let us know how things are going but get the honey or syrup into her mouth (just drop by drop) immediately. Be very careful to use a little at a time but if no longer seizing, you can use the 1 cc syringe if she is taking fluids safely! This is definitely an emergency!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirel

how do i tell if she is dead, she is taking longer time inbetween breaths
    If she is breathing very slowly it may very well be a sign of her about to pass but please try the sugar now anyway!

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

DaBeast (04-12-2023), Diggie's Friend (04-12-2023)

i dont have any sugar, will strawberry juice work?

i dont have any sugar, will strawberry juice work?
    Do you have syrup or honey? That would be much preferred but if all you have is strawberry juice that can be tried. This truly is an emergency. Please try to get something sweet into your Little Squirrel! Thanks!
    StS

strawberry juice is not working, its mouth has gone cold, it is still barely breathing.

strawberry juice is not working, its mouth has gone cold, it is still barely breathing.
    I'm so sorry, DaBeast! Please keep her warm and comfortable until you know she has passed. Thank you for trying to help this Little One! If you don't mind my asking, what led up to this if there was anything your noticed? What was your Squirrel's diet and what formula was she taking? This seizure episode may have been from hypoglycemia but there are certainly other possibilities.
    RIP Little Squirrel!
    SamtheSquirrel

Hello again DaBeast:
    I tried to send a Private Message to you earlier before my posts on the open Board but it appears that your account has not yet been setup for PM's. I am truly sorry for this sad event. What is the status of your Squirrel now? Thanks again for all of your efforts to help you Squirrel and the love and care you bestowed upon this little Squirrel while you were raising her!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel