Quote Originally Posted by KAT8994 View Post
We FINALLY caught him suckling himself. Right after a feed while trying to go to sleep. He's sucking like it's a pacifier! It's the oddest thing. How can we overcome that?
Hi KAT8994:
Sorry I couldn't get back with you sooner! I assume "Runty" (does he have a real name?) is still getting formula on a regular basis as this is the staple of nutritional support at this age although as Spanky mentioned, it is essential that you introduce all of the babies to a quality block such as Envigo 2018 (Harlan/Teklad) or Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet. These blocks can be free-fed (the Squirrels can eat as much as they want). Henry's Healthy Blocks are another option but while they constitute a full and complete diet, they are highly concentrated and must NOT be free-fed. The limit for an adult Squirrel is 2-3 (at the most) blocks per day. For your babies, you can cut a Henry's block in half or thirds and let the Little Ones eat those divided portions and this will help prevent waste of what are relatively expensive blocks! I can think of two very likely causes for the self-suckling (and the sucking of his litter-mates) that you have observed; hunger and comfort! If "Runty" was only self-suckling, I would recommend returning him to his litter-mates but that may not be good in light of him suckling them as well as himself.

When "Runty" is busy eating, he will not be self-suckling! I have a suggestion although I have never needed to consider this in the past for any Squirrels in my care but other may have tried this and have some reservations or possibly some suggestions to make this more likely to be successful. It may be worth trying using one of your nipples as a pacifier and having it positioned so that it is available at all times, close by, and positioned to easily allow "Runty" to suckle that. You could initially put a small thin "splat" of honey on the tip portion of the nipple to entice him to use it. If it appears that "Runty" is chewing up the pacifyer rather than "suckling" it; further use should be discontinued. We do not want to have any change that a piece of the nipple would lodge in the throat or be aspirated into the breathing tubes which could block or decrease breathing and must be strictly avoided! Please keep us updated how the three of your little Squirrels are doing and especially what your are doing about "Runty"! Again, I apologize for not being able to respond to your most recent post! I feel that this self-suckling can be effectively dealt with but it will probably require more direct involvement with him that the other babies who are not indulging in this behavior. It is definitely not unusual however!
Regards,
SamtheSquirrel