Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 babies came out of tree cutdown today - what to feed them overnight ?

Default Re: 4 babies came out of tree cutdown today - what to feed them overnight ?

Hi Sam,
    ok finally weighed them this morning.

2 of the girls are at 2.9 oz, the boy runt and other girl are 2.8 oz.
    Eyes not open yet.

So thats between 79 to 82 g each.
    5% of 80g is 4g = about 4ml of formula, right ?

We've been feeding them about 3 to 3.5 ml each, and one of them wanted more this morning so she got 4ml.

Default Re: 4 babies came out of tree cutdown today - what to feed them overnight ?

Name:  IMG_3637.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  75.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Stevelisa View Post
    Name:  IMG_3637.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  75.8 KB
    What a beautiful Little Squirrel!!
    StS

Hi Sam,
    ok finally weighed them this morning.

2 of the girls are at 2.9 oz, the boy runt and other girl are 2.8 oz.
    Eyes not open yet.

So thats between 79 to 82 g each.
    5% of 80g is 4g = about 4ml of formula, right ?

We've been feeding them about 3 to 3.5 ml each, and one of them wanted more this morning so she got 4ml.
    Hi SL:

Your Little Squirrels look very good!

I do have a few more questions, suggestions and comments (so what else is new!).

Are you using the recommendation from Henry's for guidelines of care such as a bin for housing, air holes in the lid, heating pad withOUT auto-shutoff on low and under 1/2 the bin. What is the formula you are using and how are you mixing it? How often are you feeding!

The math seems good but ideally, a scale that weighs directly in grams will be somewhat more accurate as you are making small approximations with the math math conversion. Also, of course, since you need Grams for the formula dosing, reading the weight in Grams not only makes sense but is easier as no math is needed.

I would recommend not ever giving less than 5% and use a maximum of 7% but within this range is some wiggle room. I would suggest giving each of the babies at least 5% of their weight and more if they will take it as long as you are not in any way force-feeding and that you have not exceeded 7% max. With the babies I have raised (and I am not a big-time rehabber by anyone's stretch of imagination), I will let the Squirrels regularly eat at the 6% number and sometimes a little more but never more than 7%. It is essential to monitor their pooping also and white stool and/or loose stool are common indicators of overfeeding. Also, the abdomen should never be taut and distended (bloated appearing) as this can make aspiration more of a risk! Aspiration is another risk of over-feeding and this is where stomach contents are refluxed and end up in the lungs or breathing tubes or where some of the formula goes directly into the breathing tubes during feeding. While the risk of aspiration can never be totally eliminated; slow accurate feedings using a 1cc syringe with the Squirrel held upright and held without pressure being applied to the belly will help to keep the risk of aspiration at a minimum. It seems that your Squirrels are probably close to 4 weeks of age. They are not yet able to regulate their temperature at this age. I would recommend feeding every 4 hours with no more than 6 hours "off" of feedings during the night. I hope others will comment as well!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Hello again SL:
    I just wanted to thank you again for your compassion and willingness to care for these little Squirrels ! I neglected mention in my recent post that not only is the 5% to 7% "rule" a very good guide but in order to dose the formula optimally, the weight should be obtained on EACH Squirrel every morning before the first feeding and using theses weights, calculate the amount of formula to give with EACH feeding to EACH baby based each Squirrel's indivudual weight!
    Thanks again!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Thanks Sts,

Lisa is looking after the 4 babies, im mostly looking out for chippy and coco between my day job lol.
    These squirrels are a handful . Plus Chippy has been in full chatter mode. I cleaned all the nuts out of her stash over Easter, it was stressing her out so much she couldn't control her instinctive RED nerves

Name:  20230408_142044545_iOS.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  88.1 KB

Thanks Sts,

Lisa is looking after the 4 babies, im mostly looking out for chippy and coco between my day job lol.
    These squirrels are a handful . Plus Chippy has been in full chatter mode. I cleaned all the nuts out of her stash over Easter, it was stressing her out so much she couldn't control her instinctive RED nerves

Name:  20230408_142044545_iOS.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  88.1 KB
    WOW! Looks like a herd of Squirrels attacked you! They are very protective of their food and if they are stashing, it's definitely NOT out-of-sight-out-of-mind! We may not be successful finding stashes on our initial attempts but often the Squirrels will let us know when we are close! Just out of curiosity, is your Day Job being a Hand Model. If so, you may be out of work for a while until you heal and you will have more time with the Squirrels!
    Regards and as always, thanks to Lisa and you for your loving care of these wonderful little creatures!
    SamtheSquirrel

This may come too late for you but others may benefit... when cleaning out stashes, it is always a good idea to separate the stashing squirrel into a separate cage and separate room. Best they not even see us attempting to rob them of their hidden treasures!

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (04-11-2023), Mel1959 (04-12-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (04-11-2023), Tashahaven (04-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    This may come too late for you but others may benefit... when cleaning out stashes, it is always a good idea to separate the stashing squirrel into a separate cage and separate room. Best they not even see us attempting to rob them of their hidden treasures!
    Great idea! Just another caution with this though is that fairly often we are prompted to suspect a stash based upon a significant behavioral change in a once gentle Squirrel becoming an attack machine! If a Squirrel finds a way to stash, it may become a bit of a crap-shoot just by opening the cage door! Be prepared!
    StS

Of course we take her in another room to do that.
    With gloves on, cage door open, i let her jump into my hands, then arms way up run down to my office work space. I need to keep her distracted to get her out of the living room area, before she tries to jump on the sides of Coco's cage, that is beside hers. We've already discussed this before with Diggie's Friend, the danger of letting them fight on either side of a cage is one will eventually lose a finger or toe. The younger Coco did get her paw bit a few months ago.
    Once down in the other room, Chippy calms down after 5 minutes. I take the gloves off there. Once in a while she isn't calmed down enough and goes for my hands. I just keep them still, talk softly, she lets go.

When its time to go back, she sits in my hands gloves on walking back to cage, but she always jumps off to the top of Coco's Critternation cage. Then its play fighting to keep her on my gloves and arms, all to maneuver her back to the door of her cage, then she goes in. But she sometimes bites through the thick work gloves. So its a bit of a routine there and back. Im used to the odd bite as she doesn't mean it. As CM says... reds sheesh, lol.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Stevelisa from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (04-11-2023)

Chippy in one of her rare relaxing moments….
    Name:  IMG_3513.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  83.0 KB

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Stevelisa from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (04-11-2023)

this thread can be moved out of EMergency by now...

💕❤️🥰

Thank goodness you were able to take these littles in and care for them.

Reds are common where I’m moving to. It will be interesting to observe them and see how they differ from fox 🐿️

Sending my love to these cuties. 🥰

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

Stevelisa (04-13-2023)

We had an terrible accident the next day after your post above. 2 of the girl babies were put aside during feeding under a blanket, to feed the other 2 next. One of us had to go to the bathroom, while that one of the kids came in and sat down where the blanket was.. when we realized what happened, we tried to revive them but it was too late. Their eyes weren't even opened yet. We feel quite bad about this. The other 2 are a black girl and gray boy, we're being more careful with them.

Awe I’m SO SORRY this happened stevelisa. I know how much you love these little ones, and are caring for them greatly. What a tragic story. Know it was not your fault. Accidents happen, and while they are devastating and sad, you are still doing an amazing thing continuing to love and nurture the little ones you have. I’m so sorry for the pain and sadness you are experiencing.

They were lucky to have the love you gave them, a quick death, and a peaceful transition to the rainbow bridge 🌈 ❤️

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

Stevelisa (05-02-2023)

These 2 are growing fast, the boy(gray) is now 7.8 oz(220g), the sister(black) is 8.2 oz(230g).
    They're each taking about 12-14 of 1ml syringe of Esbilac.
    Will send a picture later.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Stevelisa from:

Chirps (05-02-2023)

The growing gray boy, milk moustache
    Name:  IMG_3838.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  79.2 KB

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Stevelisa from:

Tashahaven (05-02-2023)

The gray boy Barry and black girl Bella are quite a size now, seem very healthy. But getting too big and wild to keep inside much longer. I finally made the RC, first intended for reds Chippy and Coco, but we’re putting these 2 first.
    Name:  IMG_4068.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  181.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4073.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  150.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4076.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  157.9 KB

Tremendous job, SteveLisa!!! Thanks for all you have done so lovingly for these Squirrels!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Name:  IMG_4175.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  124.2 KB
    That’s Barry, he’s a dark gray; his sister is black. She will bite me if I get too close. They only let Lisa near them. Was very hot today… I put my 1950s pedestal fan beside them and sprayed a fine mist from the hose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast