Thread: Baby constipated!!

Default Baby constipated!!

I really need help..I have a little 7 week old Grey squirrel..found him 2 weeks ago..started him on pet ag from Walmart he seemed to do well..he started potty on his own so I stopped stimulating him..he got backed up..his butt had something dried on it..got it off and he released the poop..I got scared went bought esbilac a week ago and he has been badly constipated since then..been doing warm baths..massages..prune juice and water 50/50..water and honey water between feedings..and plain yogurt once a day...I've gotten him to go a few times but now he hasn't pooped since yesterday and it was only 3 little balls kind of hard but malleable..Should I switch his formula to Fox Valley?? Please help?!

Default Re: Baby constipated!!

Is your Esbilac can the one with the white puppy on the label or the black puppy on the label? Esbilac has recently changed their formula (the black puppy can) and it appears to have more fillers in it and does not seem to be as easy to process thru the squirrels digestive system. It sounds like you are doing everything right by adding hydration between feedings, warm baths etc. and I suggest continue doing those things. Squirrels don’t have a bowel movement with every feeding. Make sure there is no dried feces blocking the anus and rub a little coconut on the rectum to provide some lubrication.

I think FV 20/50 is a superior formula. If you have the new Esbilac (black puppy) you might want to consider switching to FV. Just be sure you transition to it slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Is your Esbilac can the one with the white puppy on the label or the black puppy on the label? Esbilac has recently changed their formula (the black puppy can) and it appears to have more fillers in it and does not seem to be as easy to process thru the squirrels digestive system. It sounds like you are doing everything right by adding hydration between feedings, warm baths etc. and I suggest continue doing those things. Squirrels don’t have a bowel movement with every feeding. Make sure there is no dried feces blocking the anus and rub a little coconut on the rectum to provide some lubrication.

I think FV 20/50 is a superior formula. If you have the new Esbilac (black puppy) you might want to consider switching to FV. Just be sure you transition to it slowly.
    Thank you..It's the esbilac with the white puppy with prebiotic and prebiotics.. I've been using coconut oil/mineral oil..there was one dried piece in the anal opening yesterday which I got out..it's hard around his anus..I gave him mineral oil orally and anal last night bout 12:30..It concerns me because he is underweight 107g this morning and I know he should start rodent blocks..but it scares me to introduce new food for fear that it could make it worse..I was thinking maybe his little system is just not digesting the esbilac..I make sure he's warm before feeding and keep the formula warm...but I didn't know if it would be bad to switch formula again..or if I should go ahead and get the fv?

Some some formula hygiene reminders as not following these can cause digestive issues.

1) Store the opened powdered formula in the freezer (minimally the fridge); leaving at room temperature will result in its going rancid.
    2) Mixed formula is kept in the fridge
    3) Never rewarm formula... if the formula is warmed for feeding but not used, throw it out. We recommended warming the formula in the syringe submerged a cup of hot hot water.
    4) Ideally mix formula 8 hours in advance and only mix about 48 hours worth at a time. Discard unused formula after ~72 hours
    5) Mix each formula batch in a fresh container.

I would get the 20/50 as it is a better formulation for older squirrels. I personally prefer using 50% Esbilac and 50% Fox Valley 20/50 starting age 3.5 weeks through weaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Some some formula hygiene reminders as not following these can cause digestive issues.

1) Store the opened powdered formula in the freezer (minimally the fridge); leaving at room temperature will result in its going rancid.
    2) Mixed formula is kept in the fridge
    3) Never rewarm formula... if the formula is warmed for feeding but not used, throw it out. We recommended warming the formula in the syringe submerged a cup of hot hot water.
    4) Ideally mix formula 8 hours in advance and only mix about 48 hours worth at a time. Discard unused formula after ~72 hours
    5) Mix each formula batch in a fresh container.

I would get the 20/50 as it is a better formulation for older squirrels. I personally prefer using 50% Esbilac and 50% Fox Valley 20/50 starting age 3.5 weeks through weaning.
    Thank you. Thankfully his digestive issues have finally resolved..he is having no problems now..Thank you all for your advice..I really appreciate it.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to New Mom from:

Mel1959 (04-06-2023)