Thread: NEED HELP STAT! BLOODY POOP

Default NEED HELP STAT! BLOODY POOP

I HAVE A 7 WEEK OLD FOX SQUIRREL. NOT THE ONE I POSTED ABOUT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO HAVING CLOUDY URINE. WITHIN THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS I NOTICED SHE WASN'T EATING LIKE SHE NORMALLY DOES. SHE NORMALLY EATS ABOUT 15CC NOW SHES DOWN TO ABOUT 9CC. I STARTED THEM ON EPR THEN SWITCHED THEM TO FOX V 20/50. THEN FRIDAY I HAD TO CHANGE THEM BACK TO EPR BECAUSE THEIR FOX VALLEY HAD A SHIPPING ERROR SO I DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE. NOW THEY ARE BACK ON fV. ANYWAY, YESTERFDAY HER POOP BECAME PALE/MUSHY. I NOTICED THIS MORNING HER POOP LOOKED IT HAD 1 TINY DOT OF PINK IN IT. 3 HOURS LATER HER POOP NOW HAS BLOOD IN IT. I HAVE CALLED EVERY VET IN MY SURROUNDING AREA AND NO ONE WILL SEE SQUIRRELS. IM IN PANIC MODE. PLEASE HELP. SHE WEIGHTS ABOUT 290G - 7WEEKS OLD GIVE OR TAKE. HER HEARTRATE SEEMS A LITTLE FAST COMPARED TO THE OTHER TWO. I HAVE NOT STARTED THEM ON SOLIDS YET. I WAS GOING TO START WITH SWEET POTATO TODAY BUT THIS HAS CAME UP.

Default Re: NEED HELP STAT! BLOODY POOP

It is always helpful though gross, to post pictures of the poop since it speaks volumes of info.

Is the poop still "Pale and Mushy"? That is typical of over-feeding, but that dose not sound like the issue here.

It sounds like the blood in the poop is pink or red )"fresh blood" and not tarry and black (old blood)... did you examine her bottom for signs of a scratch or other injury? If she is with other litter mates, they can end up with small scratches from crawling on one another.

What is the amount of blood? If it is a a lot, giving some vitamin K-1 may help.

Best case it is GI upset from the formula switching that will resolve itself with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    It is always helpful though gross, to post pictures of the poop since it speaks volumes of info.

Is the poop still "Pale and Mushy"? That is typical of over-feeding, but that dose not sound like the issue here.

It sounds like the blood in the poop is pink or red )"fresh blood" and not tarry and black (old blood)... did you examine her bottom for signs of a scratch or other injury? If she is with other litter mates, they can end up with small scratches from crawling on one another.

What is the amount of blood? If it is a a lot, giving some vitamin K-1 may help.

Best case it is GI upset from the formula switching that will resolve itself with time.
    I HAD TO DO A POST FROM MY LAPTOP BECASE MY PHONE IS UPDATING. ITS ABOUT DONE. AS SOON AS IT IS I WILL POST A PIC.

HER POOP IS VERY PALE AND MUSHY.

SHE HAS TWO SISTERS. THEY DO LAY AROUND ON ONE ANOTHER SOME BUT I CHECKED HER OVER AND I DO NOT SEE ANY SCRATCHES. HER BOTTOM LOOKS FINE. AFTER HER LAST POOP SHE HAD A LITTLE BLOOD RING AROUND HER ANUS FROM DRIED BLOOD. BUT SHE JUST NOW STARTED POOPING BLOOD. IT WAS JUST PALE/MUSHY.

ABOUT TO POST A PHOTO HERE IN A MINUTE.

Name:  6B505286-1076-4F9F-A60F-DAC09E0AFCF0.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  114.4 KB
    The poop she just pooped is back to pale/mushy again. It’s the one on the bottom. The one one the top is the previous bowel movement. Not sure what’s going on. I did give her a bath before the bloody bowel movement. Maybe strained? Her urine is normal. The blood is still very pale and mushy though.

I think it is the fox valley formula. It smells good and is in date. But my other black faced one won’t eat now either. I just tried to feed them both. The other one took a few drinks of the fox valley and wouldn’t drink anymore so I mixed up some of the EPR and she drank about six ML’s of it. My third girl was the first one to eat, and she drank about 15 ML’s of it. But all of their poop is now pale. The third girl that still eating good although her poop is pale, it’s still formed, but it’s softer and longer. The other two girls poop is just mushy and pale. So I’m no longer going to use the Fox Valley. I don’t know what’s going on with it but I think it’s the issue. So I’m just gonna go back to using the EPR and see if that helps. I don’t know what else to do. Should I try to give them something else in the meantime since they won’t drink the milk? I do not have any Pedialyte here but I do have some liquidIv in lemon flavor. I just don’t want to get their stomachs tore up even worse than what it already is. Should I go a while without feeding them?

You can give Homemade Hydration solution:
    1 cup warm water
    1 tbsp sugar
    1/4 tps salt

Is there anything being added to the FV at all? Like cream, Ultraboost or anything else?

Is the FV (and EPR)) powder being stored in the freezer (minimally the fridge)? If left at room temperature it will go bad / rancrd in a few days.

I have not heard any negative reports on the Fox Valley 20/50 (the 32/40 should be avoided IMO) but this should raise some caution for us all.

Okay. Just got done feeding. Poop is starting to firm up again.
    Oak- the sickly baby
    Hickory-the one that’s starting not to eat well
    Ash-the normal one

Oak: Oak’s poop is darkening. Has some blood. Also has a smell. You can’t smell it unless it’s close to your nose but the best way I can describe it is a bad tooth smell. She just ate 15ml which is more than she has eaten in the last 24hours. Her poop is firming back up though. It has been very creamy/mushy

Hickory - poop is firming back up. She ate 11 ml which is way less than normal. She is the biggest and a usual hog. Her poop is the light colored in the photo.

Ash: still seems normal. Eating very good. She does not lay with the other 2 often which is pretty normal. She’s kind of a loner. Name:  33DB97C9-5384-4BC6-AB83-E24270CD3615.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  79.5 KBName:  31933305-0195-4A63-AD13-90A15B793969.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  122.0 KBName:  777E92FB-D962-4E29-9EE0-D78F2398979A.jpg
Size:  100.4 KBName:  777E92FB-D962-4E29-9EE0-D78F2398979A.jpg
Size:  100.4 KB

You can give Homemade Hydration solution:
    1 cup warm water
    1 tbsp sugar
    1/4 tps salt

Is there anything being added to the FV at all? Like cream, Ultraboost or anything else?

Is the FV (and EPR)) powder being stored in the freezer (minimally the fridge)? If left at room temperature it will go bad / rancrd in a few days.

I have not heard any negative reports on the Fox Valley 20/50 (the 32/40 should be avoided IMO) but this should raise some caution for us all.
    I’m worried that she has coccidia

Quote Originally Posted by Chippergray View Post
    I’m worried that she has coccidia

That is not coccidia poo IMO...

In event that there is an issue, do you have any meds on hand? Metronidazole ("metro"),
    Sulfadimethoxine ("Albon"), fenbendazole ("Panacur"), etc.

In event that there is an issue, do you have any meds on hand? Metronidazole ("metro"),
    The night I posted this, oak didn’t each much at all. I gave her 8 hours before I fed her again. After that she’s when back to eating normal and acts normal. However, tonight Ash has diarrhea. All of their poop is dark green pellets. I mean they have been since the have been back on EPR. Her diarrhea smells like dog poop though. Ugh! What could be going on? She’s drinking 21cc and she’s about 300 grams.

Oh and I have some Fluconazole, Cipr 500 caps, and I may have 1 SMZ pill 800/125. I will have to see if I can find it.