Thread: Can I see photos/plans of the PVC portal on your release cage?

Default Can I see photos/plans of the PVC portal on your release cage?

I’m trying to figure out how to make the portal on the soft release cage but having trouble understanding. Thank you!

Default Re: Can I see photos/plans of the PVC portal on your release cage?

Does not need to be anything fancy, an oversized piece of hardware cloth over a 3" X 3" opening (for greys, for flyers the opening should be 1.5" X 1.5").

Here are a few examples....

This first one you can simply remove the larger piece of hardware cloth when portal opening day comes. I usually have 6 clasps and 2 finger loop springs holding it on when outdoors being used for release. This is one a 30" W X 64" L X 69" H cage on wheels that I move around as well as in and out of the house (can't beat this one for overwintering as well as releasing!). Credit to Javarat who posted his cages whcih inspired me to build mine.
    Name:  Portal_3.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  127.4 KB

This is on one of the larger, permanent release cages. Unhook the springs and the "door" folds down.
    Name:  Portal_2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  109.9 KB

Here is a picture simply of a 3" X 3" opening. This one is on the anteroom of one of the release cages on which the anteroom portal is left open all the time. I keep fresh water and a nest box in the ante-room. I have had about 1/2 dozen injured releases (I assume prior releases) return to the anteroom for assistance with serious injuries or simply a safe place to recoup from minor ones. And more than one mom has that decided it was a perfect place to have their babies.
    Name:  Portal_1.jpg
Size:  103.3 KB

Thank you! I’d actually considered something like this but was worried about sharp edges everywhere! I felt I’d seen PVC portals on some here, but haven’t been able to find pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Does not need to be anything fancy, an oversized piece of hardware cloth over a 3" X 3" opening (for greys, for flyers the opening should be 1.5" X 1.5").

Here are a few examples....

This first one you can simply remove the larger piece of hardware cloth when portal opening day comes. I usually have 6 clasps and 2 finger loop springs holding it on when outdoors being used for release. This is one a 30" W X 64" L X 69" H cage on wheels that I move around as well as in and out of the house (can't beat this one for overwintering as well as releasing!). Credit to Javarat who posted his cages whcih inspired me to build mine.
    Name:  Portal_3.jpg
Size:  127.4 KB

This is on one of the larger, permanent release cages. Unhook the springs and the "door" folds down.
    Name:  Portal_2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  109.9 KB

Here is a picture simply of a 3" X 3" opening. This one is on the anteroom of one of the release cages on which the anteroom portal is left open all the time. I keep fresh water and a nest box in the ante-room. I have had about 1/2 dozen injured releases (I assume prior releases) return to the anteroom for assistance with serious injuries or simply a safe place to recoup from minor ones. And more than one mom has that decided it was a perfect place to have their babies.
    Name:  Portal_1.jpg
Size:  103.3 KB

Get a good pair of flush cutters (pliers) from a tool store. These are different than diagonal cutters, as they DONT leave any sharp edge. When held flush against the cut portion of the hardware cloth, it’s literally FLUSH. To be safe, you can run your fingers over the edges and file off any minor sharp edges. But the flush cut pliers do most of that work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashahaven View Post
    Get a good pair of flush cutters (pliers) from a tool store. These are different than diagonal cutters, as they DONT leave any sharp edge. When held flush against the cut portion of the hardware cloth, it’s literally FLUSH. To be safe, you can run your fingers over the edges and file off any minor sharp edges. But the flush cut pliers do most of that work for you.
    A Dremel or other rotary tool is also terrific for smoothing things out and eliminating burrs.!

Yes! Agreed Spanky.

But if you don’t have a dermal (rotary tool) the flush cutters, and a file are a great option too. 🙂

I love how much valuable insight and experience there is on TSB.