Thread: Pet squirrel has gone nuts

Default Pet squirrel has gone nuts

We've had our precious Pip since July of 2022. Wife has raised him from pinky to I guess you could say junior age and has had the most of the time with him since I work from 7-7 5 days a week. All has been well up until about 2 weeks ago. He bit me first the wife thought that i had pinched his tail but i didnt. He literally lunged at me the and wrapped his body around my hand and took a chomp. Two days later he then bit the wife we then managed to get him back in his habitat(carefully). He then didn't go nuts for a couple of days.We then thought that it is a puberty thing(his Nads had gotten bigger). We've even gotten him a stuffed "Squirrel Friend" to help him that. He has then since bitten me three more times in the past three days.We take very good loving quality care of him. He gets plenty of exercise. He eats better than we do lol. Henry blocks, wood sorrel, clover, fruit, avocado, npecans, walnuts. We've been talking about surrendering him to the wildlife preservation center, But we're scared that they'll do. Any advice would be appreciated

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pipthesquirrel:

olorin19 (03-24-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (03-24-2023)

Default Re: Pet squirrel has gone nuts

It sounds like Pip is just doing what squirrels do as they reach maturity. It’s instinctual for them to want to live in the trees and procreate. Pip isn’t too old for you to release him at an appropriate place….hopefully your backyard. Many rehabbers in northern climates keep their babies over the winter and release in the springtime when temperatures are more moderate, there’s leaves on the trees and food becomes abundant. We like to do what is called a slow release where the squirrel is put outside in a cage for a couple of weeks where he can acclimate to the sites, sounds and smells of outdoors. After that time the portal door is opened and he’s allowed to come and go as he pleases. Many will return to the release cage to sleep for awhile and others will never look back. Provide food in the cage once the door is opened so he’s not thrust into a new situation without sustenance.

Here’s a link to the slow release process. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-How-to-Sticky

And here’s a link about building an outdoor release cage. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...r-release-cage

Best of luck to you and Pip. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Charley Chuckles (03-24-2023), Chirps (03-24-2023), fanofmothernature (03-24-2023), Grinderhead (03-24-2023), gunpackingrandma (03-24-2023), olorin19 (03-24-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (03-24-2023), Stevelisa (03-24-2023)

Hi PiptheSquirrel:
    I would like to add to the information Mel provided as a soft release may not be something you are able or willing to indulge in. If you are willing to build a release cage and slowly transition Pip to the Wild, it would be wonderful, indeed! Another option would be to contact a licensed Wildlife Rehabber in Alabama and discuss possibibly giving up Pip to the facility IF there is some way you could be convinced that they would "Soft Release" Pip and not euthanize him. Unfortunately, even with some Wildlife Rehabbers or Wildlife Refuges; especially if they have a large volume of animals, it is somewhat of a "crapshoot" as to what they are willing or able to do with a grown and "wilding up" pet Squirrel! As it appears that you are Alabama, here is a list of Rehabbers in that State: https://www.outdooralabama.com/wildl...life-rehabbers

It is possible that some of TSB members may have some definitive experience with one or more Rehabbers in Alabama and can give you some information that may better lead to a promising release strategy for Pip!

PLEASE do NOT "surrender" Pip to Game Wardens or Fish & Wildlife Department employees or any Government entity. It will surely be a death sentence for little Pip! These or similar branches of a States bureaucracy to NOT exist to help you or your Squirrel! They will either euthanize Pip or simply let him loose. While this option may at first sound appealing, it will be "doomsday" for Pip! The Game Warden type people often use the method of a "hard release" (simple letting the animal go) and cloak it to you and others as somehing that should bne done for an animal that was born to be wild. Don't be fooled! The only benefit that letting Pip loose in the wild will have is as a meal for predators and Pips short life to that point will be filled with fear and most likely suffering!

As Mel has mentioned, Squirrels must transition to becoming acclimated to the wild and cannot simply be "let go!" The acclimation process is what has come to be called a "soft release." This can sometimes take as short as a couple of weeks but often longer. Please review the links that Mel has posted. Again, if this is something you would would be willing to do, it could be ideal for Pip assuming that your home had some " trees, "run room" food sources (although you can continue to give Pip food after release as many of us do for our releases) and no nearby heavy traffic, among other conditions or concerns.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

6. 10 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

Charley Chuckles (03-24-2023), Chirps (03-24-2023), Diggie's Friend (03-24-2023), Grinderhead (03-24-2023), gunpackingrandma (03-24-2023), Mel1959 (03-24-2023), olorin19 (03-24-2023), Pipthesquirrel (03-27-2023), Stevelisa (03-24-2023), Tashahaven (03-26-2023)

I really hope you can release Pip right there at your place. It is such a great feeling to have your baby come to see you and get treats then go off and do their squirrel thing. I hope you get to experience that!

Meantime, have you ruled out other possible causes for his aggression like a change in scents (soap, shampoo, deodorant) or him having a stash that he was defending?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Diggie's Friend (03-24-2023), olorin19 (03-24-2023), Pipthesquirrel (03-27-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (03-24-2023)

In the TSB section about building the release cage, it mentions 'hardware cloth'. What exactly is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevelisa View Post
    In the TSB section about building the release cage, it mentions 'hardware cloth'. What exactly is that ?
    It is the building term for 1/2" x 1/2" galvanized wire mesh. Sometimes smaller (like Ace or Tru Value or darm supply/hardware stores will sell it off big rolls by the foot and it is a much better price.

It is pretty strong and nothing can get between the small mesh. Racoons can do some terrible things to squirrels in cages outside where they can get just ONE paw on them through the bars.

11. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (03-24-2023), Diggie's Friend (03-24-2023), olorin19 (03-24-2023), Pipthesquirrel (03-29-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (03-24-2023), Stevelisa (03-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It sounds like Pip is just doing what squirrels do as they reach maturity. It’s instinctual for them to want to live in the trees and procreate. Pip isn’t too old for you to release him at an appropriate place….hopefully your backyard. Many rehabbers in northern climates keep their babies over the winter and release in the springtime when temperatures are more moderate, there’s leaves on the trees and food becomes abundant. We like to do what is called a slow release where the squirrel is put outside in a cage for a couple of weeks where he can acclimate to the sites, sounds and smells of outdoors. After that time the portal door is opened and he’s allowed to come and go as he pleases. Many will return to the release cage to sleep for awhile and others will never look back. Provide food in the cage once the door is opened so he’s not thrust into a new situation without sustenance.

Here’s a link to the slow release process. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-How-to-Sticky

And here’s a link about building an outdoor release cage. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...r-release-cage

Best of luck to you and Pip. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
    Agreed with Mel on not being too old to release.

I have overwintered then released six squirrels into my backyard, and all but one hung around and moved back into their nest box the next winter.

These squirrels were born somewhere between mid July and mid September then released in mid May, so 8-10 months old when released.

13. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to olorin19:

Chirps (03-25-2023), Diggie's Friend (03-24-2023), Mel1959 (03-24-2023), Pipthesquirrel (03-29-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (03-24-2023)

We've had our precious Pip since July of 2022. Wife has raised him from pinky to I guess you could say junior age and has had the most of the time with him since I work from 7-7 5 days a week. All has been well up until about 2 weeks ago. He bit me first the wife thought that i had pinched his tail but i didnt. He literally lunged at me the and wrapped his body around my hand and took a chomp. ...Any advice would be appreciated
    Pretty much the same thing happened with a squirrel we raised that refused contact at about 7 mo. and bit both of us. We released her into our yard with the support of a large nest box with a baffle that my hubby custom made to protect her from raccoons. Being in an area where raising to release is not allowed; a release cage, the best option, wasn't an option for us to support her with. She lived past 6 years down the block in a large tree, where she had her babies. Of the generations that followed them, many became regular visitors to our yard; one of these squirrels was our dear yard friend, Ms. Diggie, who lived to reach 9 years.

15. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Charley Chuckles (03-24-2023), Chirps (03-25-2023), Lighten-Up (03-24-2023), olorin19 (03-24-2023), Pipthesquirrel (03-27-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (03-24-2023), Stevelisa (03-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by olorin19 View Post
    I have overwintered then released six squirrels into my backyard, and all but one hung around and moved back into their nest box the next winter.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Stevelisa from:

Pipthesquirrel (03-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi PiptheSquirrel:
    I would like to add to the information Mel provided as a soft release may not be something you are able or willing to indulge in. If you are willing to build a release cage and slowly transition Pip to the Wild, it would be wonderful, indeed! Another option would be to contact a licensed Wildlife Rehabber in Alabama and discuss possibibly giving up Pip to the facility IF there is some way you could be convinced that they would "Soft Release" Pip and not euthanize him. Unfortunately, even with some Wildlife Rehabbers or Wildlife Refuges; especially if they have a large volume of animals, it is somewhat of a "crapshoot" as to what they are willing or able to do with a grown and "wilding up" pet Squirrel! As it appears that you are Alabama, here is a list of Rehabbers in that State: https://www.outdooralabama.com/wildl...life-rehabbers

It is possible that some of TSB members may have some definitive experience with one or more Rehabbers in Alabama and can give you some information that may better lead to a promising release strategy for Pip!

PLEASE do NOT "surrender" Pip to Game Wardens or Fish & Wildlife Department employees or any Government entity. It will surely be a death sentence for little Pip! These or similar branches of a States bureaucracy to NOT exist to help you or your Squirrel! They will either euthanize Pip or simply let him loose. While this option may at first sound appealing, it will be "doomsday" for Pip! The Game Warden type people often use the method of a "hard release" (simple letting the animal go) and cloak it to you and others as somehing that should bne done for an animal that was born to be wild. Don't be fooled! The only benefit that letting Pip loose in the wild will have is as a meal for predators and Pips short life to that point will be filled with fear and most likely suffering!

As Mel has mentioned, Squirrels must transition to becoming acclimated to the wild and cannot simply be "let go!" The acclimation process is what has come to be called a "soft release." This can sometimes take as short as a couple of weeks but often longer. Please review the links that Mel has posted. Again, if this is something you would would be willing to do, it could be ideal for Pip assuming that your home had some " trees, "run room" food sources (although you can continue to give Pip food after release as many of us do for our releases) and no nearby heavy traffic, among other conditions or concerns.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    I would never give up Pip to a game ward. I know how they are and they'll do😔. I'll follow the links that Mel sent me thanks guys I guess yall know "The Feels". Man this is though

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pipthesquirrel:

olorin19 (03-28-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (03-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    I really hope you can release Pip right there at your place. It is such a great feeling to have your baby come to see you and get treats then go off and do their squirrel thing. I hope you get to experience that!

Meantime, have you ruled out other possible causes for his aggression like a change in scents (soap, shampoo, deodorant) or him having a stash that he was defending?
    This is exactly what we want to experience.
    MAN THIS HITS RIGHT IN THE FEELS

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Pipthesquirrel from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (03-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Pipthesquirrel View Post
    This is exactly what we want to experience.
    MAN THIS HITS RIGHT IN THE FEELS
    That is wonderful news! There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here on TSB! If you have any questions, concerns or just want to make some comments as you transition Pip to release and beyond; please post them! Also, please post general updates on Pip's progress! We always want to hear these!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

Chirps (03-27-2023), Pipthesquirrel (03-27-2023)