Thread: Help with dosage

Default Help with dosage

I need help with dosgae and diluting prednisone it 10mg. My squirrel penis is sticking out shaft and the tip is swollen. I have coated it with sugar, put a warm rag on it, and keeping preparation h on it. Just trying to get swellen down. He weight 580 grams

Default Re: Help with dosgae

I sent you dosage by PM. I remember this little one. Please keep vaseline on it. Do you have a small animal vet anywhere near you who could see this guy? This may require more than we are able to provide.

Default Re: Help with dosage

I have snicker bar here in north mississippi. What be wrong with it

I hope others can share their experiences of this problem in an adult squirrel. I’ve had baby squirrels that caused trauma from nursing (each other) and it can be pretty horrific if it’s gone on too long.

Can he still urinate? Is his belly swollen? Is he still eating? Sorry if you’ve already answered these questions elsewhere

I hope the prednisolone works, but in meantime is he over grooming ? I worry this could lead to even more inflammation; or worse, self mutilation…
    He may need an e collar to protect him from himself

Is he still taking antibiotics (for the possible mouth problem)? Is the tissue (his exposed penis) still a healthy pink? Can you post pics?

If it’s not pink/becoming dark, this is going to need help promptly.

As far as what would cause this in a singleton squirrel, I’m not entirely sure? In our other companion animals it can be due to hormonal issues / females in heat. Or a breeding accident. Or bite wound/infection/trauma that causes swelling and the inability for the penis to retract back into the prepuce.

But for a solitary squirrel…. I’ve just not read any posts about this here. I know it’s breeding season here in the south but I just don’t know if this sort of thing happens to them??? I wouldn’t think so? But still learning here too

I’m hoping others can give input as far as common causes (if this is common??) of this in a squirrel. I’ll be glad to help as best can

Yes he is peeing fine as long as I keep him clean and keep preparation H on it. I've also been putting sugar on it sense it swelled a couple days ago. I know for a fact that if it is touched he cries and the white milky tears start coming out that one eye. He has been having this problem with his penis sticking out shaft sense last year I have post several times on here in the emergency post area with really no answer and what to really do. I have looked and looked on here about this but ain't much for a single squirrel with this problem most of it is on babies sucking. he is eating great and playing He quit taking antibiotic this Thursday. Here are pictures they not to good but the tip is swollen I have gotten the swelling down some but not enough. I have no clue if I'm ding things right I sure hope so. I would love any advice. I don't think he is over grooming himself or self mutilation I know I haven't seen him do that
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I believe it can be self induced. My dwarf squirrel had this happen and the sheath was rolled back from the penis tip. He was housed by himself so he had to be done by him.

Here’s a picture of how his looked. I was able to “unroll” the bright pink sheath to re cover the penis. When the swelling subside his penis remained inside the sheath.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

this is what it looked like 2 days ago the shaft doesn't looked rolled back. Name:  herscules pee.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  60.5 KB. The shaft still appears normal not rolled back. It only the tip of penis swollen. But I could be wrong I hope this picture is better

I think I might almost got it penis back in shaft I read one of Mel old post that said she used coconut oil so I tired it. I think crossed finger a couple more time and we fix. How does this happen

It can happen from them self sucking. Yes, I did use coconut oil on Joey. The coconut oil also helps with inflammation. You’ll have to keep a watchful eye on it over the next few days and be sure it stays within the sheath.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (03-20-2023)

Yes mam thank u

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Her123 from:

Mel1959 (03-19-2023)

Keep the pred and antibiotics going until 2-3 days beyond no sign of symptoms .

Yes mam