Thread: No back feet??

Default No back feet??

I found a around 3 week old fox squirrel he has no back feet can he live a normal life or what can do..HELP PLEASE

Default Re: No back feet??

Wow. I hope someone who can advise sees this soon. With no back feet that sounds like a definite non release. Is it a congenital birth defect or was he injured?

Some questions-- Are you willing to commit to long term care? For the immediate situation, have you ever raised a squirrel before? Can you meet his immediate needs for feeding, toileting, suitable "nest"? Can you post pics?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Diggie's Friend (03-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Wow. I hope someone who can advise sees this soon. With no back feet that sounds like a definite non release. Is it a congenital birth defect or was he injured?

Some questions-- Are you willing to commit to long term care? For the immediate situation, have you ever raised a squirrel before? Can you meet his immediate needs for feeding, toileting, suitable "nest"? Can you post pics?
    Yes I actually have 3 flying squirrels iv had for 3 months there eyes were closed when I got them..and yes birth defect and yes I will do long term as long as he is good with living with defects

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jroberts from:

Diggie's Friend (03-14-2023)

Normal, unlikely; yet in captivity, tree squirrels can live longer than they have been found to do in the wild when supported by an appropriate diet for their species/subspecies

Quote Originally Posted by Jroberts View Post
    Yes I actually have 3 flying squirrels iv had for 3 months there eyes were closed when I got them..and yes birth defect and yes I will do long term as long as he is good with living with defects
    Excellent! So you already have formula, syringes, nipples, etc.? What was his condition when you found him? Did you need to rehydrate? Have you weighed him yet?

First things first is making sure he has his basic needs met. You have a few weeks before he would start to use back legs if he had them. You can reassess his needs for protection/locomotion when it comes up. If he's not paralyzed, you will have different issues than someone who is trying to protect dragging limbs from getting injured, but there are people here with lots of experience who can advise you when the time comes about best housing/cage setup etc.

The thing I'd be most afraid of is possible internal defects, like to organs, that might not be apparent but that might eventually compromise him, but for now let's be hopeful that it's just the limb defects. If you can keep him happy and healthy, you will have lots of help from people who've been through it when the time comes.

Also, how mobile is he? Can he crawl enough to move himself away from or closer to your heat source? If he can't, that will be something you will have to monitor closely so he doesn't cook or freeze. If he can move well despite the lack of back legs, that will make that bit easier for you.
    That's all I can think of, hopefully an expert will see your post and chime in.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Diggie's Friend (06-12-2023)

In this region (see Hall map of subspecies of the Eastern Fox Squirrel of N.A., the Upland Fox squirrel, aka: Bachman's Fox Squirrel subspecies indigenous to this region, typically has a rusty underside and a rusty brown to dark brown top coat, with white ear tips, toe/finger tips, and blaze. (See Territory map for the subspecies of the N.A. Eastern Fox Squirrel). Since I have joined, this subspecies of Eastern Fox Squirrel would be the first one to be cared for in captivity.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_261928102
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Is the lack of back feet the result of a birth defect and not an injury? Animal that are born with a defect don’t know any different and adapt very well. He may need some type of protection on his rear legs as he gets older and more mobile so you may have to reevaluate his needs. I’m sure mom kicked him out so bless you for taking him in.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (03-15-2023)

Drag issues can be address as he gets older. MANY para squirrels live “normal” lives.