Thread: Overgrown Teeth

Default Overgrown Teeth

Hello all! I have an Eastern Grey Squirrel, and I noticed a few days ago that he hasn't been cracking his nuts open like he normally does, I noticed the last few weeks he also hasn't been chewing on his things like he normally does either. I finally got him to let me get in his mouth, and his top teeth are way too long!

He's never had this issue before, but I think when I removed a chewing item about a month/month and a half ago he stopped chewing on his other things in protest, and now he's having a hard time chewing on his nuts but has no issues with his softer fruits and veggies.

I've heard people trimming their teeth, and I would be willing to try but only with extensive research and videos. They're also pretty long and I'm a little nervous to do it, as he's never had to have them done since he keeps them trimmed down himself. He'll be 2 in August.

I'm willing to drive him somewhere to get it done, however my only issue is I'm in WA state and they're technically illegal to have, his vet is on the East side of the state but she's unavailable for a while. Can anyone help me???? I'm so terribly upset and worried for my little guy, he's my world. Please help!!

Default Re: Overgrown Teeth

If you are able to travel to Vancouver, these folks should be able to assist with the trim and show you how to do it:

https://www.squirrelrefuge.org/

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Curlysmommy (03-15-2023), Mel1959 (03-15-2023)

Default Re: Overgrown Teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    If you are able to travel to Vancouver, these folks should be able to assist with the trim and show you how to do it:

https://www.squirrelrefuge.org/
    I will reach out to them, thank you!! He's finally letting me file his teeth a bit at a time, so I'm less worried for now. But I will reach out and see if they can help me with trimming!