Thread: Squirrel with swollen legs. Not moving

Default Squirrel with swollen legs. Not moving

Hi everyone,
    I am from Gujarat, India. We found an Indian palm squirrel in my backyard. 10 days ago. It was not moving and somehow we got her and took into the house. She got her four legs swollen.We don't have vets here. But as per my friends ( who are vets but not having any knowledge of squirrels) advice we started feeding her and giving medicine. We started giving her Amoxicillin ( 2 drops) and Iburufen ( 3 drops) and applying antifungal cream to her feet. But the response was very less. Please suggest are we on the right track or doing anything wrong. Here I am keeping the pics of her. Please suggest... thanks in advance.. Riosai...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Squirrel with swollen legs. Not moving

I’m sorry your post was overlooked. Here’s a link with information from a rehabber in your area…just in case you need it. http://rehabbersden.org/index.php/36...-revised-contd

As for the swollen legs. Is it only the rear legs or all four? I assume the other medication, not the amoxicillin, is an anti-inflammatory. I’m not sure what would cause the swelling. The two things that come to mind are an injury, which the anti-inflammatory might help with, or an allergic reaction to some type of an insect bite. If that was the case then an antihistamine like infant Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) might help. You want a product with only this ingredient in it. Medications are dosed by weight. I’ve attached a copy of the dosage chart. It is based on the medication strength of 4mg/kg.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Squirrel with swollen legs. Not moving

How’s your baby doing.