Thread: Licking excessively and head tilted

Hybrid View

Default Licking excessively and head tilted

Miracle had her 2nd odontoma surgery in January and everything seemed to be healing well. She has been licking me excessively, more than usual and yesterday she started tilting her head to the side when she walks and seems to be off balance. I know she didn't fall as I watch her all the time. I don't know if it could be related to the surgery or if she might have an ear infection or mites. Can they still get mites in captivity? I was in Florida for several months and we got the surgery by Dr. Emerson, we just came back to Texas, and I need a squirrel friendly vet that will be able to see her. Can anyone steer me in the right direction please? She is still eating good and drinking plenty of water, but she seems tired. She eats picky blocks and other healthy foods chopped up since she is missing her top teeth now. She always try's to scratch her ear a lot and rub it on my hand like it is bothering her.

Default Re: Licking excessively and head tilted

Texas is a big state. It’s also a squirrel unfriendly state. Can you narrow your area down a little bit?

I know there’s a vet that sees squirrels in Grapevine, TX.

Dallas, I am about 30 minutes from Grapevine.

Quote Originally Posted by melobryan View Post
    Miracle had her 2nd odontoma surgery in January and everything seemed to be healing well. She has been licking me excessively, more than usual and yesterday she started tilting her head to the side when she walks and seems to be off balance. I know she didn't fall as I watch her all the time. I don't know if it could be related to the surgery or if she might have an ear infection or mites. Can they still get mites in captivity? I was in Florida for several months and we got the surgery by Dr. Emerson, we just came back to Texas, and I need a squirrel friendly vet that will be able to see her. Can anyone steer me in the right direction please? She is still eating good and drinking plenty of water, but she seems tired. She eats picky blocks and other healthy foods chopped up since she is missing her top teeth now. She always try's to scratch her ear a lot and rub it on my hand like it is bothering her.

I'd call Dr E and discuss with her what is going on.

Yes, mites are always a possibility and treating with a drop of Revolution (selamectin (the plain one)) cannot hurt.

Is her ear dirty and / or are the edges "crispy" to the touch? That ear rubbing sounds like it could be an ear infection or mites IMO.

She is drinking well... is she peeing well?

Yes, she is peeing good also. I will give Dr. E a call and see what she says.

I spoke with someone at Dr. Emerson's and they can't really do anything since I am not there. They said to take her to be seen at a vet.

Her ears do not look dirty but she does seem to try to scratch her right ear by rubbing it on different things or if I am petting her she will try to rub her ear in my hand. The head tilt is weird also, and I know she didn't fall.

Ear infections can be tough to clear up. Do you have any topical ear antibiotics from a child’s or pets ear infection. Sometimes doctors will prescribe them. Call around to family and friends and see if you can find anything.

As was suggested a drop of Revolution (Selamectin) either put on a nut and given orally or put on the skin, will take care of mites. It requires a Rx from a vet, but it is what is sold for puppies and kittens or cats, so maybe you can locate some. It can be purchased online from Joes Pet Meds without a Rx.

Baytril is a recommended antibiotic for external ear infections. Baytril is the animal version and Ciproflaxin is the human version.

I have zero resources in Arkansas for vets. You might try looking up rehabbers at Agfc.com and look for the list of rehabilitators in your area and call some to see if they have any vet names.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I have zero resources in Arkansas for vets.
    I see you are currently near Dallas? If yes, Summertree Animal & Bird Clinic (https://summertreevet.com/)... here is the thread / post #7 discussing this facility:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...52#post1351552