Thread: Licking excessively and head tilted

Default Licking excessively and head tilted

Miracle had her 2nd odontoma surgery in January and everything seemed to be healing well. She has been licking me excessively, more than usual and yesterday she started tilting her head to the side when she walks and seems to be off balance. I know she didn't fall as I watch her all the time. I don't know if it could be related to the surgery or if she might have an ear infection or mites. Can they still get mites in captivity? I was in Florida for several months and we got the surgery by Dr. Emerson, we just came back to Texas, and I need a squirrel friendly vet that will be able to see her. Can anyone steer me in the right direction please? She is still eating good and drinking plenty of water, but she seems tired. She eats picky blocks and other healthy foods chopped up since she is missing her top teeth now. She always try's to scratch her ear a lot and rub it on my hand like it is bothering her.

Default Re: Licking excessively and head tilted

Texas is a big state. It’s also a squirrel unfriendly state. Can you narrow your area down a little bit?

I know there’s a vet that sees squirrels in Grapevine, TX.

Dallas, I am about 30 minutes from Grapevine.

Quote Originally Posted by melobryan View Post
    Miracle had her 2nd odontoma surgery in January and everything seemed to be healing well. She has been licking me excessively, more than usual and yesterday she started tilting her head to the side when she walks and seems to be off balance. I know she didn't fall as I watch her all the time. I don't know if it could be related to the surgery or if she might have an ear infection or mites. Can they still get mites in captivity? I was in Florida for several months and we got the surgery by Dr. Emerson, we just came back to Texas, and I need a squirrel friendly vet that will be able to see her. Can anyone steer me in the right direction please? She is still eating good and drinking plenty of water, but she seems tired. She eats picky blocks and other healthy foods chopped up since she is missing her top teeth now. She always try's to scratch her ear a lot and rub it on my hand like it is bothering her.

I'd call Dr E and discuss with her what is going on.

Yes, mites are always a possibility and treating with a drop of Revolution (selamectin (the plain one)) cannot hurt.

Is her ear dirty and / or are the edges "crispy" to the touch? That ear rubbing sounds like it could be an ear infection or mites IMO.

She is drinking well... is she peeing well?

Yes, she is peeing good also. I will give Dr. E a call and see what she says.

I spoke with someone at Dr. Emerson's and they can't really do anything since I am not there. They said to take her to be seen at a vet.

Her ears do not look dirty but she does seem to try to scratch her right ear by rubbing it on different things or if I am petting her she will try to rub her ear in my hand. The head tilt is weird also, and I know she didn't fall.

Ear infections can be tough to clear up. Do you have any topical ear antibiotics from a child’s or pets ear infection. Sometimes doctors will prescribe them. Call around to family and friends and see if you can find anything.

As was suggested a drop of Revolution (Selamectin) either put on a nut and given orally or put on the skin, will take care of mites. It requires a Rx from a vet, but it is what is sold for puppies and kittens or cats, so maybe you can locate some. It can be purchased online from Joes Pet Meds without a Rx.

Baytril is a recommended antibiotic for external ear infections. Baytril is the animal version and Ciproflaxin is the human version.

I have zero resources in Arkansas for vets. You might try looking up rehabbers at Agfc.com and look for the list of rehabilitators in your area and call some to see if they have any vet names.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I have zero resources in Arkansas for vets.
    I see you are currently near Dallas? If yes, Summertree Animal & Bird Clinic (https://summertreevet.com/)... here is the thread / post #7 discussing this facility:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...52#post1351552

I got her an appointment at Summertree at 2:00 today.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to melobryan:

CritterMom (03-08-2023), Spanky (03-08-2023)

I just left Summer tree, they did x-rays on her head they looked thoroughly in her ears and her mouth and they couldn't find anything to indicate what's going on. The doctor did say she's not seen a squirrels x-rays when their top teeth are been removed before but she said that it didn't look like anything was out of the ordinary. She said her ears looked good no mites but sometimes there could be deeper infection that doesn't show up. She went ahead and gave me an antibiotic to give her for safe measure and some meloxicam for her discomfort in case it's something inflammatory. I feel like I'm right back where I started . I put in a call to Dr. Emerson's office and asked if I sent the x-ray to them if they would be willing to look at it and talk to this vet if they saw anything and she said she would leave a note for Dr. E but doctor E won't be back until Friday.

I’m glad you were able to get her seen. Inner ear infections are very difficult to treat. It was wise to consult with Dr. E. She may recommend a type of antibiotic ear drop for you to use that you can get from your local vet. An online animal med supply place is an option, too, like Allivet or Chewy.com.

I might just be being paranoid, but I am wondering if the vet may have prescribed to high of a dose for the Baytril. It is 100mg/ml and the amount prescribed is 0.28 ml once daily. Miracle weighs 3 pounds. Please let me know if I am giving her too much or if I am just being overly cautious.

Yes, by my calculations that dose is too high. Are you sure the dose doesn’t say .028? Baytril is typically only dosed once per day.

I’m gonna let others that are more proficient at dosing respond. Please check back to see what they say. If no one comments, I’ll reach out to someone.

Baytril tastes terrible. Dipping the tip of the syringe in a little honey after it’s loaded may help.

Nope, this is fine.

The 10% Baytril is actually designed to be put into bird's water dishes for dosing them and comes diluted differently than we normally do so it is a little confusing. If you are having difficulty getting it down because of the size of the dose, you can also divide the daily dose in half and give every 12 hours (that would be 0.14ml twice per day). You have to decide which is worse, fighting to get the larger dose in vs. having to do it twice per day with less...

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Mel1959 (03-11-2023)

Thank you, she was a little more active today and her head is less tilted and her balance is better. I am hoping it is because the antibiotics are working on whatever is going on. I appreciate the answers, I was so worried about her last night, she definitely acts like she is feeling a little better today. She means the world to me and I can't imagine life without her.

Miracle finished her antibiotics a few days ago. She is doing wonderful, no more head tilt or balance issues. She is getting her energy back, I still have no idea what was wrong with her, I just know the antibiotics worked. Thanks to everyone for your help.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to melobryan from:

Mel1959 (03-22-2023)