Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RESCUED 1-2 WEEK OLD TREE SQUIRRELS WITH BAD DIARRHEA

Default Re: RESCUED 1-2 WEEK OLD TREE SQUIRRELS WITH BAD DIARRHEA

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel nut View Post
    Hi Tashahaven, I just gave them HHB for the fisrt time.

Since the initial amount of HHB is 1/3 - 1/2 blocks daily, when should I increment to the amount prescribed by the provider which is 2-3 blocks daily?

I understand that now that the blocks arrived I should remove the veggies because that was an exception, correct? And Once they are actually eating the block, not just “shredding it”, add in those same healthy veggies again, correct? Sorry for my lack of confidence, theres a lot of scientific details in the caretaking of wildlife. Thanks so much!

Kindest Regards,

Squirrel Nut
    As they begin to actually consume the block then you can increase the number they get in a day, up to 3. Many folks offer the block first thing in the morning when they’re hungriest. You’ll notice they will naturally decrease the amount of formula they take as they eat more block and veggies. Let them decide when they no longer want any formula. I’ve had guys still want formula when they were put out in the release cage at 14 weeks.

Default Re: RESCUED 1-2 WEEK OLD TREE SQUIRRELS WITH BAD DIARRHEA

Yes. Block only until they are actually EATING them entirely first. Then add in the veggies.

Follow the formula dillution, and they should still continue to want formula for a while. Even after mine stopped wanting formula completely and was eating healthy, she will still drink it out of a shallow dish with pebbles in it. But she wasn’t interested at all for the first couple weeks after weaning. So if that happens with yours, try offering it again after a while. I honestly thought my girl wouldn’t touch it again, but she will now.

And it’s OKAY! You are doing a good job. I definitely remember how nerve wracking it can be! (Still is at times), but it will get much much easier for you. I personally would rather someone ask “too many” questions, than NOT enough! That’s how things get missed, or mistakes happen. You clearly care about them a lot, and that is the most important thing! 🥰

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12