Thread: Squirrel Odontoma Surgery in or close to Connecticut! Please help!

Exclamation Squirrel Odontoma Surgery in or close to Connecticut! Please help!

Good Morning, My squirrel who will be 6 in the summer possibly has an odontoma. Just recently for roughly 5 weeks I’ve noticed she hasn’t been cracking nuts on her own or eating anything hard including her Henry’s healthy blocks. Last week I decided to look in her mouth and noticed her two bottom teeth one was way longer than the other. So I reached out to a squirrel rehabbed asking what kind of teeth cutter I could use to trim it down to match the other one. I ordered the cutters and with the help of my husband we were able to trim it to match the other bottom tooth. After talking with. Few other squirrel owners on instagram they all recommended getting an X-ray since one of her bottom teeth was overgrown. One of them mentioned odontoma. Well I started to read up on it and I’m thinking my squirrel may have it. I won’t know for sure until I get the X-ray done but I noticed she is still having trouble eating. Definitely wants to eat but now I’m noticing her top teeth are almost non existent! I don’t see them when she yawns or when I try and look into her mouth. My squirrel has never had teeth issues up until I noticed she was being picky with food. She used to crack open nuts no problem, was a great eater and always ate her Henry’s blocks every day. Now she is struggling! I’ve also read they get like a sneezy like sound and sure enough my squirrel has it! Since the last few days I’ve noticed she is sneezing or making that type of noise very frequently. Last night I tried heating her Henry’s blocks up and cutting them which she tried to eat and struggling still she ate almost all of it. She tried scrapping her lettuce with her two bottom teeth as well. I gave her a soft avocado and banana and she ate that no problem because it’s soft. I know I’m jumping the gun here but reading the symptoms I am almost confident my squirrel has odontoma. We live in Connecticut and I’ve heard Dr. Emerson in Port Orange Florida does this surgery. I am a full time mom and work 50+ hours a week at work. There would be no way for me to drive to Florida from where I live. I want to save my squirrel so bad but I’m
    Afraid if I can’t find anyone who could do the surgery somewhat close to me I would have to put her down. I am reaching out to ask if anyone knows any vets/surgeons who have done this exact surgery on squirrels somewhat close by to use. I have tried googling and I can’t seem to get anywhere. I figured I would start here first and am looking for any help and guidance I can get. 🙏🏼

Default Re: Squirrel Odontoma Surgery in or close to Connecticut! Please help!

There is a squirrel vet that many rehabbers use in the northeast. I don’t know if he does this procedure or not. I believe there’s also a squirrel vet in North Carolina.

I’m sorry I’m not familiar with their names. I hope other rehabbers that live in that region will chime in.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Chirps (02-06-2023)

I am hoping someone can help as well and help me find someone close to me in Connecticut. I am a nervous wreck and just keep praying.

This member has made contact with an excellent Connecticut resource that is providing assistance...

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

fanofmothernature (03-02-2023), Mel1959 (02-09-2023)