Thread: 4 month old caught between door, now in pain.

Default 4 month old caught between door, now in pain.

Apologies if this is not an emergency. To me it feels like one.

Earlier today my boy got his head between a closing door in the house.
    For the last 4 1/2 hours he's either been hunched over or favoring his right side. He has had a little water, peed and ate a partial blueberry and grape.
    Unfortunately he has not been getting the best calcium lately as he's been eating less. I have an appointment for him to be seen on the 14th for that.
    I'm really hoping nothing's broken or bleeding internally.

There is one wildlife clinic open for the next 6 hours that can see him. DoveLewis Veterinary in Portland, OR. The problem is they said after treating, the Portland Audubon Society will own him after. I tried getting ahold of Portland Audubon, but unsuccessful. While listening their answering machine, I learned that it is illegal in Oregon to release eastern gray squirrels as they're not native. The message also mentioned they will euthanize.

I called the department of fish and wildlife and someone is supposed to call me back with info on obtaining a permit to have the squirrel in my care.

There is a good clinic that can possibly see him in the morning, I just don't want to wait that long, as I don't know the serverity of his injury.

Is there anyone on here in Oregon with experience obtaining a permit or license to have a squirrel? If so, do you think its possible to help me get my boy back from the DoveLewis clinic?

Is there any way of providing a safe pain reliever or anti-inflammatory if suspected to be needed?

Thank you in advance

Default Re: 4 month old caught between door, now in pain.

This place may be able to help, highly recommended:
    https://www.squirrelrefuge.org/

I will PM you info on anti-inflammatory / analgesic.

Start the emergency MBD protocol, it cannot hurt and can only help.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dated-3-31-09)

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    This place may be able to help, highly recommended:
    https://www.squirrelrefuge.org/

I will PM you info on anti-inflammatory / analgesic.

Start the emergency MBD protocol, it cannot hurt and can only help.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dated-3-31-09)

Thank you. I have tried to start the emergency mbd protocol. He's in a lot of discomfort eating. I mixed Henry's calcium powder into water and tried to get him to drink it thru syringe but no luck. Its been 6 hours now and he doesn't want to move. He tried to eat a block but wasn't able. I gave him an Almond and he had trouble swallowing making a choking sound. Put the calcium in a piece of banana but I think he's scared to eat now. He usually drinks water from a jar lid, so I put a water calcium mix in that.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerSmileR View Post
    Apologies if this is not an emergency. To me it feels like one.

Earlier today my boy got his head between a closing door in the house.
    For the last 4 1/2 hours he's either been hunched over or favoring his right side. He has had a little water, peed and ate a partial blueberry and grape.
    Unfortunately he has not been getting the best calcium lately as he's been eating less. I have an appointment for him to be seen on the 14th for that.
    I'm really hoping nothing's broken or bleeding internally.

There is one wildlife clinic open for the next 6 hours that can see him. DoveLewis Veterinary in Portland, OR. The problem is they said after treating, the Portland Audubon Society will own him after. I tried getting ahold of Portland Audubon, but unsuccessful. While listening their answering machine, I learned that it is illegal in Oregon to release eastern gray squirrels as they're not native. The message also mentioned they will euthanize.

I called the department of fish and wildlife and someone is supposed to call me back with info on obtaining a permit to have the squirrel in my care.

There is a good clinic that can possibly see him in the morning, I just don't want to wait that long, as I don't know the serverity of his injury.

Is there anyone on here in Oregon with experience obtaining a permit or license to have a squirrel? If so, do you think its possible to help me get my boy back from the DoveLewis clinic?

Is there any way of providing a safe pain reliever or anti-inflammatory if suspected to be needed?

Thank you in advance
    Hi TylerSmileR:

Welcome to the Squirrel Board and what is the name of your Squirrel!

I do not live in Oregon. There are many members on The Squirrel Board and hopefully someone will have the information you seek and will post this soon. I have some cautions and concerns for you below. Please read them and heed the warnings! There is no exaggeration in what I have written!

I did a bit of research and it appears that it is illegal to own a Squirrel in Oregon. You knew this but interestingly this was not so until 2017 and IF you had owned the Squirrel before that your ownership could be "grandfathered" and could get a permit. Again, going by the most detailed and one of the most reputable sources I have found, there is no other way to own a Squirrel and no permits are available unless you meet the requirements for being "grandfathered" you are a Rehabber! This is link is to a summary of this: https://squirrelenthusiast.com/can-y...rel-in-oregon/

The Fish and Wildlife Department may very well say anything or even do anything to get possession of the Squirrel. They are NOT your friends when it comes to ownership of wildlife and do NOT care one bit about your Squirrel or you for that matter! Hopefully you did not give them your name or address. If they call, please give them no further information and tell them that you were calling for a friend whose phone is on the blink and you just wanted to get information about a permit for Squirrels for your friend but he is no longer interested and thanks for calling. IF you have already told them you have a Squirrel, tell them you let it go and do not give them any further information. Hopefully this will blow over! Also, to search inside your home will requires a search warrant but the Fish and Game people will tell you anything. Many Veterinarians, so-call nature reserves or even rehabbers especially in illegal States will keep your Squirrel and make it seem that the Squirrel will be cared for and cared about but virtually all of these confiscated Squirrels will be euthanized! If you care about your Squirrel and want to keep him, Do NOT give up your Squirrel to anyone and do not take your Squirrel anywhere unless you thorough vet the facility and never give your identifying information! Again, while this may seem paranoid, what I have told you is no exaggeration. Confiscations of wildlife by individuals and facilities that would seem to us as being friendly to you and your Squirrel occur all to often. We usually hear about it when it has already happened and believe me, in that case there is no getting the Squirrel back!

As to your comments about the injury your Squirrel sustained today, can you be a little more specific as to the details such what part of the head was caught and was the door slammed or just closed. Are there any wounds or swelling. Does he have full motion of his head and extremities and does it seem that both eyes are focusing and tracking. Basically, anything and everything that might pertain!

What has been your Squirrels diet? What makes you concerned about the possibility of your Squirrel having had inadequate Calcium intake? If there is concern about possible Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) from inadequate Calcium I would recommend beginning the MBD Emergency Protocol from Henry's immediately! It is very simple to accomplish and if your Squirrel does not have MBD it is harmless and if he does it could very well be life-saving. Also you mentioned that you had an appointment with a Vet on the 14th. Have you vetted the Vet? Is the Vet Squirrel friendly and will they let you be with the Squirrel while there and will they give your Squirrel back to you?

Ibuprofen is ordinarily safe for Squirrels on a short term basis. An admin will need to review your Squirrels situation and if they feel that Ibuprofen may be helpful, they send dosing instructions to you by Private Message. Please obtain an accurate weight of your Squirrel preferably in Grams as this will form the basis of the dosing plan.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Chirps (02-01-2023)

Hello again TylerSmileR:

I realized that I had neglected to provide a link to the MBD Emergency Protocol and when I went back to your thread I saw that Spanky had replied with that and antiinflammatory/pain medication information. I also saw your response. with your Squirrel not seeming to be able to eat, I am wondering if there is an injury to mouth region such as a contusion, a fractured jaw or a dental injury? I hope there is a Squirrel Friendly Vet you can get your Squirrel in to see ASAP! Just for some added information about MBD, here is the link I was gong to give you for Henry's Pets Website where the Emergency Protocol originated:
    https://www.henryspets.com/what-is-m...-bone-disease/

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi TylerSmileR:

Welcome to the Squirrel Board and what is the name of your Squirrel!

I do not live in Oregon. There are many members on The Squirrel Board and hopefully someone will have the information you seek and will post this soon. I have some cautions and concerns for you below. Please read them and heed the warnings! There is no exaggeration in what I have written!

I did a bit of research and it appears that it is illegal to own a Squirrel in Oregon. You knew this but interestingly this was not so until 2017 and IF you had owned the Squirrel before that your ownership could be "grandfathered" and could get a permit. Again, going by the most detailed and one of the most reputable sources I have found, there is no other way to own a Squirrel and no permits are available unless you meet the requirements for being "grandfathered" you are a Rehabber! This is link is to a summary of this: https://squirrelenthusiast.com/can-y...rel-in-oregon/

The Fish and Wildlife Department may very well say anything or even do anything to get possession of the Squirrel. They are NOT your friends when it comes to ownership of wildlife and do NOT care one bit about your Squirrel or you for that matter! Hopefully you did not give them your name or address. If they call, please give them no further information and tell them that you were calling for a friend whose phone is on the blink and you just wanted to get information about a permit for Squirrels for your friend but he is no longer interested and thanks for calling. IF you have already told them you have a Squirrel, tell them you let it go and do not give them any further information. Hopefully this will blow over! Also, to search inside your home will requires a search warrant but the Fish and Game people will tell you anything. Many Veterinarians, so-call nature reserves or even rehabbers especially in illegal States will keep your Squirrel and make it seem that the Squirrel will be cared for and cared about but virtually all of these confiscated Squirrels will be euthanized! If you care about your Squirrel and want to keep him, Do NOT give up your Squirrel to anyone and do not take your Squirrel anywhere unless you thorough vet the facility and never give your identifying information! Again, while this may seem paranoid, what I have told you is no exaggeration. Confiscations of wildlife by individuals and facilities that would seem to us as being friendly to you and your Squirrel occur all to often. We usually hear about it when it has already happened and believe me, in that case there is no getting the Squirrel back!

As to your comments about the injury your Squirrel sustained today, can you be a little more specific as to the details such what part of the head was caught and was the door slammed or just closed. Are there any wounds or swelling. Does he have full motion of his head and extremities and does it seem that both eyes are focusing and tracking. Basically, anything and everything that might pertain!

What has been your Squirrels diet? What makes you concerned about the possibility of your Squirrel having had inadequate Calcium intake? If there is concern about possible Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) from inadequate Calcium I would recommend beginning the MBD Emergency Protocol from Henry's immediately! It is very simple to accomplish and if your Squirrel does not have MBD it is harmless and if he does it could very well be life-saving. Also you mentioned that you had an appointment with a Vet on the 14th. Have you vetted the Vet? Is the Vet Squirrel friendly and will they let you be with the Squirrel while there and will they give your Squirrel back to you?

Ibuprofen is ordinarily safe for Squirrels on a short term basis. An admin will need to review your Squirrels situation and if they feel that Ibuprofen may be helpful, they send dosing instructions to you by Private Message. Please obtain an accurate weight of your Squirrel preferably in Grams as this will form the basis of the dosing plan.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Thank you for all the info. Unfortunately I gave f&w my first and last name. I won't let them take him.

The door was not slammed. I had a hand on it but was trying to be quick so he did not go into the garage. I came in the house and he was by the door, jumped on my leg after I stepped in and began going back down as I was closing the door. He beat me to it. I shouldn't have risked it.

There are no noticeable injuries or swelling, however I believe there must be some swelling.
    His eyes seem dazed but he definitely seems to be able to find his way to his bed. He hasn't been active for 7 hours now.
    As for full motion of his head its hard to say.. He seems to grunt/whine if he moves wrong or lays on it.

He used to eat blocks early in the morning.
    Lately he won't eat anything until the afternoon.
    I learned late that the nuts are unhealthy.
    I recently introduced him to hazelnuts and almonds again after having removed them from his diet.
    He had begun losing weight everyday and not eating his blocks or veggies. I thought that if he's losing weight due to a cold or respiratory infection, he'd have more of an appetite after getting seen and prescribed meds and that I could ween him off nuts again then.
    He usually eat nuts, a slice of avocado with Henry's vitamin powder and sometimes the calcium powder if he will eat a second slice. He occasionally nibbles on carrots and broccoli as well.

We gave him the Ibuprofen as directed. Thankfully he like it and that was easy.
    Letting him lay in his bed with the light off and periodically monitoring him.

Thanks again for everyone's time

Try some mashed avocado in the morning, he should be able to eat it since it is very soft.

If there is a fracture, only a couple x-rays will clarify, so finding a vet that won't care about wildlife licensing etc is the main goal IMO. I don't know about the licensing process in OR, but here in FL it takes months (plural). Can you easily travel to CA, WA, NV or ID?

I'd stop handling him entirely, giving him rest may be the best call besides finding a vet.

PS: getting a grey off the nuts and avocado is very hard. Once they get used to this diet, they don't care much for blocks or other veggies.

Hazelnut seems a little more normal after the liquid Ibuprofen. He is out of bed chewing on one of his branches.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TylerSmileR:

McCarthy (01-31-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    Try some mashed avocado in the morning, he should be able to eat it since it is very soft.

If there is a fracture, only a couple x-rays will clarify, so finding a vet that won't care about wildlife licensing etc is the main goal IMO. I don't know about the licensing process in OR, but here in FL it takes months (plural). Can you easily travel to CA, WA, NV or ID?

I'd stop handling him entirely, giving him rest may be the best call besides finding a vet.

PS: getting a grey off the nuts and avocado is very hard. Once they get used to this diet, they don't care much for blocks or other veggies.
    I am only 40 mins from Vancouver, Wa. Was just about to look up the laws there.

Hi TylerSmileR:
    Thanks for the report! What brand of block have you been using? According to what your Squirrel's diet has become, MBD is certainly a possibility now or later! I know that you are giving some extra calcium and vitamins and since you are giving Henry's Vitamins, it is all inclusive for Vitamins and Minerals but NOT Protein, Fats or Carbohydrates. Only 1 Gram (or measured teaspoon according to Henry's. Apparently they have measured the volume of 1 gram of their vitamins and found it to equal one measured teaspoon) will give your Squirrel the amount of Calcium and Vitamin D recommended by the publication Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals which is the guide that Henry's uses and many other use as a basis for formulating Rodent diets. Giving the Henry's vitamins is great but it is only effective IF you not only know how much he should have (1 gram) on a daily basis but also know for certain that he has actually consumed this amount. Also, it is essential in order to prevent MBD that the amount of phosphorus is controlled. Henry's Vitamins also contain a recommended amount of phosphorus and minimizing additional phosphorus is very beneficial. Nut and Hazelnuts are no exception; contain a high concentration of phosphorus as opposed to the amount of Calcium they contain. MBD disease can occur even if the Squirrel is getting an adequate amount of Calcium if it is also getting excessive phosphorus.

If at all possible, it would be optimal for your Squirrel to get at least 80% (and 100% is fine as well or anything in between) of his nutritional support in the form of quality block such as Envigo 2018 or Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet. As McCarthy pointed out, it is very difficult for any Squirrel, not just Grays, to get off nuts and go back to blocks and it is difficult for a Squirrel that was started on nuts before becoming accustomed to eating blocks on a regular basis to then start using blocks. A transition is possible however and flavorings, change in consistency of the blocks (making them softer possibly with something with added taste such as baby food fruits) and a little tough love as needed will usually work. For captive Squirrels, nuts should be limited to being a rare treat at best. Here is another very helpful bit of diet information from Henry's in the form of a pyramid with healthiest food being at the base of the pyramid (Rodent/Squirrel Blocks) and moving upward to the least healthy at the peak (nuts & treats): https://henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/

Please keep us updated on how your Squirrel is doing!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Hi TylerSmileR:
    Thanks for the report! What brand of block have you been using? According to what your Squirrel's diet has become, MBD is certainly a possibility now or later! I know that you are giving some extra calcium and vitamins and since you are giving Henry's Vitamins, it is all inclusive for Vitamins and Minerals but NOT Protein, Fats or Carbohydrates. Only 1 Gram (or measured teaspoon according to Henry's. Apparently they have measured the volume of 1 gram of their vitamins and found it to equal one measured teaspoon) will give your Squirrel the amount of Calcium and Vitamin D recommended by the publication Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals which is the guide that Henry's uses and many other use as a basis for formulating Rodent diets. Giving the Henry's vitamins is great but it is only effective IF you not only know how much he should have (1 gram) on a daily basis but also know for certain that he has actually consumed this amount. Also, it is essential in order to prevent MBD that the amount of phosphorus is controlled. Henry's Vitamins also contain a recommended amount of phosphorus and minimizing additional phosphorus is very beneficial. Nut and Hazelnuts are no exception; contain a high concentration of phosphorus as opposed to the amount of Calcium they contain. MBD disease can occur even if the Squirrel is getting an adequate amount of Calcium if it is also getting excessive phosphorus.

If at all possible, it would be optimal for your Squirrel to get at least 80% (and 100% is fine as well or anything in between) of his nutritional support in the form of quality block such as Envigo 2018 or Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet. As McCarthy pointed out, it is very difficult for any Squirrel, not just Grays, to get off nuts and go back to blocks and it is difficult for a Squirrel that was started on nuts before becoming accustomed to eating blocks on a regular basis to then start using blocks. A transition is possible however and flavorings, change in consistency of the blocks (making them softer possibly with something with added taste such as baby food fruits) and a little tough love as needed will usually work. For captive Squirrels, nuts should be limited to being a rare treat at best. Here is another very helpful bit of diet information from Henry's in the form of a pyramid with healthiest food being at the base of the pyramid (Rodent/Squirrel Blocks) and moving upward to the least healthy at the peak (nuts & treats): https://henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/

Please keep us updated on how your Squirrel is doing!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Thank you for the additional info!

The blocks I've had him on are Henry's Picky and Healthy Blocks . That chart from Henry's is actually what I use whenever veggie shopping.
    I will look into getting the other block brands and get him off the nuts .

Thank you for the additional info!

The blocks I've had him on are Henry's Picky and Healthy Blocks . That chart from Henry's is actually what I use whenever veggie shopping.
    I will look into getting the other block brands and get him off the nuts .
    In case you are not aware of this, Henry's blocks (ALL varieties) are never to be free-fed (allowing the Squirrel to consume as much as he might want). For an "average size" Squirrel, 2 blocks with a maximum of 3 depending upon Squirrel size and waste while eating will contain ALL of a Squirrel's daily nutritional needs including Calcium and Vitamin D! If you Squirrel will eat 2 Henry"s blocks somehow (adding taste, breaking in half, whatever) then all that he might need is added healthy food from the Pyramid so that he can feel "full" during the day as 2 blocks is only 10 Grams and probable the "average" Squirrel may eat 50 Grams in one day. The other blocks mentioned; Enmvigo 2018 and Mazuri can be free fed and Squirrels can even have both; Henry's and other Envigo and/or Mazuri blocks. The Envigo blocks for example are available from the company is relatively large bags but can be purchased in smaller amounts from various sources. One of the most popular and the one I use is on eBay and the seller is Ecosandy: Here is a link to Ecosandy on eBay for the Envigo 2018:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/23438305511...8AAMXQL99SccBN

There are other Envigo block beside the 2018 such as 2014 but the 2018 has higher protein which is better for young, growing Squirrels.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

Chirps (02-01-2023), island rehabber (02-01-2023)

In case you are not aware of this, Henry's blocks (ALL varieties) are never to be free-fed (allowing the Squirrel to consume as much as he might want). For an "average size" Squirrel, 2 blocks with a maximum of 3 depending upon Squirrel size and waste while eating will contain ALL of a Squirrel's daily nutritional needs including Calcium and Vitamin D! If you Squirrel will eat 2 Henry"s blocks somehow (adding taste, breaking in half, whatever) then all that he might need is added healthy food from the Pyramid so that he can feel "full" during the day as 2 blocks is only 10 Grams and probable the "average" Squirrel may eat 50 Grams in one day. The other blocks mentioned; Enmvigo 2018 and Mazuri can be free fed and Squirrels can even have both; Henry's and other Envigo and/or Mazuri blocks. The Envigo blocks for example are available from the company is relatively large bags but can be purchased in smaller amounts from various sources. One of the most popular and the one I use is on eBay and the seller is Ecosandy: Here is a link to Ecosandy on eBay for the Envigo 2018:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/23438305511...8AAMXQL99SccBN

There are other Envigo block beside the 2018 such as 2014 but the 2018 has higher protein which is better for young, growing Squirrels.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Awesome thank you!
    Yeah I have never given him more than 3 Henry's in a day. Try to get him to do 2.
    I will definitely get some of envigo 2018 from that ebay seller!

Awesome thank you!
    Yeah I have never given him more than 3 Henry's in a day. Try to get him to do 2.
    I will definitely get some of envigo 2018 from that ebay seller!
    Great! I may have missed it but what is the name of your Squirrel and how is he doing now? Is he fully recovered from his door incident. Also, did anything more happen from your contacting the Fish & Game Department, the original Vet (DoveLewis Clinic?) or the Audubon Society or did those worrisome contacts hopefully "blow over?"
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Great! I may have missed it but what is the name of your Squirrel and how is he doing now? Is he fully recovered from his door incident. Also, did anything more happen from your contacting the Fish & Game Department, the original Vet (DoveLewis Clinic?) or the Audubon Society or did those worrisome contacts hopefully "blow over?"
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

His name is Hazelnut. He seems to have recovered from the door incident. I haven't noticed any groans from discomfort when he moves. He does seem to be slightly less entergetic, more naps, and possibly not jumping as far.. He likes to jump to me from an end table. He is eating more often and gaining weight again.

The Fish and Wildlife Department just left me a message today about about my inquiry. I'm hesitant to return their call. DoveLewis said they will treat a squirrel but once they do they turn them over to Audubon Society. There is another local vet that said they will check him out and return him to me as they don't keep patients overnight. Unfortunately it sounds like they want him dropped off and picked up rather than me present. In order to do x-rays they require 30mins of anesthesia which is another concern of mine in itself. I would like to know he doesn't have an Odontoma, Maloccluded teeth, respiratory infection or cold, before releasing him. They also mentioned having to obtain a permit for them to see him a second time, in which case they would need to nueter him. Assuming because if they need to see him a second time for say a procedure, that he would no longer be releasable. The fact that they said I needed to call Rick Botner at Fish and Wildlife for a permit, makes me think it might be possible to obtain one. Just wish I knew if there was anyone else in Oregon who has.

His name is Hazelnut. He seems to have recovered from the door incident. I haven't noticed any groans from discomfort when he moves. He does seem to be slightly less entergetic, more naps, and possibly not jumping as far.. He likes to jump to me from an end table. He is eating more often and gaining weight again.

The Fish and Wildlife Department just left me a message today about about my inquiry. I'm hesitant to return their call. DoveLewis said they will treat a squirrel but once they do they turn them over to Audubon Society. There is another local vet that said they will check him out and return him to me as they don't keep patients overnight. Unfortunately it sounds like they want him dropped off and picked up rather than me present. In order to do x-rays they require 30mins of anesthesia which is another concern of mine in itself. I would like to know he doesn't have an Odontoma, Maloccluded teeth, respiratory infection or cold, before releasing him. They also mentioned having to obtain a permit for them to see him a second time, in which case they would need to nueter him. Assuming because if they need to see him a second time for say a procedure, that he would no longer be releasable. The fact that they said I needed to call Rick Botner at Fish and Wildlife for a permit, makes me think it might be possible to obtain one. Just wish I knew if there was anyone else in Oregon who has.
    I'm glad that Hazelnut is doing better. I just talked over the phone with ?Marian? at the Oregon Fish & Wildlife Department. Apparently she and Rick are involved in the approving of exceptions for keeping as pets what are considered illegal species of Squirrels. Two that were mentioned are Fox and Eastern Grays. What species of Squirrel is little Hazelnut. They are sending the application and other information to me. I will forward this to you via PM when I receive it. That way, at least you will have the information and you can contact them if you feel inclined to do so with the information already in your possession. It does appear that it may be possible after-all to get some sort of permit to keep a Squirrel in Oregon!

I don't really believe that the Vet means that he would keep Hazelnut under General Anesthesia for 30 minutes! Usually, all that would be required is a quick bit of sedation while they take x-ray films which would be a minute or two at the most. I suspect that they are talking about the charges and that they would charge the same as if they were actually using anesthesia for 30 minutes even though they are actually using only a very short and relatively light dosing of an inhaled anesthetic to get Hazelnut sedated but I may be wrong. I would suggest clarifying what is actually being proposed.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Chirps (02-07-2023)

I apologize, I haven’t read this whole thread. I’m not sure what the situation is with your squirrel, but I wanted to make you aware of a resource in Vancouver, Washington that might be able to help. A TSB member has a wildlife refuge there called Squirrel Refuge of Vancouver. The Refuge # is 360-836-0955. His name is Michael.

There’s also a member in Kirkland, WA. I can send you that contact in a private message if you’re interested.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (02-07-2023), island rehabber (02-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I apologize, I haven’t read this whole thread. I’m not sure what the situation is with your squirrel, but I wanted to make you aware of a resource in Vancouver, Washington that might be able to help. A TSB member has a wildlife refuge there called Squirrel Refuge of Vancouver. The Refuge # is 360-836-0955. His name is Michael.

There’s also a member in Kirkland, WA. I can send you that contact in a private message if you’re interested.

Thank you! I will have to call. He is doing better. I am open to taking him there if he'll live a good life and be safe from euthanasia. He wants to be free so bad.

I'm glad that Hazelnut is doing better. I just talked over the phone with ?Marian? at the Oregon Fish & Wildlife Department. Apparently she and Rick are involved in the approving of exceptions for keeping as pets what are considered illegal species of Squirrels. Two that were mentioned are Fox and Eastern Grays. What species of Squirrel is little Hazelnut. They are sending the application and other information to me. I will forward this to you via PM when I receive it. That way, at least you will have the information and you can contact them if you feel inclined to do so with the information already in your possession. It does appear that it may be possible after-all to get some sort of permit to keep a Squirrel in Oregon!

I don't really believe that the Vet means that he would keep Hazelnut under General Anesthesia for 30 minutes! Usually, all that would be required is a quick bit of sedation while they take x-ray films which would be a minute or two at the most. I suspect that they are talking about the charges and that they would charge the same as if they were actually using anesthesia for 30 minutes even though they are actually using only a very short and relatively light dosing of an inhaled anesthetic to get Hazelnut sedated but I may be wrong. I would suggest clarifying what is actually being proposed.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Thank you so much!! That is awesome you did that. Hazelnut is an Eastern Gray if I'm not mistaken.

You're probably right about the anesthesia. I just get nervous about it. It will be good to get him cleared by a vet as being healthy and releasable!

Thank you so much!! That is awesome you did that. Hazelnut is an Eastern Gray if I'm not mistaken.

You're probably right about the anesthesia. I just get nervous about it. It will be good to get him cleared by a vet as being healthy and releasable!
    I sent a PM to you.
    Regards,
    StS