Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Losing weight rapidly

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    11,608
    Thanked: 2929

    Question Losing weight rapidly

    My fat boy who is 12 and a half years young has in the past few weeks not wanting to eat much, he's even gone off blocks 🥺
    I've bought baby food squash and such he eats a small amount. I was cooking squash slightly to make it soft he had incisors removed from odatoma years ago he only has slight bottom incisors.
    Long story longer I guess, he's just not wanting much I even make him FV he'll have a little, now if I give him a piece of Pizza crust it's gone in a flash🥴
    Any ideas what might help him eat better 🤷
    Mind you he's a FL grey and weighs 695g of this morning, he's dropped from 720g recently.
    I know he's still a big boy and I did want him to drop some weight just not so fast and not by not wanting to eat☹️
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

    fanofmothernature (02-05-2023)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,915
    Thanked: 13301

    Default Re: Losing weight rapidly

    Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    My fat boy who is 12 and a half years young has in the past few weeks not wanting to eat much, he's even gone off blocks ��
    I've bought baby food squash and such he eats a small amount. I was cooking squash slightly to make it soft he had incisors removed from odatoma years ago he only has slight bottom incisors.
    Long story longer I guess, he's just not wanting much I even make him FV he'll have a little, now if I give him a piece of Pizza crust it's gone in a flash��
    Any ideas what might help him eat better ��
    Mind you he's a FL grey and weighs 695g of this morning, he's dropped from 720g recently.
    I know he's still a big boy and I did want him to drop some weight just not so fast and not by not wanting to eat☹️
    Been going through the same thing with Annie. No blocks, no boo balls, very little of anything else. I lightly dust most in her food dish with calcium in hope she gets enough with whatever she decides to eat when /if she does.
    I don't get it, she's acting alright and has been doing so well. Your guy likely a month older then Annie, she hasn't had any teeth issues.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    11,608
    Thanked: 2929

    Default Re: Losing weight rapidly

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Been going through the same thing with Annie. No blocks, no boo balls, very little of anything else. I lightly dust most in her food dish with calcium in hope she gets enough with whatever she decides to eat when /if she does.
    I don't get it, she's acting alright and has been doing so well. Your guy likely a month older then Annie, she hasn't had any teeth issues.
    Yes forgot to add outside of sleeping more he climbs plays it's so weird or does he just want the FUN FOOD 🤷 I too have been sprinkling calcium 👍
    Will Annie take treats readily?
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,915
    Thanked: 13301

    Default Re: Losing weight rapidly

    Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Yes forgot to add outside of sleeping more he climbs plays it's so weird or does he just want the FUN FOOD 🤷 I too have been sprinkling calcium 👍
    Will Annie take treats readily?
    Of course if it's a nut but I can hold out a lot longer then her if she's not eating what she should. She's pretty stubborn but I'm just as stubborn.
    One day I fed her breakfast, she didn't eat it, I didn't feed her anything else the rest of the day. The next morning everything was still there... untouched!
    Now she's decided to eat but still won't touch her block so now I'm trying reverse psychology by not offering any block, we'll see what happens in a few days.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    11,608
    Thanked: 2929

    Default Re: Losing weight rapidly

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Of course if it's a nut but I can hold out a lot longer then her if she's not eating what she should. She's pretty stubborn but I'm just as stubborn.
    One day I fed her breakfast, she didn't eat it, I didn't feed her anything else the rest of the day. The next morning everything was still there... untouched!
    Now she's decided to eat but still won't touch her block so now I'm trying reverse psychology by not offering any block, we'll see what happens in a few days.
    It's maddening🤦
    So today I took a block put some almond butter on it he ate a little then buried it.
    He readily takes cooked chicken breast meat I cut in small pieces, scrambled and hard boiled egg, some baby food squash and mixed fruits.
    He climbs like crazy acts fine so I'm just hoping he continues to stay active.
    I'm going to start putting him outside in his sun cage daily except tomorrow we will have rain, I know that's not a possibility with your area. I've never bothered with lights as it can't work with the way his room is plus he climbs in his cube 😴
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    3,595
    Thanked: 3405

    Default Re: Losing weight rapidly

    Loosing a bit of weight isn't a bad think for an older squirrel as long as they don't become overly thin. Of course there could be another explanation. A fellow member and friend related that they observed that their E. Gray had a sudden reduction of appetite in winter, from that of the fall, that occurred annually like clockwork every year.

  8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

    Charley Chuckles (02-02-2023)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    11,608
    Thanked: 2929

    Default Re: Losing weight rapidly

    Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Loosing a bit of weight isn't a bad think for an older squirrel as long as they don't become overly thin. Of course there could be another explanation. A fellow member and friend related that they observed that their E. Gray had a sudden reduction of appetite in winter, from that of the fall, that occurred annually like clockwork every year.
    Actually that is reassuring 👍
    I've tried for years to get Conker a little slimmer, but in the past I hated his hanging skin, boy do I understand that scenario after weight loss
    I've never wanted him to get too thin especially at his age so he will have something to fall back on.
    I know he had taken off weight come spring in the past I keep a ledger but this seemed so sudden and not wanting to eat.
    He's eating alrightish (made a new word I'm talented that way ) as long as he eats and doesn't keep reducing I'll be happy 🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    11,608
    Thanked: 2929

    Default Re: Losing weight rapidly

    Today is nice out so I put Conker in his sun cage👍
    Tried to upright pics didn't work 🤷
    Name:  20230204_113906_HDR.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  185.4 KBName:  20230204_113900_HDR.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  177.8 KB
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

    Diggie's Friend (02-06-2023)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •