Thread: Too long to be on antibiotics?

Default Too long to be on antibiotics?

How long is too long to be on antibiotics (TMZ, the pink stuff), in your opinion/observation?

Context is a stubborn case of "squirrel pox" that gets worse when antibiotics stop. Months.

Symptoms: infection starts with swollen partially black eyelids and sores under and on ears. Ivermectin seemed to help (one dose a week for 2 weeks), but did not cure.

Please share your advice and experience.

We might try the acyclovir next, but concerns over antibiotic resistance, etc.

Default Re: Too long to be on antibiotics?

Antibiotics can be used to control secondary bacterial infections but will not eliminate Pox which is viral. And ivermectin or Revolution can help to deal with mange and eliminate fleas and other parasites but will not directly help with Pox.

An anti-viral like acyclovir would be the primary treatment for Pox (along with making food and clean water easily accessible). You can treat with antibiotics and/or antiparasitics as needed but I would not use them excessively. SMZ-TMP is fairly easy on the GI system and can be used for longer periods. But I am not sure what is being treated after 3 weeks or so?

You can give Ivermectin 3 times (1x per week). I would try the acyclovir and supportive care (food (and try sprinkling a bit of probiotic powder on it), fresh water changed daily). See how he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky1 View Post
    How long is too long to be on antibiotics (TMZ, the pink stuff), in your opinion/observation?

Context is a stubborn case of "squirrel pox" that gets worse when antibiotics stop. Months.

Symptoms: infection starts with swollen partially black eyelids and sores under and on ears. Ivermectin seemed to help (one dose a week for 2 weeks), but did not cure.

Please share your advice and experience.

We might try the acyclovir next, but concerns over antibiotic resistance, etc.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Rocky1 (01-29-2023)