Thread: Baby flyer not using hind foot

Default Baby flyer not using hind foot

Hello,
    I found 2 baby southern flying squirrels 3 days ago. Fully furred, eyes open, flat tail. I gave them both pedialyte with a drop of honey for 24 hours, then started them on Esbilac with the blue ribbon. I don't have a scale yet, so I do not know their weight. Both were very poor at first, and have perked up since the rehydration process. All of a sudden, the smallest has lost the use of his back right foot. Seems to be using the leg...but the foot drags. Gave a tiny amount of crushed tum with pedialyte yesterday...but no progress as of yet. Any ideas?

Default Re: Baby flyer not using hind foot

Could he have injured it in the cage somehow? Have you examined his foot for redness or an injury? If it is possibly related to MBD (not likely) it will take awhile for you to see an improvement. The calcium would need to be dosed continually for weeks, or longer.

I see you’re in GA. We have a member who is a rehabber in Cummings, GA and another who’s just over the GA/SC border if you’d like to reach out to them. They may be able to take the little guys. You can reach The Cummings Nuthouse Wildlife Rehab Facility at 770-740-8829. Let me know if you’re closer to the SC border and I’ll pm you the contact info for the other member.

You must get a scale as they are fed a percentage of their weight at each feeding.