Thread: my Squirrel Perry

Unhappy my Squirrel Perry

Hello everyone
    I am new here and wanted to say hello
    I raised a 3 week old baby squirrel and then released him when he was old enough and ready,he did super well with it all, he would always come home at night but its been almost 2 months and he has not come back
    There are about 4-5 squirrels in my yard i feed them because im not sure if one is our Perry boy I try to call his name but none come to me they run away! Do you think my boy forgot about me or something bad happened to him? I see him sit in the tree where he did when he would go outside but again I call his name and he does't come. what do you think?
    Thank you

Default Re: my Squirrel Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissey32 View Post
    Hello everyone
    I am new here and wanted to say hello
    I raised a 3 week old baby squirrel and then released him when he was old enough and ready,he did super well with it all, he would always come home at night but its been almost 2 months and he has not come back
    There are about 4-5 squirrels in my yard i feed them because im not sure if one is our Perry boy I try to call his name but none come to me they run away! Do you think my boy forgot about me or something bad happened to him? I see him sit in the tree where he did when he would go outside but again I call his name and he does't come. what do you think?
    Thank you
    Squirrels have very different personalities. Some come back, scared of the wilderness, and never want to see it again. But most adopt very well, become wild, and wander off. Some come back many months or even years later, with their own offspring. Some just blend in with the scurry and it becomes hard to tell them apart.

I would not worry, because you did everything right. Squirrels almost always prefer the trees over cages and being inside a house. I take in hurt or sick wilds at times. They play along nicely with being confined, until they feel better. Then they make it VERY clear that they want to get out again.

I'm sure your Perry boy is chasing some females right about now... its that time of the year again.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Chrissey32 (01-25-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (01-25-2023)

Default Re: My Squirrel Perry

Thank you!! You made me feel better ☺️ It's so hard when you raised and love him as your own but your right he needs to be in his own world outside with others and I'm glad I did things right for him. Just miss him so much

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chrissey32:

Chirps (01-27-2023), McCarthy (01-25-2023)

The girls tend to stick close, if you can offer a safe place with some chow and a good tree with maybe a box in it to live in. The boys tend more to stick around for a while, and then they disburse - they travel to other areas - some can be quite close to you - so as to assure better genetic diversity in the population, unless the area they are in is pretty sparsely populated (with squirrels).

They will travel some distances for food, though. I have a squirrel feeder in my backyard and I remember passing one of my regulars - he had a very distinctive wonky tail - a good mile plus from my home when I was going home for lunch. When I was leaving my house to head back to work, he was coming up my driveway! I felt badly for not offering him a ride...

And yes, it is that time of year, even here in New England they are doing their mating chasing in a foot of snow!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Chrissey32 (01-25-2023)

Thank you for responding! 😊
    I hope he comes back to say hello and I also feed them everyday and it's always the same squirrels that come.
    I really just want to know if he would approach me or my family we gave him so much love and affection and I miss my boy 😥 Name:  IMG_20221129_123506630.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  126.1 KB

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chrissey32:

Chirps (01-27-2023), McCarthy (01-25-2023)

I hope he comes back to say hello and I also feed them everyday and it's always the same squirrels that come.
    I really just want to know if he would approach me or my family we gave him so much love and affection and I miss my boy 😥 Name:  IMG_20221129_123506630.jpg

Keep in mind, squirrel kids stay with their mom for a while, but eventually get chased away by the mother, so they can become independent and increase their survival chances. Sticking together in families is a human expectation, but tree squirrels are - by nature - solitary for the majority of their lives, especially the males.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (01-25-2023)

May I just say, that is an adorable pic! Look at that little loafer! What surprised me most about these little gems is how much they LOVE luxury. I sometimes think that microfleece was actually created for squirrels!

They are such little individuals, it is hard to say. We have had people have them disappear for months and then one day waltz back in like no time had passed. I would just keep the food available.

Talking about loafers, here is my loaf of bread...