Thread: General Feeding Questions

Question General Feeding Questions

Hello!

We recently rescued a Southern Flying Squirrel. Rowdy is now around 6-7 weeks (as best we can determine) He is starting to wean himself off of the replacement formula. Once he does this completely I just need to know that what I am feeding him daily is correct or not and what is best. I have done tons of research and reading in the last few weeks, there is so much contradictory info out there.....but this is what I have determined and done so far.... Please let me know what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong!

1. feed fresh veggies freely (so far I have been giving spring mix lettuce and cabbage)
    2. feed nuts & fruits daily but only small amount (so far I have been giving him 2 tiny pieces of apple and 1 nut)
    3. I also have been giving him a small animal rodent feed by Dumar which consists of pellets and seeds.....I have read conflicting things on feeding this, some say no
    and some say yes....so I need advice on this.
    4. Are there certain fruits and veggies that should not be fed?
    5. I see some people feed their squirrels yogurt...should I be doing this?

I have read all about the HHB's and I have ordered those so will start feeding those on the daily as soon as they arrive.

Any advice on the correct things to feed is appreciated!

Thank You,

Shelly

Default Re: General Feeding Questions

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ1975 View Post
    1. feed fresh veggies freely (so far I have been giving spring mix lettuce and cabbage)
    The first and ONLY food should be a high quality rodent block. Introduce veggies only after they are eating the block well.

2. feed nuts & fruits daily but only small amount (so far I have been giving him 2 tiny pieces of apple and 1 nut)
    Feeding nuts is much like feeding Skittles or Cotton Candy to a toddler, so strictly treats.

3. I also have been giving him a small animal rodent feed by Dumar which consists of pellets and seeds.....I have read conflicting things on feeding this, some say no and some say yes....so I need advice on this.
    I am unfamiliar with particular product but I did look at the ingredients and I would steer clear... the Henry's as you found is the best option IMO. If you do feed extruded commercial rodent block it should be the vast majority of their diet FWIW.

4. Are there certain fruits and veggies that should not be fed?
    See link to healthy foods that includes the good, the bad and things in between.

5. I see some people feed their squirrels yogurt...should I be doing this?
    You can but it not a "need".

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ght=flyer+diet

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

TSJ1975 (01-24-2023)

Spanky,

Thank you so much for the advice and info....I will adjust accordingly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The first and ONLY food should be a high quality rodent block. Introduce veggies only after they are eating the block well.

Feeding nuts is much like feeding Skittles or Cotton Candy to a toddler, so strictly treats.

I am unfamiliar with particular product but I did look at the ingredients and I would steer clear... the Henry's as you found is the best option IMO. If you do feed extruded commercial rodent block it should be the vast majority of their diet FWIW.

See link to healthy foods that includes the good, the bad and things in between.

one more question... can they have pine cones to play with and chew on?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

one more question... can they have pine cones to play with and chew on?
    The first and ONLY food should be a high quality rodent block. Introduce veggies (and pine cones) only after they are eating the block well.

Pine cones are a food source as well as provide enrichment and play... make certain the pine cones have not been sprayed with pesticides.

to TSB!