Thread: Large mass on jaw

Default Large mass on jaw

I have an older Foxie girl that has been under the care of a vet for malocclusion for some time. She goes in monthly for her teeth trims. Over time, she has developed a mass on her left jaw. The vet and I talked about it at her last trim, and she said honestly, she's not sure what it is. She said she seems otherwise very healthy, but that she would need to do some research. Whatever the mass is, it's very hard like a rock and doesn't move around. For now, nothing has changed as far as her habits or eating, so we're assuming that it's not terribly painful. Was just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this, or has an idea of what it could be so that I could mention it to the vet. Photos attached...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Large mass on jaw

Has your vet discussed the possibility of odontoma? There is a vet in Fl (Dr Emerson at Ravenwood clinic) who has a good deal of experience with tooth issues in squirrel. It might be worth it for your vet to contact her for a consult.

Quote Originally Posted by MissPoe View Post
    I have an older Foxie girl that has been under the care of a vet for malocclusion for some time. She goes in monthly for her teeth trims. Over time, she has developed a mass on her left jaw. The vet and I talked about it at her last trim, and she said honestly, she's not sure what it is. She said she seems otherwise very healthy, but that she would need to do some research. Whatever the mass is, it's very hard like a rock and doesn't move around. For now, nothing has changed as far as her habits or eating, so we're assuming that it's not terribly painful. Was just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this, or has an idea of what it could be so that I could mention it to the vet. Photos attached...
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (01-13-2023)

Here are references of the treatment of dental issues in squirrels for your vet to review:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...69#post1354469

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...792#post733792

I would 2nd the recommendation of Emerson DVM of Florida for this condition.

This kind of thing isn't something that most vets without experience in treating squirrels with dental conditions can do as well to treat; this especially in older squirrels.

Thank you both for the input, and for confirming my suspicions. I did mention odontoma to the vet… she said she’s seen it in the nasal cavities, but hasn’t experienced it on the side of the jaw like that. She’s very forthcoming about not being a wildlife expert, but is willing to try. She does believe that she sustained some kind of impact to the side of her mouth that caused the misaligned teeth. So, just the trauma aspect alone led me to first think odontoma.

I’ll definitely check those links out.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MissPoe from:

Diggie's Friend (01-14-2023)

It is important for vets doing surgery on tree squirrels to be experienced in anesthesia to safely support them for surgery; not just going by what is noted for rats in a manual. It is also needful to maintain an external heat source that won't harm the squirrel; this means no high intensity heat lamps! For post-op, providing an incubator is not optional but vital! Save for surgeries that involve the digestive tract (other options); our former exotic vet instructed that we feed a meal a couple hours prior to our squirrel's surgery to prevent a potentially significant drop in the their blood sugar level. Along the same line, having a blood values and urine values work up done a week prior to the date of the surgery to determine if perhaps the squirrel has diabetes or another prior undiagnosed condition; as well as having an x-ray taken prior at that time for the same reason.

It would be far better for another vet who is knowledgeable and practiced at doing this procedure to preform it. Best of all, would be for Dr. Emerson, a squirrel dental expert and surgeon, who has advanced knowledge, experience, and skill in preforming this complicated procedure in pet squirrels on a regular basis, refining her technique.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Rock Monkey (01-17-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (01-15-2023)

Oh I would love to be able to take her to Florida, but I’m an older lady who doesn’t drive much. I live quite far away. I’m not too sure what to do… the vet really doesn’t want to treat her anymore because she just doesn’t know what her issue is. She eats, she caches food, she grooms… she doesn’t appear to be in any pain at this point so I hate to see her put down if she’s still living a happy life. I would be open to transferring her to someone else who knows how to trim teeth and/or who might have a vet with more squirrel experience. I just wouldn’t know where to start in finding her a safe place. I saved her and have been caring for her because I couldn’t find any place that would help. She’s brought me a lot of joy, but at the end of the day I just want what’s best for her.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MissPoe from:

stepnstone (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MissPoe View Post
    Oh I would love to be able to take her to Florida, but I’m an older lady who doesn’t drive much. I live quite far away. I’m not too sure what to do… the vet really doesn’t want to treat her anymore because she just doesn’t know what her issue is. She eats, she caches food, she grooms… she doesn’t appear to be in any pain at this point so I hate to see her put down if she’s still living a happy life. I would be open to transferring her to someone else who knows how to trim teeth and/or who might have a vet with more squirrel experience. I just wouldn’t know where to start in finding her a safe place. I saved her and have been caring for her because I couldn’t find any place that would help. She’s brought me a lot of joy, but at the end of the day I just want what’s best for her.
    Hi MissPoe:
    This truly sounds like an odontoma but there are other possibilities. Would you be willing to post the State you live in? Others on the TSB may be able to help you with locating a competent, Squirrel-friendly Vet closer to your home.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel