Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attacked squirrel - Nose gone

Default Re: Attacked squirrel - Nose gone

Attachment 323895Attachment 323895
    Attached Images Attached Images    

When she breaths it has a smell something between wet dog and mildew.

I let her into my foyer for warmth and to keep her around food. I was hoping this would save the energy of confinement and danger of predation.

Something weird, when other squirrels approached her, they walked away, and avoided her.

She's lost weight in my opinion.

The closest rescue and humane society recommend euthanizing. It would have a slow death and bad quality of life.
    I'm sad, so sad. I feel like I've failed it. Now it's really trying to leave my foyer, freaking out.

I feel so awful.

It would be great if she took the amoxicillin, but that be more prophylactic than actually treating an active infection. Getting her to eat and drink routinely may be more important for her. I'd continue to try to get her to eat the medicine, but if a choice between eating nothing at all or something, I would opt for her eating. But keep attempting to dose her with the amoxicillin, the bad breadth doss not sound good.

Is this a squirrel you were familiar before her injury? I ask because it is unusual for them to be quite so friendly to people... except juveniles in distress. They'll walk right up to a person, a dog or cat if they are one their own (lost their mom). With people, we call this "warm tree syndrome"... they are just looking for some help. However, too many people a frightened by this behavior and too often will injury the squirrel... perhaps a possibility to what happened in this case. I treated one that was friendly like this because she was raised by people... when she started chewing their furniture, they threw her outdoors. She approached a neighbor that ended up pouring a pot of boiling water on the squirrel.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Animal_Pal (12-31-2022)

I know this place is a little further away, and you'd need to capture her and transport her to Lowell in a cage, but they may be willing to help her. I have taken squirrels to them in the past (car hit, paralyzed) and they did everything perfect for Hank ("the Tank").... I grew up in MI and have a brother in GR.

https://www.facebook.com/farmwildlif...b8lgM4PnOPZzlI
    (616) 885-4223
    sjanagordon@icloud.com

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Animal_Pal (12-31-2022), CritterMom (12-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    It would be great if she took the amoxicillin, but that be more prophylactic than actually treating an active infection. Getting her to eat and drink routinely may be more important for her. I'd continue to try to get her to eat the medicine, but if a choice between eating nothing at all or something, I would opt for her eating. But keep attempting to dose her with the amoxicillin, the bad breadth doss not sound good.

Is this a squirrel you were familiar before her injury? I ask because it is unusual for them to be quite so friendly to people... except juveniles in distress. They'll walk right up to a person, a dog or cat if they are one their own (lost their mom). With people, we call this "warm tree syndrome"... they are just looking for some help. However, too many people a frightened by this behavior and too often will injury the squirrel... perhaps a possibility to what happened in this case. I treated one that was friendly like this because she was raised by people... when she started chewing their furniture, they threw her outdoors. She approached a neighbor that ended up pouring a pot of boiling water on the squirrel.
    I have to admit, I assumed that we were familiar with it because she was eating from our tree and came running down, like many of them do. She looked like one of the "babies" or young ones.

I had the humane society come and take it. The rescue I called was really concerned about the infection, and I can't rehab her here myself. The society vet wouldn't give me injectable antibiotics, what the rehabber told me it would need.

It was in question if it could smell, or breath much through its nose. I saw it drink once after it tried escaping. That really drained and it had to take a nap.

Honestly I'm still crying. I feel like I can never do enough for them.

I know this place is a little further away, and you'd need to capture her and transport her to Lowell in a cage, but they may be willing to help her. I have taken squirrels to them in the past (car hit, paralyzed) and they did everything perfect for Hank ("the Tank").... I grew up in MI and have a brother in GR.

https://www.facebook.com/farmwildlif...b8lgM4PnOPZzlI
    (616) 885-4223
    sjanagordon@icloud.com
    I actually called them and they are the ones that recommended euthanizing it. She said I can try to rehab it, but would likely need plastic surgery and strong antibiotics.

I had the humane society come and take it. The rescue I called was really concerned about the infection, and I can't rehab her here myself. The society vet wouldn't give me injectable antibiotics, what the rehabber told me it would need.

It was in question if it could smell, or breath much through its nose. I saw it drink once after it tried escaping. That really drained and it had to take a nap.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Animal_Pal from:

TubeDriver (12-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal_Pal View Post
    Sometimes the best thing we can offer is a peaceful crossing to the bridge. Know you have done exactly that; I agree that her injuries were likely insurmountable.

Thank you for caring enough to do all that you did... RIP Little one.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Animal_Pal (01-02-2023), TubeDriver (12-31-2022)

Sometimes the best thing we can offer is a peaceful crossing to the bridge. Know you have done exactly that; I agree that her injuries were likely insurmountable.

Thank you for caring enough to do all that you did... RIP Little one.

I really appreciate that because I keep seeing it in the tree trying, or actually eating, in my foyer resting, drinking, looking into my house interested, also freaking out, wanting out.
    Apparently feeling guilty, responsible, remorseful, as a type of negotiation to regain control.

Thumbs up Re: Attacked squirrel - Nose gone

I appreciate everyone coming together to support me. The fast responses felt like there was a community supporting me trying.

Logic and feeling are colliding. I feel some comfort hearing your words to me. I think its' will to live is what I struggle with the most. I've seen other animals want to it to end, the pain to overbearing. It wasn't the case here.

I think I'll be checking in with the board to gather opinions. Leaning heavily on the experience that was so strongly demonstrated here.
    It seems I more quickly as a question to some instagram account, before the board.

Thanks again.

You could try feeding her organic whole fat yogurt with calcium added from a syringe to bypass the effected area. yogurt with no sugars added, containing only naturally occurring sugars; is higher calcium content than phosphorus; is a good source to lend support to an injured adult.

Using a 3 ml non-needle feeding syringe, hold is from below her jaw up to her mouth.
    Feed slowly giving ample time to swallow between gulps.

https://www.amazon.com/Wallaby-Organ...642139&sr=8-29

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12