Thread: 2-year old squirrel needs a home

Default 2-year old squirrel needs a home

Hello! I have a beloved pet squirrel named Dillita. My cat brought her home at only 2 weeks in the summer of 2020 and my family and I did a lot of research to raise her. She grew up to be a beautiful and healthy squirrel.
    However, my parents both work full time jobs and as a premed my life gets busier every year, with internships, work-study jobs and classes, leaving little to no time to dedicate to Dillita. We live in South Florida and would love for a rehabber or dedicated individual to take care of her and give her the attention she needs.

Dillita is playful and loving and understands commands.
    GOOD QUALITIES:
    * Obedient- she knows play time is over when I start tapping on her cage while calling her name, and will eventually make her way inside. I ensure to give her a peanut (right after, not before) to let her know she did a good job.

* Dillita must get on the top rack of her cage before I give her food.
    * She knows she can climb on anything except people (because we don't allow her).
    * She understands no as a firm (nuh uh).
    * Loves to cuddle and be carried when she's sleepy.
    *No teeth trimming required. will naturally trim incisors as long as you leave a small log or branch inside cage that she can chew on. Will also appreciate cuttlebone and store-bought woods (like apple sticks and lemon branches).
    * Not a picky eater. Has a variegated diet and will eat any fruit/vegetable given. Loves her squirrel blocks from Henry's Healthy Pets. I feed her two blocks a day.

NOT-SO GOOD QUALITIES
    * Extremely guarding of her food- No petting or handling while she's eating. She likes to be left alone in her cage and prefers to be at least 2 feet away from anyone when eating. I am not sure why because we weaned her off formula at around 9-10 weeks by introducing squirrel blocks hand-to-mouth. Reprimanding for this behavior is not effective, so it's best to just leave her be. She is herself once her food is finished or she is too full to eat anymore. (You're not you when you're hungry lol).
    * Doesn't like to be maneuvered/carried when she's actively playing and running around, but will not bite if you do. Every time I have to pick her up she will just nibble my fingers as a way to convey "Put me down!"

It is devastating to have to let her go, but we want the best life for Dillita and I know I am no longer able to provide her that. We do not wish to take her to a wildlife rehab as they will most likely euthanize due to inability to adapt to the wild.
    Please let me know if you are interested or know of anyone who could be.

Default Re: 2-year old squirrel needs a home

Name:  IMG-1577.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  136.2 KB
    Name:  IMG-1786.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  72.7 KB
    Name:  IMG-0520.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  185.7 KB
    Name:  IMG-0516.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  52.6 KB

I would love to take her. I live in Central Florida. However, there might be complications in me getting her because I'll be moving to another town in FL within the next couple months or so.
    Life without squirrels isn't life at all.
    Squirrels are Nature's gift to the trees, and vice versa.

I couldn't decide which squirrels should be in my signature. Why not all of them?
    Squirrel Awareness Blog
    Long Live Squirrels!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cre8ivmind from:

Charley Chuckles (01-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by cre8ivmind View Post
    I would love to take her. I live in Central Florida. However, there might be complications in me getting her because I'll be moving to another town in FL within the next couple months or so.
    Hello, and sorry for the late reply, I do not get notifications from this site. I am glad you are willing to offer. We can wait until you are situated to take her as a pet, meanwhile you can come meet her if you find the time and in case we don't live too far. Do you have an email or phone number where we can better communicate?

She is beautiful and looks quite healthy! I hope you both can make this happen.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Fabulous_homie (01-27-2023), stepnstone (12-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous_homie View Post
    Hello, and sorry for the late reply, I do not get notifications from this site. I am glad you are willing to offer. We can wait until you are situated to take her as a pet, meanwhile you can come meet her if you find the time and in case we don't live too far. Do you have an email or phone number where we can better communicate?
    It's best to reach me by email:
    scalisti@yahoo.com

I couldn't decide which squirrels should be in my signature. Why not all of them?
    Squirrel Awareness Blog
    Long Live Squirrels!

Quote Originally Posted by cre8ivmind View Post
    I don't know how I missed this but I actually live in Orange City long ago I lived in Deltona, hello neighbor 😄
    Sorry for the thread jack 🙃
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

island rehabber (01-03-2023)

Did this "pet transfer" work out?

In post #6 there’s an email. You might reach out via that email to find out the status of the transfer.

I am going to be buying a house; not sure when. But when I do, I plan on adopting this squirrel.

Squirrel Awareness Blog
    Long Live Squirrels!

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cre8ivmind from:

McCarthy (02-09-2023)

Hello,
    I would absolutely love to have your baby if still available. I'm the biggest squirrel lover. 🙏