Thread: Is yogurt harmful?

Default Is yogurt harmful?

Ok so I was told a while back to give 1 teaspoon of yogurt to my squirrel 2-3 times a week (for bacteria and calcium)... But I was told last week that dairy product (cow) is harmful to squirrel and to stop? Which is Which I am lost now...
    My squirrel is in captivity he cant be release....

Default Re: Is yogurt harmful?

Yogurt is fine. I give it to my flyer all the time. I use a full fat organic vanilla yogurt called Liberte’ but I don’t think it’s available everywhere and that’s what he likes best. Stoneyfield makes an organic full fat vanilla yogurt as well. Don’t give a yogurt with artificial sweeteners in it. Flavor varieties are ok too….whatever your baby seems to prefer.

The conflicting information about cows milk is in regards to feeding babies. They are never to be given cows milk in place of the proper formula.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

CritterMom (12-07-2022), Diggie's Friend (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Yogurt is fine. I use a full fat organic vanilla yogurt called Liberte’ .
    Should I then try I cna have liberte here(cow product but almost no ingredients) or should I try then goat yogurt (if better for them I can try

I have seen first hand how cow's milk can harm wildlife unfortunately. I am also concerned about yogurt because I think it is often a cow's milk product? Maybe something in its processing makes it unharmful?

In N.A. and Europe, yogurts are most commonly produced from the fermentation of cow and goat's milk.

Fermentation of food is a form of digestion. Fermentation of milk makes the protein it contains easier to digest.

This is why it doesn't have the issues that the digestive issues that unfermented cow's milk has.

Lactase, the enzyme which digests , 'milk sugar', naturally occurring in yogurt, is produced through the fermentation process.

Yogurt, which contain high levels of good digestive bacteria, makes the nutrients the yogurt and other foods consumed with it, more bioavailable (availability of calcium) to the body and bones.

Yogurt is naturally high in calcium.

For these reasons, choosing a low or lower sugar content source of yogurt and limiting the amount of yogurt from a flavored yogurt which have some sugars added, is advisable.

Organic yogurts, like, "Stonyfield" plain, have no sugars added. Conversely, non-organic yogurts which are most commonly significantly higher in added sugars, like "yopl..", should be not be fed to squirrels or pets.

Along with excess sugar content, non-organic yogurt sources and some organic brands also, may employ processing practices that denature proteins, which produces, " neurotoxins". aka: "excitotoxins".

Read more on the benefits of yogurt: https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fe...p-health-food/
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 12-10-2022 at 04:04 PM.