Thread: 8 weeks old flying squirrel , can I remove the heat source?

Default 8 weeks old flying squirrel , can I remove the heat source?

He's in a 10 gallon now 46g but I think it's time to move him into a bigger cage? He can glide in tent. The problem is the wire cages I don't think I can use the heat pad under. Is it OK to take him off heat now?

Default Re: 8 weeks old flying squirrel , can I remove the heat source?

When he no longer stays on the side with the heat, and stays / sleeps on the non-heated side is the signal that it is okay to remove the heating pad. That typically does happen before 8 weeks.

I have a bigger cage coming a critter national 2 story. Says 1/2" bars so hopefully that is an OK cage. He still does seem to use the warm side sometimes. Maybe I will let him sleep in the 10 gallon but go into the big cage for several hours each day when he's active until he stops using the warm side. I have him using a tent as a playpen now and he seems to be in a super active state right now practicing his jumping and gliding.

Just to close this out, my little guy is doing great in his critter nation double cage, eating his blocks and veggies and still taking milk replacer but not as much as before as he prefers solid foods now except first thing in the morning.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lovesquirrels1:

island rehabber (12-30-2022), Mel1959 (01-02-2023), Spanky (12-30-2022)