Thread: New worries

Default New worries

Hey guys...my girl is 3 days post-op from Tucson removal and has not pooped yet. I know she didn't really eat that much on the first two days and last night I started the emeraid IC omnivore. She was sucking from the syringe 6ml. She ate avocado with gusto the first 2 days, and her bowl was eaten from HPB, grape, blueberry, snap peas, etc... Today she still has milky tears and no poop as of 12/1 1700.
    I'm still waiting for vet to call and tell me culture results.
    Any advice?

Default Re: New worries

White tears means she is in pain; which is what puts them off their feed.

Recommend contacting surgeon vet for meds and dose.

Board rehabbers may also give their recommendation for meds.

Yeah she is getting .3 of Meloxicam oncer/ day. She weighs 1.2#. I want to give more, or give 1x/day but I'm going to call the vet in the morning. Any ideas if the constipation persists?

It may not be constipation - it may be that there isn't enough in her system yet to cause her to poop.

The pain. Vets love meloxicam but the problem is that it is only dosed 1x per day - and it sure doesn't provide pain relief that long. So by the time for the next dose, they can be hurting pretty bad.

It is good when mixed with Tramadol - you then do 1x meloxicam and 1x Tramadol 12 hours apart and that works great but you don't have and they are unlikely to provide you with it for this. I have no idea if splitting the meloxicam dose in half and giving half every 12 hours would work well...

I prefer ibuprophen for this because it can be given every 4 hours if needed and they usually respond really well to it and don't NEED it that often. It should only be used short term a couple days - but dental pain should be past by then.

Did she x-ray after the extraction to ensure that she got everything out? If there is still an issue, pain meds aren't the problem...

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Diggie's Friend (12-02-2022)

When my squirrel had two bad molars removed the vet prescribed Buprenorphine, meloxicam and tramadol. The Bup was given for the first 5 days and the meloxicam and tramadol for another 5 days….maybe more, I can’t remember.