Thread: Possible odontoma

Default Possible odontoma

Miracle is 4 years old, everyone here helped me save her life when she was a baby and I am hoping to get some help again. Last week she stopped eating her picky blocks for a few days, which was concerning, but she started eating again with no issues and has went on feeding strikes before. This morning when I went to feed her she had a streak of red on her fur under her neck and I had not fed her anything red. After looking in her mouth I could see her gum was swollen on the left side and also she had white tears coming out of her left eye. She has been sneezing a few times also. I immediately thought the worst and searched for somewhere I could take her. I called Dr. Emerson in Port Orange, FL and she was not able to see her and she is about to be gone for a week. The soonest she could see her is November 21st and she said that would not be soon enough if she did have the odontoma. She didn't have any ideas of who I could call that might be able to help. I am in Cape Coral, Fl and was willing to make the drive to her office. I called all over today and was able to find a vet that would see her today. I am disappointed because she didn't look at he teeth she just took my word that she had some swelling and didn't do any x-rays. She did prescribe antibiotics and meloxicam for pain and recommended we try those first. I gave her the first dose of both medicines this afternoon. Is there any members of the board that live near me that would be willing to look at her to see if I am over reacting, I would bring her to you. I am just very worried about her and is that what most vets would do or should I try to go somewhere else. If so does anyone have any other vets that they recommend other than Dr. Emerson that are in Florida?

Default Re: Possible odontoma

First, I would make an appointment with Dr. E for as soon as you can get in - at least you will have it. The problem is that it is not dome by many vets so it is hard to find anyone to help... I would search on veterinary dentists...if you find any doctors that see rabbits, they will likely have experience with tooth issues, too.

How do the top front teeth (her upper incisors) look? Are they the normal length?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Charley Chuckles (11-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    First, I would make an appointment with Dr. E for as soon as you can get in - at least you will have it. The problem is that it is not dome by many vets so it is hard to find anyone to help... I would search on veterinary dentists...if you find any doctors that see rabbits, they will likely have experience with tooth issues, too.

How do the top front teeth (her upper incisors) look? Are they the normal length?
    Her top teeth look normal and not blunt. I will call back tomorrow and tell them I will take the next available appointment. If anyone is close to Cape Coral, it would still take a lot of anxiety away if someone could look at her for me.

Quote Originally Posted by melobryan View Post
    Her top teeth look normal and not blunt. I will call back tomorrow and tell them I will take the next available appointment. If anyone is close to Cape Coral, it would still take a lot of anxiety away if someone could look at her for me.
    Is anyone in the area of Cape Coral that I could bring my squirrel by to look at her top teeth. The only dentist that could see her right away I didn't even look at her teeth. I have called and set up an appointment with Dr. Emerson but that is not until November 21st. I feel so hopeless right now. I am giving the antibiotics, I just need someone that is familiar with the teeth issues to look at her mouth. I will come to you.

The only way to determine if there is an odontoma is by an X-ray….you can’t tell by examining the teeth.

Here’s what I’d recommend. Make your appointment with Dr. Emerson for first available. Call Dr. Zellner at Avian and Animal Hospital at 727-877-1400. The office is in the Tampa area. She can take an X-ray and refers out to Dr. Emerson for surgery. She is very knowledgeable about squirrels. She will also send the X-rays to Dr. E for evaluation if you request that.

With this plan you’ll have the first available appointment for Dr. E to do surgery. I believe your squirrel would need to be on antibiotics prior to surgery anyway. Also tell Dr. Emerson’s office that you’d like to be put on the cancellation list. Tell Dr. Zellners office when you call what your plan is if they are odontomas.

There is another vet in Orlando that sees squirrels, but I don’t know if he would be as willing to work with you as Dr. Zellner is. I also am not sure he’s capable of doing the surgery and he’s expensive, I’ve been told.

I hope this helps.

I also have the names of a vet in Deland and West Lake Worth that might be able to look at your squirrel and do X-rays but I don’t know if they will work with you and send X-rays to Dr. E, but you could always ask. Send me a private message if you want their names.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Charley Chuckles (11-09-2022), Diggie's Friend (11-08-2022), melobryan (11-09-2022)

Also, I would like to point out that given that the squirrel still has her top front teeth*, this may be tooth related, but not odontoma, too. They have molars that can get broken and infected. They still need to come out, but THAT is a much, much simpler surgery and may be something you could have done earlier. Nobody knows the answers until some x-rays can be taken though.

*Odontomas are basically calcium growths that form in the jaw on the roots of the teeth. Normally, the visible teeth begin to disappear as they are worn down but not continuing to grow because the growth is being directed to the root end. It is often how people discover the problem.

Thank you so much for the replies, that eases some of my anxiety. I was able to get an appointment on Thursday for x-rays and check up with Dr. Zellner and November 21st with Dr. Emerson if needed. She is still eating and drinking good, but I know she isn't feeling good she isn't as active and today she just crawled in my shirt and went to sleep for a couple hours. I was able to get her to take her antibiotic and the meloxicam the other vet gave her for pain. I love her so much and it hurts my heart to know she is not feeling well. My life pretty much revolves around her, LOL.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to melobryan from:

Mel1959 (11-09-2022)

You've got great advice here👍

My Conker had/has odontomas in all 4 incisors. One was removed the others have been there for many years he's 12 now too old for surgery but does just fine.
    I'm not suggesting to overlook this just to let you know she should be just fine while you wait for appointments. I know how scary it is
    Prayers up for Miracle🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

Chirps (11-09-2022), Mel1959 (11-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    You've got great advice here👍

My Conker had/has odontomas in all 4 incisors. One was removed the others have been there for many years he's 12 now too old for surgery but does just fine.
    I'm not suggesting to overlook this just to let you know she should be just fine while you wait for appointments. I know how scary it is
    Prayers up for Miracle🙏
    Thank you, that makes me feel so much better, when I called Dr. Emerson the receptionist really scared me because she said that the 21st might not be soon enough if she has an odontoma and I was not having any luck finding a vet near me that saw squirrels. I am meticulous about her diet and she runs my life, LOL. I want to make sure she isn't in pain and has a happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    The only way to determine if there is an odontoma is by an X-ray….you can’t tell by examining the teeth.

Here’s what I’d recommend. Make your appointment with Dr. Emerson for first available. Call Dr. Zellner at Avian and Animal Hospital at 727-877-1400. The office is in the Tampa area. She can take an X-ray and refers out to Dr. Emerson for surgery. She is very knowledgeable about squirrels. She will also send the X-rays to Dr. E for evaluation if you request that.

With this plan you’ll have the first available appointment for Dr. E to do surgery. I believe your squirrel would need to be on antibiotics prior to surgery anyway. Also tell Dr. Emerson’s office that you’d like to be put on the cancellation list. Tell Dr. Zellners office when you call what your plan is if they are odontomas.

There is another vet in Orlando that sees squirrels, but I don’t know if he would be as willing to work with you as Dr. Zellner is. I also am not sure he’s capable of doing the surgery and he’s expensive, I’ve been told.

I hope this helps.

I also have the names of a vet in Deland and West Lake Worth that might be able to look at your squirrel and do X-rays but I don’t know if they will work with you and send X-rays to Dr. E, but you could always ask. Send me a private message if you want their names.
    Thank you! I did what you said and was able to get an appointment with Dr. Zellner on Thursday and the 21st with Dr. Emerson. I am so thankful for everyone here. You guys have helped me so much in the past and also this time.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to melobryan:

Mel1959 (11-10-2022), stepnstone (11-09-2022)

I am praying your appointment with Dr. Zellner is able to happen today. This hurricane has been pounding our butts all night and I know it’s affecting her area in Tampa, too. Please call her office prior to driving there to be sure she’s open and hasn’t lost power.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Charley Chuckles (11-10-2022)

I am praying your appointment with Dr. Zellner is able to happen today. This hurricane has been pounding our butts all night and I know it’s affecting her area in Tampa, too. Please call her office prior to driving there to be sure she’s open and hasn’t lost power.
    In my area it started around 4am and we are still getting gust 🌀

Most everything will be closed today I'm afraid😔
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Mel1959 (11-10-2022)

I was able to get in to see a vet in Deerfield Beach at Broward Avian and Exotic. Miracle does have odontomas on all her incisors and will need surgery. I still have the appointment with Dr. Emerson on the 21st. I really want to use her because I have heard so many great things about her and I don't know much about this vet. I was really hoping for a different outcome, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to get her to feeling better.

I agree with your thoughts. The vet at Broward Avian and Exotic, Dr. Kelleher, had a show on Nat Geo Wild (I think) for some years - I actually saw an odontoma surgery on a squirrel on one episode. It was a totally different procedure than what you will get from Dr. E. Make sure you send them all info and copies of x-rays before your visit.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Grinderhead (11-10-2022)

Dr. E is your very best option for surgery.

24. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Charley Chuckles (11-11-2022), Diggie's Friend (11-22-2022), Grinderhead (11-10-2022), stepnstone (11-10-2022)

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone of you. We had the appointment yesterday with Dr. Emerson I drove about five hours to get there and I ran into some traffic and it was a nightmare because we didn't get there at the time that they had asked me to. They were so wonderful and nice and weren't upset that we were late and very understanding. Miracle got the surgery and I was able to bring her back home last night we have to go back on Friday for a recheck and for them to take the stent out provided that it's OK. She is doing great taking her medicine like a champ and doesn't seem to be in any pain we never would've gotten this far if it wasn't for everyone here telling me where to go. I will never go to another vet with her doctor Emerson is amazing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to melobryan:

CritterMom (11-22-2022), Diggie's Friend (11-22-2022), Tashahaven (11-24-2022)