Thread: Little red coco front paw is cut

Default Little red coco front paw is cut

Name:  C5869093-805A-42D8-92F9-0078BC6CF582.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  76.5 KB

Coco was climbing on the outside of chippys cage today, of course it got Chippy(8 month old red) going on the inside and she bit her front paw.
    Coco was licking it a lot and the bleeding stopped after a half hour. She slept an hour and is now wandering around.

Should we put something on it to keep from infection, like peroxide or an ointment, or will her licking it be enough?

Name:  30DA98C8-060C-47B4-9EF7-87877DEC8A1B.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  91.6 KB

Default Re: Little red coco front paw is cut

We rinsed her paw with Luke warm tap water after it happened this morning. She doesn’t put it down at all now. Wondering at what point does she need to see a vet.

She will probably be fine. They are adorable little badasses.

I really good thing to keep on hand is Betadyne 10% povidone iodine (Walmart?) or store brand equal. Diluted at 1/4 teaspoon to 1/4 cup water it is an excellent way to clean and keep any nasty bacteria from settling in. And it doesn't sting at all.

I can see someone overwintering 2 little reds might have need for some of that (works great on YOU, too)!

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Spanky (11-21-2022), Stevelisa (11-21-2022)

That’s a relief to know … thank you

They can take infant ibuprophen for the pain, and with a weight for her, someone can dose for you. It is a two edged sword, though - the hurt will keep her from using the paw like it is not injured, which will happen if you take the pain away.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

stepnstone (11-21-2022), Stevelisa (11-22-2022)

Coco doesn't seem to be bothered with pain this morning, she slept all thru the night and is now doing backflip summersaults with a HHB in her mouth. She is even using the bad paw a bit now. Lisa had a close look at her paw and she has licked any dry blood off it, we can't see anything or swelling.

She’s doing a lot better now but I’m making the short trip tomorrow to NY side of border to get betadyne at Walgreens. It’s not sold here in Canada, ridiculous.

Yesterday coco got into another mishap… my fault… I forgot to take down one of those sticky farmer fly traps I had hung from the ceiling in September. I hear coco screeching while I’m on the phone, the poor girl was hanging upside down with just the tip of her tail stuck to the end of the fly trap. She must have jumped off the back of the chair to get that high and her tail stuck to it. I pulled her tail off it to get her down. She just kept trying to bite the glue off her tail driving her crazy. Fortunately the glue was only on the tip of her tail, I got the scissors and carefully cut off the fur beyond her tail end. Now she has a flat top haircut on the tail. She’s leaving it alone now.