Thread: Hello , it has been a long time.

Default Hello , it has been a long time.

Some mat remember us, we had butters and kazee. I was really hoping i would not need to ask advice again. We love these critters and hate the idea of them being hurt. But we were heading out yesterday and one of our cats was playing with a young squirrel. I am thinking she missed a jump or the wind blew her out of a tree. Had a little blood by her ear and her tail was skinned to the bone a little. So i took off my jacket,brought her in, warmed her up. She took water from a syringe. We had pumpkin n blueberries. Did not eat any. So while we were out running around we picked up puppy formula, sugar snaps and brussel sprouts and some crunchy critter treats. She has been taking water and formula like a champ. Still not eating. Even grabbed the syringe and took off with it. I think she is going to be ok. My issue is letting her go. It is really cold out and i am worried putting her out after being warm n toasty and feed that going out into the cold may have some ill effects on her. Not sure which direction she came from. We have 5000 acres of woods behind our house. There is no way we can keep her. But i do think she is healthy enough to be ok just not sure she will find her home. Not sure she was on her own.
    Name:  20221117_145714.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  136.8 KB
    Or if someone is near us we could meet some where and they could take her. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Default Re: Hello , it has been a long time.

Of course we remember you.
    Considering that a kitty had a hold of the squirrel she'll need to be on antibiotics.
    I'm not one to dose meds, but maybe you can check your medication and see if you have an antibiotic and the strength of it.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

CritterMom (11-18-2022), TubeDriver (11-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    Of course we remember you.
    Considering that a kitty had a hold of the squirrel she'll need to be on antibiotics.
    I'm not one to dose meds, but maybe you can check your medication and see if you have an antibiotic and the strength of it.
    We used povidone-iodine. I really do not think she has any punctures or scratches from the cat. She is doing fine. She moves and digs in the blankets. He had blood around her ear. We used q tips and saturated the area with povidone and she has since cleaned the area up and i see no wounds so that is why i think she fell. The winds have been strong and the owls and hawks are thick at times. Just checked the weather and it is just darn cold for a few days. I know they live in the cold usually with no problems, but to be taken from the warm n comfy indoors just to be put out in the freezing cold does not seem right.
    We had new neighbors move in down the road and they had a bird in a cage on the floor. Told them birds cannot handle cold and deastic temprature changes so i gave them our cage. I am just now getting around to re doing our bedroom from all the damage from butters and kazee. I did keep a piece of trim that was chewed up.
    I am calling it a her just by the way she acts. Not really sure trying not to handle her too much and she may just bite. She drinks water and formula fine from the syringe. I give one with water then one with formula. Have not seen her eat. She may have bit the pumpkin piece.
    Thought i may just take the tub n blankets out and put it on its side and keep checking to see if she leaves.

I still believe that an oral antibiotic is needed.
    Please don’t make any decisions until one of our experienced members comments on this.

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    I still believe that an oral antibiotic is needed.
    Please don’t make any decisions until one of our experienced members comments on this.
    She is getting more aggressive. She is clawing and nipping when trying to feed her now. She seems to be getting better and not worse. Gotta see if i have any new gloves, i have done enough bleeding feeding this little one.

Quote Originally Posted by grampyngramy View Post
    We used povidone-iodine. I really do not think she has any punctures or scratches from the cat.
    lukaslolamaus is correct, cat caught should be given an ab.
    Just because you do not see any punctures does not determine she wasn't, cat punctures are like that of a fine needle and they close up fast.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (11-20-2022), Tashahaven (11-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    lukaslolamaus is correct, cat caught should be given an ab.
    Just because you do not see any punctures does not determine she wasn't, cat punctures are like that of a fine needle and they close up fast.
    I have no way of getting any meds any more. When i was a plumber in louisville i did work for the biggest vet clinics there and could get meds. But so much has happened our son passed from cancer in 2019, i had cellulitus and had surgery, then i was forced to take SSDI. Plus other crap.
    But the little booger chewed a hole in the tub and was loose in the room. We finally caught her in a blanket. She was flying all over the room and i was afraid she was going to hurt herself. I took her out back a let her go. She took off like a bat out of hell. Said a few prayers for as she went. Bittersweet moment.

Hopefully she will be alright and and will not get an infection from the cat bite. Try to keep an eye out for her over the next week or so. Sorry to hear about your health issues and losing your son, that is something a father should never have to face.

Quote Originally Posted by grampyngramy View Post
    I have no way of getting any meds any more. When i was a plumber in louisville i did work for the biggest vet clinics there and could get meds. But so much has happened our son passed from cancer in 2019, i had cellulitus and had surgery, then i was forced to take SSDI. Plus other crap.
    But the little booger chewed a hole in the tub and was loose in the room. We finally caught her in a blanket. She was flying all over the room and i was afraid she was going to hurt herself. I took her out back a let her go. She took off like a bat out of hell. Said a few prayers for as she went. Bittersweet moment.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

lukaslolamaus (11-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Hopefully she will be alright and and will not get an infection from the cat bite. Try to keep an eye out for her over the next week or so. Sorry to hear about your health issues and losing your son, that is something a father should never have to face.
    Thanks. We have saved so many critters in the past few years. A couple of rabbits, which rabbits are hard to do much with. Usually put provodine on, try to give water, and let them rest for a bit then take them to the woods out front, a lot of rabbits down there. Usually the neighbors cats are the issue. The last one i was on the tractor and seen a cat playing with something, seen it was a rabbit, jumped off the tractor, chased the cat away. It took both hands and my shirt to hold it then i realized i had to walk all the way back to the house. In 2020 had to rescue a fawn. Gramy almost ran over it with the riding mower. That was an ordeal. Had to quit mowing get all the critters up. Told gramy to watch from the window to see if mom returns while i drive into town and get some supplies. Poor thing was in a shalow hole in the sun. Mom never showed did get her to drink water from a bottle. Left her there all day and into the night. Ended up driving 3 hours to a rehabber. That was after a day and 1/2 waiting in mom. Then our neighbors cat had 3 litters in our garage. 1st litter got rid of all except 1. 2 litter got rid of a few. 3rd litter no one wanted. Gramy said no to taking them to a shelter. Ever since our son passed we have to save everyone and everything. From spiders to butterflies to snakes to voles to mice and so on and so on. Then we had a fresh born kitten deposited in a box in the garage still had her sack attached and it was not from the black and hite batches. Then an older lady our daughter works with has some kind of crazy cancer. And her son is of no help. Our daughter took in her cat, then after a year says she does not get along with her dog and other cats, so we ended up with her. So we have 12,13 or 14 cats and 2 dogs. The husky and one cat is our sons.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to grampyngramy from:

lukaslolamaus (11-18-2022)