Thread: Boo Ball Recipe

Default Boo Ball Recipe

It was brought to our attention that our Boo Ball recipe (which came from TSB) has a reference to Baking Soda in one part and Baking Powder, in another. For the life of me, I can't find the recipe here anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction? Even searching Boo Balls isn't giving me the recipe. Doh! LOL!
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

Default Re: Boo Ball Recipe

I can only remember it saying to use aluminum free baking powder🤔
    I use to make them but like you I'm not sure where the recipe is.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...7&d=1446874273 found this, hope the link works🤔
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

*Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...7&d=1446874273 found this, hope the link works🤔
    Thank you!
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    It was brought to our attention that our Boo Ball recipe (which came from TSB) has a reference to Baking Soda in one part and Baking Powder, in another. For the life of me, I can't find the recipe here anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction? Even searching Boo Balls isn't giving me the recipe. Doh! LOL!
    Just noticed: are you looking for the boo balls recipe or is it the block recipe you’d like? Just asking ‘cuz I never saw baking soda or baking powder in any boo ball recipe I’ve ever seen on TSB. I’ve seen those ingredients used in block recipe - which is what the link gives you. Just sayin’
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

Mel1959 (02-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Hi DM:
    I believe this is what you were looking for. It was in a thread for Teklad:

10-17-2020, 10:56 AM CrazyCatLady

Default Re: Teklad
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    One more... where can I find a recipe for boo balls?

Boo balls
    Option 1: Uncooked

If your squirrel will not eat rodent block no matter the brand or* coating, try making Boo Balls.*

The Boo Ball recipe was originally posted on the Squirrel Board’s Nutrition Forum and was found
    to work well during weaning and for squirrels with teeth issues because of its soft texture.*

Ingredients

50 grams rodent block

50 grams powdered Fox Valley Day One Formula for Squirrels (either 32/40 or 20/50)

50 grams nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts.

20 grams "organic" coconut oil (melted until liquid)

1 jar (approximately 100 grams) of fruit baby food (such as apples or plums), organic preferred

The squirrel board recommends adding a probiotic (beneficial bacteria) such as 3 capsules of multidophilus*

If you are unable to find this, substitute 1 capsule of acidophilus.

In a food processor, grind rodent block until its the consistency of a fine powder.* Grind nuts as finely as possible without it becoming nut butter.* Heat coconut oil until its a liquid consistency.* Warming the baby food also helps it to mix.

Combine the powdered rodent block, Fox Valley formula, nuts and acidophilus. Mix the organic baby food fruit* and coconut oil in to your dry ingredients until well blended.

Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least* 5 hours or overnight until mixture is set (the consistency of cookie dough).*

Once you are ready to serve, take out about a 1/2 tsp (5 grams) of the mixture and roll is in your hands into a small ball.**

Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Recommendation: Vary the type of nut you use to keep the squirrel interested.

Amount: 3-4 balls or as much as will be consumed in a day.

Pros: Nutritionally complete.* Soft for young, old and squirrels with teeth issues. Probiotic

Helps with intestinal issues.

Cons: More time consuming and expensive to make. Have to buy some ingredients online,

Such as the Fox Valley DayOne Formula for Squirrels

Option 2: Cooked
    Some squirrels prefer a more crunchy texture in their boo ballsk. Follow the steps above (with the*

Exception of the pro-biotic, which you may sprinkle on after baking since heat kills the active cultures).

After letting the mixture set overnight, use a lightly greased rolling pin to roll the dough into a flat sheet 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick.* Bake 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.** Let cool for 10 minutes and use a pizza cutter or knife to cut into small squares. After completely cooled, sprinkle the multidophilus, acidophilus or other probiotic over the cookies if desired or place in bag and gently shake until each block is lightly coated.** Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks or place in the freezer for longer shelf life.

I believe if you search boo balls on TSB, you'll find some interesting variations.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

This is correct; I have this recipe in notes from years ago, before I even found TSB. It came from the Squirrel Refuge site , in 2014. My kids were not started out right, and refused (and still do) any brand or form of plain rodent block. Even Henry’s. So for years I’ve resorted to this recipe, (the baked version) and for the most part, all of them (except Victoria) will eat their block. I’ve used Harlan Global 2018 most recently. For V, she won’t hardly touch it unless it’s made with pure Henry’s as the base.

I use this same uncooked version, but never measure the amounts. I mix up a much larger quantity of the dry ingredients then divide it in half. I store one half in a container in the fridge and mix the other half with the wet ingredients. The only difference is I use a variety of baby foods and applesauce (cheaper than baby food) that include vegetables and also use both coconut oil and avocado oil. We fill a container with the rolled balls and feed them to our wilds every day before they get nuts. When our mixed supply is gone I add the liquid ingredients to my other container of dry ingredients. This way of doing it keeps me from having to grind the block and nuts as frequently.

I’ve never baked them, but I might try a small pan and see if the pickier ones will like them.

Just don’t leave them on the counter when you have Homechurch folks over….

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

lukaslolamaus (02-24-2022), Mel1959 (02-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I remember that story

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

Snicker Bar (02-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Bwahhhhhhhh 🤣
    That reminds me of a Tupperware party my mom gave when I was a teenager and I made some brownies 🙄oh well that's a WHOLE other story

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

lukaslolamaus (02-24-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (02-25-2022), Snicker Bar (02-25-2022)

So, I recently had to make my own squirrel block and I didn’t realize my baking powder isn’t the aluminum free kind. I only used one tsp of the stuff but it still bothers me. Can anyone explain what the danger of using the regular baking powder is? I’d rather not toss the whole batch but I also don’t want to cause my babies any problems, especially considering one is an older squirrel that came to me with signs of possible MBD (so he’s also on an increased calcium diet).

According to google:

The main difference between aluminum-free baking powder and regular baking powder is that aluminum-free baking powder contains no aluminum and reacts with liquid instead of heat. The reality is that regular baking powder (with aluminum) leaves a bitter, metallic taste.

It should be noted that Boo Balls don't use any leavening - the leavening is in the home made Henry's blocks. I have never made them. Do they bake at a really low temperature? If so, the aluminum free may be the only way that they actually rise because the temp may not be high enough to activate it.

Leigh at Henrys would know. You can PM her at 4skwerlz. I am pretty sure her notifications are on.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

mel_la_fee (05-04-2022)

Hey guys, any chance anyone knows if flax seed is ok to sprinkle on if too wet? someone mentioned porridge oats but found the cal-phos ratio to high (like coconut) but flax has no phos and good calcium? I see sesame seeds are good too though.

Another question, I have no multidophilus or acidophilus (as was uncertain of which kind to buy in whole foods as 3 types had diff ingredients) but I do have saccharomyces boulardii, fortiflora for pets and proviable DC? anyone know if these are ok to sprinkle on for gut health or if not can you post of pic of the multidophilus that you use.

Last question, sorry! Is it OK to sprinkle a tsp of reptile vitamins and calcium (without D3) in the mix as I know the rat food and formula already has this but with baking again I wouldn't want it to be cancelled out.

Ive tried to cut down the nuts addition a little so how many boo balls is OK per day? (as they would eat the whole batch if they could and are always hungry when I feed only 3-4 each)

Thx

Just wanted to add to the boo ball recipe post.

My guys don't like the stickiness and prefer them cooked so last week I just made them like the original recipe, (rat block, apple sauce, formula, chopped nuts, coconut and avocado oil etc) cooked them for an hour on 225' and they liked them but they were pretty hard and they would leave them until really hungry so today I quadrupled the recipe, added a tsp of non al bake powder, (pecans) an egg and baked them for 40 mins at 250' and they came out bread like, non sticky and not too hard. Huge hit
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My toothless neuro prefers semi-soft also . They come out kind of like soft baked brownies and when chilled, I can pinch and roll them into little pieces to hand feed her, while the others like the soft , cold squares. The difference for mine to be softer is I double the fruit portion. Everything else is 1 part (the block, formula, nuts) but my baby food is two parts. And also bake at lower temp (220).

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

KCullen (10-03-2023), Scooterzmom (11-18-2022)