Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Need some advice about an attic squirrel

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 4

    Default Need some advice about an attic squirrel

    Hello!

    I need some advice regarding a squirrel who made a home in my attic. Long story short it took me 3 weeks to catch him but I did... right as the freezing weather started. He cannot live in my attic, but it's cold outside and he had a good 30 pounds of walnuts stored up there. I have already removed 23.2 pounds of those walnuts.

    So now I have this squirrel who I can't in good conscience release into the cold. I was also gunna wait to release him after his entry point was repaired...which STILL HASNT HAPPENED. I'm in an HOA so that's a whole separate thing. Regardless, I don't know what to do with this little bugger. Do I house him over the winter, or can I release him when the hole is fixed....which could easily be a few more weeks given how long I've been on them about this.

    I considered looking up a rehabber who might have a better space for him to winter, but I'm afraid they're gunna yell at me or shame me for capturing a squirrel. Also almost every rehabber specifies orphaned or injured only. This squirrel could pass as injured, because his back right leg doesnt seem to work, it just kinda dangles there...i think something might be up with his tail too but he functions just fine and stored 30lbs. of walnuts by himself. Prior to capture, I'd see him trying to get to my bird feeder right along side the other squirrels. It took a while to notice why exactly his gait didn't look quite right.

    Im frantically searching for advice but nobody is talking about what to do about evicting an attic squirrel this close to winter. The most advice I've seen about it is "drive them out before its cold." ...welp...too late for that...so now what....

    The cage he's in now is too small for long term housing, I know that much, but do I need to overwinter him because its so close to winter? I'm not opposed to building an enclosure, but it would have to be placed in my garage (which has a long tall picture window) or up against my house on my little porch area as to not call the attention of the HOA (I can't have like, structures in my little yard). I just feel so bad watching him on the little camera I set up to monitor him. He just wants out and I'm like "dude, I can't let you out because you'll go into my attic and be either trapped or abruptly blocked out."

    Any advice on what to do here? I'm stuck...also it's an American red squirrel...no idea how old.

  2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dust_Remover from:

    MyBushyTail (11-17-2022)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The nut house
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Need some advice about an attic squirrel

    Im sure somone that knows the laws in your area better than me will probably hop on here but if not i definitely know that if you let him go before any entry point is fixed he will be right back in the attic in less than 5 mins looking for his stash . If no one more knowledgeable about your area answers id go ahead and contact a rehabber im sure somone has the number for a good one in your area that will take care of them on here . Anyhow good luck

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,675
    Thanked: 1324

    Default Re: Need some advice about an attic squirrel

    I believe here that most babies are at age to be on their own but was just wondering if yours could be a female with babies? Hopefully some others will be able to help you out with letting go or overwintering. Good luck and thank you for caring enough to be helping this squirrel.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rivendell
    Posts
    1,716
    Thanked: 2019

    Default Re: Need some advice about an attic squirrel

    Would it be so bad to just let it stay there, at least for the winter? Are there wires etc. that it could chew and cause a fire? I've had Eastern greys living in the roof over one part of my house for years. (Knock wood.)
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Need some advice about an attic squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Would it be so bad to just let it stay there, at least for the winter? Are there wires etc. that it could chew and cause a fire? I've had Eastern greys living in the roof over one part of my house for years. (Knock wood.)
    That was honestly my first thought and im deff still considering it, but the squirrel is doing major damage to the insulation and I can't really afford to have him doing his business up there for several months. Plus the HOA will be sealing his entry point so he's either going to be trapped inside the attic or out of it just before the bitter cold sets in. I'm not sure if he's chewing any wires, but I do know there was at least one wire near the area where he hangs out/stores the walnuts. ...The walnuts are also rotting and molding so they've got to come out too.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rivendell
    Posts
    1,716
    Thanked: 2019

    Default Re: Need some advice about an attic squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by Dust_Remover View Post
    That was honestly my first thought and im deff still considering it, but the squirrel is doing major damage to the insulation and I can't really afford to have him doing his business up there for several months. Plus the HOA will be sealing his entry point so he's either going to be trapped inside the attic or out of it just before the bitter cold sets in. I'm not sure if he's chewing any wires, but I do know there was at least one wire near the area where he hangs out/stores the walnuts. ...The walnuts are also rotting and molding so they've got to come out too.
    Ah, yes, definitely risky to let it stay there. Even if not, the HOA is involved now so must follow through.

    Re. the walnuts, it is mind boggling to me that they put so much effort into creating a stash that will be mostly useless and potentially hazardous to their health.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Need some advice about an attic squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by MyBushyTail View Post
    I believe here that most babies are at age to be on their own but was just wondering if yours could be a female with babies? Hopefully some others will be able to help you out with letting go or overwintering. Good luck and thank you for caring enough to be helping this squirrel.
    I didn't see any squirrel nipples, so I don't think this squirrel is a mom...i also really hope not because I would feel so bad about catching her.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •