Thread: 2 month old female squirrel seizures!

Exclamation 2 month old female squirrel seizures!

I’ve had a female squirrel since mid October. I work at a veterinary hospital and this sweet girl was unfortunately hand raised and is not releasable (she’s missing an ear from wandering up to a predator). She has been thriving in my house and I named her Wednesday! Maybe 2 months old? Yesterday she had 2 seizures out of nowhere. No diet changes. She eats a healthy mix of greens, veggies, select nuts/ seeds, rodent blocks and a bit of fruit. Seizure 1 lasted about 10-15 seconds. Second was a few hours later and was very quick. Maybe 6 seconds. She starts by shaking her hands, then crying out, bolting around confused. Poor girl just curls up on my lap after. Still eating well, interacting well. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything I can to be sure she is well taken care of this is my second squirrel, but I have never experienced this…
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: 2 month old female squirrel seizures!

Is this a recent picture of Wednesday (she is adorable)?

This *could* be a lingering TBI since her ear was ripped off by a predator, she may have had incurred other brain injuries in that encounter.

Nuts and seeds should be treats, like cotton candy to a toddler. I don't give any nuts or seeds until about 14 weeks and then only as they are preparing for release (in the release cage outdoors).

MBD can cause seizures, but that would be a result of improper formula as she was maturing. Many folks that work at my vet's office continue to talk about KMR and homemade concoctions despite my best efforts to change their thinking.

Is she still on formula.. and what formula precisely?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

This *could* be a lingering TBI since her ear was ripped off by a predator, she may have had incurred other brain injuries in that encounter.

Nuts and seeds should be treats, like cotton candy to a toddler. I don't give any nuts or seeds until about 14 weeks and then only as they are preparing for release (in the release cage outdoors).

MBD can cause seizures, but that would be a result of improper formula as she was maturing. Many folks that work at my vet's office continue to talk about KMR and homemade concoctions despite my best efforts to change their thinking.

This is a recent photo! She is the sweetest baby. Her ear was still healing when I brought her home and that does make sense that it would cause residual trauma. I just don’t know why it would be showing up as late as yesterday. Wednesday is not on formula any longer ad she began refusing it about 1 week after coming home with me. She was on the esbilac formula for a very short time. When we got her at the clinic, she was already eating solid food with a small mix of formula. She also does not eat majority of her rodent blocks.

OK, this IS starting to sound like it could be MBD. It is difficult when they come in after eyes are open - they are more fussy, they don't want to eat, etc., but 8 weeks is WAY too young to be off formula, and not getting what she also isn't from the rodent blocks, since she isn't eating, will exacerbate it.

You need to get supplemental calcium into her. You want a source that does not have vitamin D added - most human calcium supplements do because it is needed to metabolize the calcium, but the amount in human supplements is way too high for a squirrel. Your work likely has something; you can also use fruit flavored Tums (just the plain tablet type, not the chewies) for now. Given her age and size I would get about 300mg of calcium into her daily, broken up into multiple "doses" - not just one big dose.

Some stuff to get:

Any of the first three on this page - recommend the "Picky" and the "Hazelnut" flavors. They taste way, way better than other commercial blocks and 2-3 per day for an ADULT squirrel will provide all of the vitamins and minerals they need daily. https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

One of these: https://henryspets.com/calcium-carbo...eficiency-mbd/

and this: https://henryspets.com/fox-valley-da...aby-squirrels/

The formula is for slightly older babies and it is usually REALLY well liked. It sure smells better than the esbilac! It would be really good for this little one to be back on formula and this stuff might just tempt her. Heat it warmer than you think you should.

The formula powder should be stored in the FREEZER after opening, and the bag doesn't tell you to...

I would start getting some additional calcium into her TODAY. Have something ready so you can get it quickly when she seizes to address blood sugar - a drop or two of syrup, molasses, honey, etc., placed right in her mouth after she has a seizure will be taken up by the mucous membranes and will help her to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    OK, this IS starting to sound like it could be MBD. It is difficult when they come in after eyes are open - they are more fussy, they don't want to eat, etc., but 8 weeks is WAY too young to be off formula, and not getting what she also isn't from the rodent blocks, since she isn't eating, will exacerbate it.

You need to get supplemental calcium into her. You want a source that does not have vitamin D added - most human calcium supplements do because it is needed to metabolize the calcium, but the amount in human supplements is way too high for a squirrel. Your work likely has something; you can also use fruit flavored Tums (just the plain tablet type, not the chewies) for now. Given her age and size I would get about 300mg of calcium into her daily, broken up into multiple "doses" - not just one big dose.

Some stuff to get:

Any of the first three on this page - recommend the "Picky" and the "Hazelnut" flavors. They taste way, way better than other commercial blocks and 2-3 per day for an ADULT squirrel will provide all of the vitamins and minerals they need daily. https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

One of these: https://henryspets.com/calcium-carbo...eficiency-mbd/

and this: https://henryspets.com/fox-valley-da...aby-squirrels/

The formula is for slightly older babies and it is usually REALLY well liked. It sure smells better than the esbilac! It would be really good for this little one to be back on formula and this stuff might just tempt her. Heat it warmer than you think you should.

The formula powder should be stored in the FREEZER after opening, and the bag doesn't tell you to...

I would start getting some additional calcium into her TODAY. Have something ready so you can get it quickly when she seizes to address blood sugar - a drop or two of syrup, molasses, honey, etc., placed right in her mouth after she has a seizure will be taken up by the mucous membranes and will help her to recover.
    Already added all of your suggestions to my cart! It truly is difficult to tell how she was raised before we got her. Who knows if she was on formula or what kind! I go into work this afternoon and will see what I can get from there to make sure her diet is properly supplemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra0311 View Post
    Already added all of your suggestions to my cart! It truly is difficult to tell how she was raised before we got her. Who knows if she was on formula or what kind! I go into work this afternoon and will see what I can get from there to make sure her diet is properly supplemented.
    Back in the dawn of time when I joined this board, there was almost an "MBD season." Squirrels were adhering to a more rigid "spring/fall" baby season instead of all year round like it is now (climate change). So a few weeks to a month after the babies all weaned, we would start to have DOZENS of posts like yours. The babies weaned, and back then you had a choice of using either rat blocks which are not very tasty, or primate blocks which were really not a good match nutritionally and still not all that tasty. The babies would get off the formula which provided them with EVERYTHING they needed and not want their blocks so their humans would cave and give them nuts and then we would get the desperate, terrified posts. It was gut-wrenching.

Henry, for whom the company is named, was a real squirrel and he got MBD. His mama was a TSB member and the experience led her to creating her Healthy Blocks. Unlike the commercial food, it is a supplement as well as a food so you don't want to overfeed it - it is meant to be fed in conjunction with other healthy food. And most important, unlike commercial food, it was made to TASTE good so they would actually consume it. Most of us use it and also provide the hard rodent blocks like Teklad to just be in the cage available if anyone wants more chow.

The Henry's food also needs to be kept in the freezer - it has no preservatives. It also needs to be cleaned out of the cage and not stashed anywhere.

The Henry's food will provide quite a bit of calcium so you will be able to reduce the added calcium as she begins to eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Back in the dawn of time when I joined this board, there was almost an "MBD season." Squirrels were adhering to a more rigid "spring/fall" baby season instead of all year round like it is now (climate change). So a few weeks to a month after the babies all weaned, we would start to have DOZENS of posts like yours. The babies weaned, and back then you had a choice of using either rat blocks which are not very tasty, or primate blocks which were really not a good match nutritionally and still not all that tasty. The babies would get off the formula which provided them with EVERYTHING they needed and not want their blocks so their humans would cave and give them nuts and then we would get the desperate, terrified posts. It was gut-wrenching.

Henry, for whom the company is named, was a real squirrel and he got MBD. His mama was a TSB member and the experience led her to creating her Healthy Blocks. Unlike the commercial food, it is a supplement as well as a food so you don't want to overfeed it - it is meant to be fed in conjunction with other healthy food. And most important, unlike commercial food, it was made to TASTE good so they would actually consume it. Most of us use it and also provide the hard rodent blocks like Teklad to just be in the cage available if anyone wants more chow.

The Henry's food also needs to be kept in the freezer - it has no preservatives. It also needs to be cleaned out of the cage and not stashed anywhere.

The Henry's food will provide quite a bit of calcium so you will be able to reduce the added calcium as she begins to eat them.
    Wow! That makes total sense. I feel I may have fallen victim to caving on the seeds/ nuts. Though I do not give her many, I know she loves almonds and she would actually eat them. I just ordered Henry’s picky blocks and calcium additives. I am also going to the store now for honey and tums to get her started on care. I will also see if there’s anything at my job that could be a good supplement too. I can’t thank you all enough for your help and speedy responses! As someone who is experiencing this for the first time, it is very scary and I only want the best for my girl.

Obviously, there could be other issues here. The nice thing about the MBD treatment is that it isn't going to cause her any problems if it ISN'T what is happening here. There is no down side in trying and a big chance it IS the problem and you will be able to get her over the hump.

To figure out how many milligrams of calcium in the Tums (or cheaper store brand version), disregard what the front says! Flip to the back of the bottle and determine what they use as "serving size" (it may be 1 or 2 tablets) and then check to see how much "elemental calcium" is in that serving size. For example, mine say they are "1000 mg" but if you read the entire back of the bottle, you will see that those 1000mg pills have 400mg of calcium in them! The rest is flavoring and stuff to stick the pill together. You want to use the elemental calcium number for your daily calculations.

I want to thank you all again for your suggestions and help! I brought Wednesday in to the clinic yesterday. We drew a little blood to send off for calcium and phosphorus levels. I’ve started her on tums, which she does seem to enjoy. This hopefully helps while I wait for her picky blocks and calcium additive. I’m still worried about her, as since the first seizure, Wednesday has not been climbed like she did before and seems to be tired. I will be sure to keep everyone updated as we get more answers from her lab work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alexandra0311 from:

Chirps (11-17-2022)

Update! Wednesday is doing great! The doctors at my clinic have been so supportive and informative throughout this challenging time. Her blood work indeed showed low calcium levels.
    She has been supplemented with calcium powder from Henry’s and their picky blocks as well. She loves them! Wednesday went from sleeping all day and dragging herself along on her belly to trying to play and excited to see me again! I’m very careful with her climbing as I know her bones are brittle still, but she is showing that she is regaining strength and is wanting to climb (I supervise and make sure she’s safe from falling).
    Most importantly, no more seizures!

That is wonderful!! We need happy stories like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra0311 View Post
    Update! Wednesday is doing great! The doctors at my clinic have been so supportive and informative throughout this challenging time. Her blood work indeed showed low calcium levels.
    She has been supplemented with calcium powder from Henry’s and their picky blocks as well. She loves them! Wednesday went from sleeping all day and dragging herself along on her belly to trying to play and excited to see me again! I’m very careful with her climbing as I know her bones are brittle still, but she is showing that she is regaining strength and is wanting to climb (I supervise and make sure she’s safe from falling).
    Most importantly, no more seizures!
    Sorry I'm just seeing your thread. I have a seizure squirrel, she has major seizures however YES adding calcium is a lifesaver 👍 I daily give her extra calcium.
    Glad your Wednesday is doing better🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this