Thread: I thought she was a fox squirrel, but now I'm not so sure

Default I thought she was a fox squirrel, but now I'm not so sure

My Benny came to me several weeks back and I was sure that she was a fox squirrel. Her fur seemed really red! Now, her belly has begun to turn white and her cheeks have lightened up. Is she a fox or something else? Just curious! Also how on Earth do you prevent your pictures from turning sideways??

Name:  20221114_141206.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  113.6 KBName:  20221114_141101.jpg
Size:  115.9 KBName:  20221114_140630.jpg
Size:  118.3 KB

Default Re: I thought she was a fox squirrel, but now I'm not so sure

She is a beautiful little fox squirrel.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Diggie's Friend (11-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BobbleheadBabySquirrel View Post
    Also how on Earth do you prevent your pictures from turning sideways??
    This has always perplexed me too. After seeing your frustration I decided to investigate the issue.

I may or may not be right on this. But what I noticed was that this forum seems to paste all photos in a horizontal orientation. So if we take no photos in vertical format, we'll never have the sideways issue. I love to take vertical photos, but I'll just have to remember to do horizontal if I want to post it on TSB.

If I am wrong about this, somebody please let me know.

Your squirrels are adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post
    This has always perplexed me too. After seeing your frustration I decided to investigate the issue.

I may or may not be right on this. But what I noticed was that this forum seems to paste all photos in a horizontal orientation. So if we take no photos in vertical format, we'll never have the sideways issue. I love to take vertical photos, but I'll just have to remember to do horizontal if I want to post it on TSB.

I know of an adorable foxer that had a cream belly 👍😁

Ok I find with pics if I go and edit them just a bit like 'cropping' a little they show upright 🤷
    Then again I use my phone most of the time so it's not an issue to turn my phone, a little harder with a lap top 😅
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Years ago I studied mammalogy journals on the colorations of the various subspecies of the Eastern Fox Squirrel, collecting many photos. According to the mammologist who had studied the then 10 subspecies, one of these ten then noted ssp., (Sciurus n. vulpinus), through more advanced means of genetic testing, was not found to be a distinct subspecies of the E. Fox squirrel, but a cross between Delmarva Fox Squirrel (Sicurus n. cinereus) in English: 'Ashen Fox Squirrel'. and/or the Southern Fox squirrel ssp. (Sciurus n. niger) with that of the Midwestern Fox Squirrel ssp. (Sciurus n. rufiventer) in English, 'Rusty Fox Squirrel'. The cause cited was from, "gene flow" between the Eastern subspecies group and that of the western ssp. group of the Eastern Fox squirrel species.

In the Midwest the remnant of the coloration left from the genetic flow from the east is moreover limited to just the cream white venter, unlike that in the region just east of the territory for the larger E. Fox Squirrel ssp. of Delmarva, and the Southern Fox squirrel that share the white ear and finger tips markings along with the white blaze and black mask of that of the Southern Fox Squirrel, and even the white venter, but not the gray upper coat of the Eastern ssp. group, then a bit further west you may find the same save the venter is golden. In the upper Midwest in the region of the Ohio valley into South Dakota, Fox squirrels have the nominal coat of the Midwestern ssp., yet some sport the cream white venter. We had a few of a few these at one time in our yard.

From western PA. and West West VA. ,fox squirrels that inhabit regions closer to the East Coast group are closer in appearance to that of the Eastern Group, and those closer to the mid-western group likewise. Some here may recall a squirrel named, "Squarlet" ; who was a one such cross found in the region between the eastern and western E. Fox squirrel groups. In San Francisco at Berkley, some of the squirrels also have cream white venters. (photos 2 & 3). Photo 4 was from South Dakota. Photo 5 from western West VA, or West PA. known as (Sciurus n. vulpinus) the cross Fox squirrel. Their dorsal coloration is known as, 'agouti', a grayed beige, made of of more than one color of hair. This, not to be confused with the S.A. rodent, 'agouti', that has no tail.

Beyond the white venter, for ID of the E. Fox Squirrel, look at the paw knuckles, both front and hind, as they are bent not flat when at rest as that of E. Grays's.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Lighten-Up (11-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post

Well I guess I was wrong on my assumption, because I have now seen vertical photos on this forum that post properly.

So I'm back to having no idea how to get photos to post in the proper orientation.