Thread: mold

Question mold

What can i do about the mold on my squirrel boxes i made for them in their outside enclosure. I live in the south where it stay wet and humid. My whole outside enclosure is molded and now my squirrels that use to come back every evening don't. They have their own little entrance on top where they can come and go as they please but now I'm worried the mold is just trying to take over.

Default Re: mold

What color is the mold? Just curious.

I have had a black colored mold that I find growing on my boxes that are made of pine wood. I've also wondered what to do about it.

Obviously I scrub it with hydrogen peroxide and put it in the sun to bake off when I'm able to. But when squirrels are living in them I am not going to do that and I have wondered if it is harmful as it certainly can't be good. I have a very shady/moist yard which is why I feel I get the mold. I'm wondering if I need to make nest boxes out of wire that breathes better? I'm interested to see what kind of answers you get.

I hate to tell you, but the ONLY way to get rid of the mold is to remove and discard everything that is molded, which sounds like the whole cage. The wire can be cleaned and re-used, but anything made of wood or other organic material is toast, and you need to mask up to do it - your squirrels are right - it is very dangerous to inhale.

You will need to get creative with a replacement release cage. Remember, you don't want to use wood for the construction - you can add pieces inside that can be easily detached and discarded. That leaves either aluminum poles like fencing and dog runs are made of, or you can also look into what synthetic decking is made of to make sure it isn't toxic and try that. It looks like wood and works like wood - screw together, cut with saw, etc. I am talking about stuff like Trex.

You may want to see if you can relocate it - it sounds like it may be really surrounded by brush and vegetation that prevents air flow. That is great for the squirrels but bad for the cage...

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (11-13-2022), Lighten-Up (11-13-2022)

Thanks CritterMom,

So the folks who use and sell wooden nest boxes, live in less humid environments? Sounds like if we are getting mold, we're going to get it again so long as we use wood.

Well, deep south US is pretty insane as far as humidity in the summer is concerned (lived in So. FL from 8 mos to 27 yrs). In some places, I would imagine that if you had a watertight roof on the cage and good air flow you could get some time from a nest box, but other than that I imagine it happens a lot and is the reason boxes get deserted all of a sudden. Most of them are made of inexpensive pine or plywood which is very porous. A tight grained hardwood would likely last for a bit but a black walnut nestbox would be VERY PRICEY!!!

A wood that you might try which you could likely get without too much trouble given your location is Cypress. It is naturally mold and mildew resistant. HOW reisitant I am not sure...

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Lighten-Up (11-13-2022)

Deep south just got cold I'm freezing it's in the 60s 🥶
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Deep south just got cold I'm freezing it's in the 60s 🥶
    Just Right!!!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Grinderhead from:

Charley Chuckles (11-14-2022)