Thread: Help! Advice needed on release.

Default Help! Advice needed on release.

Hi All,

I have a different kind of situation that I'm needing help with. I've never had this happen before.

Bubs was a late fall orphaned baby last year, so I had to overwinter him, along with several others. When Spring came, I opened the release door to free them... the others went, but Bubs didn't. I was brought an older female shortly after, that just needed some recoup time and to be fattened up a little, so I put her in with Bubs and closed the release door. After she had recovered, I opened the release door and neither one would leave initially. During their time together, it's like they fell in love with each other. They sleep together, play together... he loves all over her. She eventually went out, but she comes back in almost every night. He's started to venture out, but he ends up going back into the enclosure multiple times a day and always goes back at night. If she skips a night coming back, it seems like it's unsettling for him and he looks all around the enclosure for her. When she does come back, he starts loving all on her... nuzzling her... nibbling her, and she seems like she's just as happy to see him. I've never had any that have seemed so in love with each other. I'm afraid that Bubs wouldn't make it long term out in the wild as he doesn't seem to be very skilled at being a squirrel outside of the enclosure. He spends a lot of time on the ground, and doesn't seem as agile Charley. I've overwintered plenty of babies, and they've all always done really well at release... some of them have come back maybe a couple of nights, but then they go off and live their best life.

My dilemma is that I have new babies that need to go into pre-release, so I need the enclosure, but I don't want to kick Bubs and Charley out if that's where they feel safe.

Any advice on what I might should do? If I had the money and space to build more enclosures I would surely do that. Bubs and Charley just seem so bonded... I hate to separate them in any kind of way. Charley seems to really like her freedom when she wants it, but Bubs seems much more reserved and unsure. I've just never had this situation come up before. I've never had any that wanted to stay long term in their enclosure, lol!

Default Re: Help! Advice needed on release.

That's a sweet, fun, and perplexing story.

I had a similar story unfold. I had a single male in a release cage for almost 2 months. That's only because I don't have a great place to keep them in the house when they get mobile. So I just use a very large release cage to basically raise them in until release. To me it's a win win because they are outside in nature taking in all the details and they have a large area to climb and run constantly. While my male was in the release cage, a very young baby girl (orphaned? and about the same age as him), came everyday to spend time outside the release cage. So I called her Girlfriend. And I gave her nuts to support her since she was so young.

Once I released the male, they were friends and did everything together. He invited her in to the release cage and they both used the nest box in there. During the summer they made another nest, but they went back and forth, and in the winter they stayed in the release cage as their home.

So then I raised 3 more babies.....same issue as you have, my year old or so release whom I love dearly is still using the RC, with a friend. I sweated and worried, and pondered what to do. When push came to shove, and I had to get the new batch outside, I built another RC.

I don't know what to tell you to do, you might have to let your heart guide you, what course of action will give you the most inner peace?

Is there anyway you can build onto what you have? Make Bubs just a little smaller and add on more? That may not even be a good idea. Think outside the box, line up all your options and then go with one. This must have happened for a reason, try to figure out what else you are to learn/experience etc. from this.

I wish you all the best. I understand your issues.

After my post I had a few other thoughts that may give you other angles to think through. You can know that I pondered this issue for quite a while.

My male release did not seem as attached to the RC as yours. He was acting for the most part like a totally released squirrel, but he favored using the RC especially in inclement weather. To be honest, many wilds also try to get in, I guess it is the Hilton of the neighborhood. I had such a problem with the first squirrels I ever released, they were soon kicked out and wilds moved in. So with the new male single I am talking about, I created a maze to get in the portal, so the wilds would not kick him out until he was ready. It took him a week to learn how to get back in, then he taught girlfriend. Wilds did eventually learn by watching, but it took them a very long time. Anyway....

The reason that ultimately made me decide to build another release cage, was this: squirrels are territorial, and my release had claimed this part of the yard. If I kicked him out, and I put the new babies in, they would then be being released into the territory of a year older squirrel.

So I built another RC in a different territory zone. So they would grow up having a slightly different home base. It was somewhat ridiculous to build a second RC, but it solved my heart dilemma.

For what you have said, all your other squirrels have used the RC as a portal to a new life, and left the area, so you could just keep using your RC as a halfway house of sorts. But now, you have one who has stayed and claimed territory and preference.

Are you attached to your new set? Could you give them to someone to release at another site who has room? That would be one way to solve your issue.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! It's definitely a pickle, lol! Your story is so sweet too. I just love all of their little individual personalities!

My heart tells me to just build another RC. I had thought about building on to the one we have so it would be a little cheaper seeing as how I would only have to build 3 sides. But, I see your point about territory. I always get attached to every group, haha! I'm especially attached to Bubs though. He was in a bad way when I got him and took a lot of extra care. There's one in particular in the new group that I'm pretty close to also, because he was the same as Bubs when he came in. I had thought about trying to find someone else that could house my new group and release when they're ready. I would be ok with that... I know they are ready to be in a bigger enclosure to be able to run around more. I feel like I need to quit dragging my feet on it because I'm running out of time to get the littles acclimated to the outdoors. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I will come to a solution!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Love4LittleSquirrels from:

Lighten-Up (11-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Love4LittleSquirrels View Post
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! It's definitely a pickle, lol! Your story is so sweet too. I just love all of their little individual personalities!

My heart tells me to just build another RC. I had thought about building on to the one we have so it would be a little cheaper seeing as how I would only have to build 3 sides. But, I see your point about territory. I always get attached to every group, haha! I'm especially attached to Bubs though. He was in a bad way when I got him and took a lot of extra care. There's one in particular in the new group that I'm pretty close to also, because he was the same as Bubs when he came in. I had thought about trying to find someone else that could house my new group and release when they're ready. I would be ok with that... I know they are ready to be in a bigger enclosure to be able to run around more. I feel like I need to quit dragging my feet on it because I'm running out of time to get the littles acclimated to the outdoors. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I will come to a solution!
    I just can’t believe this. The most horrific thing happened this morning. Charley climbed an electrical pole and was electrocuted and killed. I feel so traumatized because I saw her fall when I heard that sound. I can’t quit crying… I managed to get Bubs back in the enclosure and closed him up. He looked in every hammock and hidey box for her. I am devastated…

😭😭😭
    Oh I'm just broken hearted with you💔
    We never know how releases will go we always pray they work out but it doesn't always happen that way☹️
    I'm so sorry
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

I just can’t believe this. The most horrific thing happened this morning. Charley climbed an electrical pole and was electrocuted and killed. I feel so traumatized because I saw her fall when I heard that sound. I can’t quit crying… I managed to get Bubs back in the enclosure and closed him up. He looked in every hammock and hidey box for her. I am devastated…
    I'm so sorry... Big HUG.....I know your pain and anguish. I've lived it.

Would you consider letting Bubs see Charley. So he has some closure? I don't know if squirrels need this. But I can't see why they don't. They have relationships, they love, they suffer loss too.

I once watched a 6 month old wild baby of a release, it must have had some accident that I did not see, and it went neuro and died right in front of me as I watched it desperately wanting to help it, knowing who it was. I took the baby for a few hours trying to figure out what to do with it in my grief. Then when all the squirrels came out at feeding time, I decided to put the dead baby in the central area. I know this is morbid. But the mom came, sniffed it, watched it for a while, all the while I was a mess inside watching this. Then when the mom went away, I took the baby. I wanted the mom to know what happened. I just wonder if something like that would help Bubs so he doesn't look endlessly for Charley....

Again, there are no words that can really comfort in times like this. Just know you are not alone in this moment.

Thank you… I’m just a mess. I had just been out there and she took some nuts from me. Her and Bubs played around together in the backyard for awhile, then she went venturing. My husband has already buried her for me. I was just too distraught. The sad thing is that Bubs saw it happen. He was in a tree near the pole and he ran around crazy in that tree, like he knew what he had just witnessed. I’m still in a bit of disbelief… and sick to my stomach as well. I went ahead and moved the other group in with him in the RC. I could not bear him being out there alone. He’s not being aggressive to the newbies (unless they get too close to HIS box)… more curious than anything. Hopefully that will keep him occupied so he won’t be looking for Charley. This is just SO hard! 😭

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Love4LittleSquirrels from:

Lighten-Up (11-14-2022)

That is absolutely heartbreaking! I am so sorry you are going through this. I can’t imagine how traumatic, it was to witness this happen. I am genuinely sorry for your overwhelming loss. Based on your detailed post, it is undeniable how much you loved and cared for him! I know he KNEW that! Thanks to your support, and love, he had an amazing life (short as it was). I know no words can change the grief you are feeling, but you made a big difference and helped him be so happy. It doesn’t make it hurt any less, but im grateful it was basically painless, and very quick.

My heart goes out to you and the hurt and loss you are feeling.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

Lighten-Up (11-14-2022)

Thank you… I’m just a mess. I had just been out there and she took some nuts from me. Her and Bubs played around together in the backyard for awhile, then she went venturing. My husband has already buried her for me. I was just too distraught. The sad thing is that Bubs saw it happen. He was in a tree near the pole and he ran around crazy in that tree, like he knew what he had just witnessed. I’m still in a bit of disbelief… and sick to my stomach as well. I went ahead and moved the other group in with him in the RC. I could not bear him being out there alone. He’s not being aggressive to the newbies (unless they get too close to HIS box)… more curious than anything. Hopefully that will keep him occupied so he won’t be looking for Charley. This is just SO hard! 😭
    I'm sure it's fine that you buried her right away. Those were just my thoughts from my experience. These things are so very hard.

Please know that you are very brave to love free, wild, creatures, that also can have relatively short lifespans.

We chose to pour our hearts and time into loving something that is free and and wild and that we can't control or keep safe all the time. Not everyone does this, it’s not easy. And when something like this happens, it can take a huge toll on our heart and mind and soul.

To me, a big part of what I love about loving the wild squirrels is that they are truly wild and free, unlike domestic pets that live in our houses. And that gives them an extra magical feel. And this is the other side of that, as we can’t keep them safe and pampered like domestic pets.

I’ve had so many wild losses lately I’ve had to decide can I take this? Would I rather just have domestic animals that stay around much longer? I’ve decided I love the wild ones, and so I will learn to handle this type of thing. It’s the other side of the magical coin which I adore; so therefore I will learn to be ok with both in time as I learn to process my heart in all these kinds of things. I'm not saying I'm totally there yet, it's a process. I'm just a fellow traveler on the journey to learning to love and live the ways of the wild ones.

Please be kind to yourself and know how brave you really are.

I hope something in that helps. The last thing I want to do is cause you one more ounce of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post
    I'm sure it's fine that you buried her right away. Those were just my thoughts from my experience. These things are so very hard.

Please know that you are very brave to love free, wild, creatures, that also can have relatively short lifespans.

We chose to pour our hearts and time into loving something that is free and and wild and that we can't control or keep safe all the time. Not everyone does this, it’s not easy. And when something like this happens, it can take a huge toll on our heart and mind and soul.

To me, a big part of what I love about loving the wild squirrels is that they are truly wild and free, unlike domestic pets that live in our houses. And that gives them an extra magical feel. And this is the other side of that, as we can’t keep them safe and pampered like domestic pets.

I’ve had so many wild losses lately I’ve had to decide can I take this? Would I rather just have domestic animals that stay around much longer? I’ve decided I love the wild ones, and so I will learn to handle this type of thing. It’s the other side of the magical coin which I adore; so therefore I will learn to be ok with both in time as I learn to process my heart in all these kinds of things. I'm not saying I'm totally there yet, it's a process. I'm just a fellow traveler on the journey to learning to love and live the ways of the wild ones.

Please be kind to yourself and know how brave you really are.

I hope something in that helps. The last thing I want to do is cause you one more ounce of hurt.
    Thank you so much. Bubs is doing ok, so that is my one main concern. I found a wonderful, safe place to release him and the others, so that’s a huge weight off my shoulders. I cry every night for Charley… I still can’t believe this happened. My heart aches for her and sometimes I wonder how much I can really take. Wildlife rehab is not for the faint of heart. I have rescued animals since I was a very young child. I was just born to love and care for them I think… as much as I want to protect myself and my feelings from pain, I realize that I was meant to be a shepherd for them. I so appreciate your kind words, and I empathize with you as well. Hearts like ours can only be understood by those with the same. <3

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Love4LittleSquirrels from:

Lighten-Up (11-19-2022)