Thread: Vet needed- Las Vegas / Navada

Default Vet needed- Las Vegas / Navada

Would anyone happen to know a Vet that sees squirrels in Las Vegas area?
    My little guy who is 7, seems to maybe have an eye infection (which I initially thought) or possible a dental issue. His right eye has got a little pinkish and also watery at times. red, around the eye, and he does not have his usual appetite.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Vet needed.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithB1572 View Post
    Would anyone happen to know a Vet that sees squirrels in Las Vegas area?
    My little guy who is 7, seems to maybe have an eye infection (which I initially thought) or possible a dental issue. His right eye has got a little pinkish and also watery at times. red, around the eye, and he does not have his usual appetite.
    Thanks
    Hi KeithB:
    I'm sorry that you have not yet had a response. I would suggest putting you post in the Non-life Threatening Section for probably better exposure. I do not know of a Vet in the Las Vegas area. Hopefully others will know of one. Ideally, an eye condition should be evaluated by a Veterinary Ophthalmologist ( a veterinarian specializing in eye conditions and diseases. It may be that your Squirrel has inadvertently scratched his eye which is not at all uncommon. It appear thought that he has lost some hair around the eyelids which may suggest exposure to an irritant or an allergic reaction or even a skin infection involving the eyelids. Do you have any antibiotic eye drops or can get some from a friend or relative and if so, what do you have available?

My post will bump your thread but again, I would recommend asking an admin to transfer your thread to Non-life Threatening or since relatively so much time has already passed since you made made you initial post without a response; just post again in that section and an Admin can delete your thread from Rehab Information Section.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Default Re: Vet needed- Las Vegas / Navada

Moving to Life- threatening.
    I personally see this condition worsening, with continuation I believe it will become LT.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-09-2022)

Default Re: Vet needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi KeithB:
    I'm sorry that you have not yet had a response. I would suggest putting you post in the Non-life Threatening Section for probably better exposure. I do not know of a Vet in the Las Vegas area. Hopefully others will know of one. Ideally, an eye condition should be evaluated by a Veterinary Ophthalmologist ( a veterinarian specializing in eye conditions and diseases. It may be that your Squirrel has inadvertently scratched his eye which is not at all uncommon. It appear thought that he has lost some hair around the eyelids which may suggest exposure to an irritant or an allergic reaction or even a skin infection involving the eyelids. Do you have any antibiotic eye drops or can get some from a friend or relative and if so, what do you have available?

My post will bump your thread but again, I would recommend asking an admin to transfer your thread to Non-life Threatening or since relatively so much time has already passed since you made made you initial post without a response; just post again in that section and an Admin can delete your thread from Rehab Information Section.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Thanks Sam for the response. I have been applying a little Terramycin around the eye. Gentleman at Henrys Pets told me about that. I took a good look at Nutty today. His right bottom tooth seems longer than the other. Not by too much but enough that I think it's pushing up a little into his gums. After reading through many many posts the last 2 days, some have said that could be causing the eye infection as well. Or maybe they are unrelated. I found a vet here that will see him but as of now cant get him in until Monday. He has not been eating his blocks. I have some blocks soaking in Apple juice now, saw that in another post. I need was thinking of trying to trim his tooth myself. I do have the Klein cutters someone recommended in another post. I piocked up some child motrin and also some child benadryl. Trying to find a post about dosage. He lets me open his mouth to look at his teeth but not for long. He does enjoy a warm cloth on his eye though. He is eating soft things like avocado and a little watermelon which has always been a favorite. Apple sauce and a little baby food. Anything soft he will eat. I'm going to try and see if he will eat some formula mixed with apple sauce just to get some more food in him. I have been giving him some calcium mixed with some peanut butter, . If anyone has some suggestions my number is 781-799-5335 Thanks you all so much in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Moving to Life- threatening.
    I personally see this condition worsening, with continuation I believe it will become LT.
    Thank You.
    Im trying everything I can do. Vet can see him but not til monday unless they have a cancelation before then.
    He is 7 now and has lived the best life I could give him Never been any health issues. I moved to Nevada about 5 years ago from Boston and of course he came with me. He has definitely lived a good life so far. Spoiled as heck, as I'm sure all squirrels in these posts are.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...toma-infection!

I just found this post. This seems exactly what's going on with my little guy. Not so much discharge from the nose but a tiny bit.
    I have some baytril antibiotic I had for my dog not sure if I can use that on the little guy. If anyone knows of another antibiotic I can use I will try and get it asap. Im going to blend some food for him and try and syringe feed him...
    I picked up some infants Ibuprofin but need help with dosing , I read others have used that with success to help maybe relieve some discomfort he may be in .
    thanks again all.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithB1572 View Post
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...toma-infection!

I just found this post. This seems exactly what's going on with my little guy. Not so much discharge from the nose but a tiny bit.
    I have some baytril antibiotic I had for my dog not sure if I can use that on the little guy. If anyone knows of another antibiotic I can use I will try and get it asap. Im going to blend some food for him and try and syringe feed him...
    I picked up some infants Ibuprofin but need help with dosing , I read others have used that with success to help maybe relieve some discomfort he may be in .
    thanks again all.
    Hello again KeithB:
    Sorry about Nutty's issues! Did the hair loss around the eyelids begin after you started the Terramycin? If so, this may be a skin reaction to the Terramycin and it may be best in that case to stop that medication. If there is a scratch on the eye or corneal ulcer, eye drops in the fluoroquinolone family of medications would be more appropriate. Ofloxacin is commonly prescribed to humans (and animals) and this may be available from from someone you know or even be in your "medicine chest." While Baytril can certainly be used, if this is all you have available; my suggestion a potential dental, oral or skin infection of the head would be the combination antibiotic, Amoxicillin/clavulanate. Clavamox is a veterinary brand of this antibiotic and Augmentin is a human medicine brand. There is also generic Amoxicillin/clavulanate available. This antibiotic would in most cases provide excellent coverage for the likely bacteria causing an infection in this area of the body. Augmentin or generic Amoxicillin/Clavulanate is also a very commonly prescribed antibiotic for both animals and people and hopefully you could find this.

Dosing of medication on TSB must be sent by Private Message and must be from one of the Admins or other authorized Members of TSB.

Please obtain an accurate weight of Nutty preferably with a digital gram scale.

You are doing the right thing with giving Nutty some softened food (quality rodent blocks I hope) and if he will take that, it should provide adequate nutrition. You can grind this up and mix it with water, formula or baby food and make it as soft as he requires. Formula is also an option if Nutty is not eating the softened blocks or as a supplement. I would like to suggest the Powdered form of Esbilac Puppy formula or Fox Valley 20/50. Also, the formula will help keep Nutty hydrated. He should also have an "always-available" source of plain water or regular offerings of water via syringe+nipple if he is not drinking on his own.

I'm glad that you found a Vet who will see Nutty but I wish it could be sooner than Monday! Maybe it would be worth calling them again tomorrow and plead Nutty's case and at least let them know this is getting worrisome and you sure would like them to call you if any appointment becomes available before Monday or if they could somehow just "work him in!"
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I was able to get a few pics this morning. His eye is still puffy Looking like his teeth are to long , maybe someone can help. I took the pick with one hand as I don't have a helper at the moment . Ao I pulled down the front bottom lip so they may look even bigger than they are from the pic. But his right bottom tooth is definitely a little bigger than his other. Sadly I'm hoping this is the issue , as I have read in some.othwr posts if it is and maybe just an infection than maybe after a tooth trim and some medicine he will be on his way to recovery. I did give him some Motrin this morning. Thanks Spanky for the help. how often is it ok or how often should I be giving him some.to.hopefully ease is troubles.

I am noticing he has no fur, or very little, on his fingers in the recent pics but furred in the retro pics. I am wondering if this may be more of a systemic issue?

Have there been changes in the laundry detergent you use or anything else that may be causing a reaction?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-10-2022)

seoninet Guest

Default blog9t.blogspot.com SEO 2023

SEO 2023
    blog9t

seoninet Guest

SEO 2023
    blog9t

seoninet Guest