Thread: 5 week southern flying questions

Default 5 week southern flying questions

Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions about southern flying squirrels that I am hoping experienced members can answer for me. I know there's a lot of guides out there but I just want to make sure I'm understanding the things I'm reading and that my information is not out of date or outright inaccurate/misunderstood by me.

How long would a flying squirrel stay in a nursing box? Once they are transitioned into a wire cage do they need an external heat source? House is usually 65-70F this time of year. Nursing box is a non-auto shut off heating pad under 1/2, with fleece and a tshirt

I have Esbilac Puppy Milk replacer and Fox Valley 20/50 for food. I think both are OK? I also know there is a place near me that sells Esbilac Goat formula too if I need it.

I ordered the HHB as it seems this is a popular first solid food? At what age can I start introducing it? At what age do I introduce some kind of water and is a very shallow dish (I know they can drown easily) or a hanging bottle preferred at first?

Default Re: 5 week southern flying questions

I’m not sure I understand all of your questions……but I’ll try.

Formula is fed until they no longer want it. They determine when they wean, but it’s usually around 8-10 weeks old. Some will continue to drink formula from a shallow dish even when they are much older. My guy is about 3yo and I give it to him occasionally. I use the lid from a baby food jar. Yes, both your formulas are acceptable.

Heat is recommended until they routinely move off of it. They can dehydrate while on heat so offer rehydration occasionally.

In the wild they will begin to explore outside of the nest at approximately 6 weeks old. I would think that around 7 weeks you could consider moving them to a cage. For long term housing the bigger the cage the better so they can have an opportunity to glide. Out of cage time would accomplish the same thing.

With grays we introduce the block once their eyes are open. I’ve only raised one flyer and I can’t remember when I introduced it, but I’d guess around 5-6 weeks. Cut the block in half until you see him eating it well. It’ll be less wasteful. Provide water when you provide solid food. I use a small water bottle but others like to provide both a bottle and a shallow dish. Put some clean marbles or rocks in the dish so it’s easier for them to drink from it.

Here’s the link for a healthy diet for flyers. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ying-Squirrels

And here’s a picture of some types of wild foods they eat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks,

How much should I feed each feeding? I found some answers for gray squirrels but flying squirrel is much smaller so I don't want to overdo it. To test for hydration, I have read you can pinch skin on back of squirrels and see if it takes a long time to go back (I guess more than 3 seconds or so means dehydrated?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m not sure I understand all of your questions……but I’ll try.

Formula is fed until they no longer want it. They determine when they wean, but it’s usually around 8-10 weeks old. Some will continue to drink formula from a shallow dish even when they are much older. My guy is about 3yo and I give it to him occasionally. I use the lid from a baby food jar. Yes, both your formulas are acceptable.

Heat is recommended until they routinely move off of it. They can dehydrate while on heat so offer rehydration occasionally.

In the wild they will begin to explore outside of the nest at approximately 6 weeks old. I would think that around 7 weeks you could consider moving them to a cage. For long term housing the bigger the cage the better so they can have an opportunity to glide. Out of cage time would accomplish the same thing.

With grays we introduce the block once their eyes are open. I’ve only raised one flyer and I can’t remember when I introduced it, but I’d guess around 5-6 weeks. Cut the block in half until you see him eating it well. It’ll be less wasteful. Provide water when you provide solid food. I use a small water bottle but others like to provide both a bottle and a shallow dish. Put some clean marbles or rocks in the dish so it’s easier for them to drink from it.

Here’s the link for a healthy diet for flyers. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ying-Squirrels

And here’s a picture of some types of wild foods they eat.

Quote Originally Posted by lovesquirrels1 View Post
    Thanks,

How much should I feed each feeding? I found some answers for gray squirrels but flying squirrel is much smaller so I don't want to overdo it. To test for hydration, I have read you can pinch skin on back of squirrels and see if it takes a long time to go back (I guess more than 3 seconds or so means dehydrated?)

Formula feeding for both greys and flyers is 5% - 7% of body weight per feeding. So as an example, a 50gram baby would get 2.5ml - 3.5ml. I am attaching a helpful cheat sheet.

Yes, the skin should snap back very quickly... 3 seconds is definitely a dehydrated baby. Never feed formula to a dehydrated baby; hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and only after they are hydrating (which can take a long time) start feeding formula at regular intervals.

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  63.7 KB
    SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

AMatthew (11-16-2023)

Thanks that chart is helpful. I have a sunbeam no auto shutoff heating pad on low under 1/2 the nest box (outside) with a tshirt on the bottom of. If I check with a temperature gun it's 81 to 88F on the tshirt. Does that sound about right? Do you add more than one tshirt or just one and is fleece better than just tshirts alone?