Thread: starving older squirrel has swollen left cheek, can only lick seeds

Default starving older squirrel has swollen left cheek, can only lick seeds

I need advice

when this older male squirrel arrives the other squirrels bark at him and chase him away, when he gets the opportunity he will run up to a pile of seeds and furiously lick each seed, then move on to the next pile of seeds for the same activity, upon leaving a pile of licked seeds large flies immediately are attracted and land upon the licked seeds, I think the older squirrel must have a rotten tooth,

what can I do to help him a) survive b) heal/thrive?

Default Re: starving older squirrel has swollen left cheek, can only lick seeds

We have had members (and myself as well) successfully treat infections in wilds with human antibiotics. Maybe check you cabinets for any leftover antibiotics and post the names and strengths of them.

Second, try to get some pictures of his mouth if you can and post them in the thread.

I have a wild that has been visiting since March that had a mouth problem where she was not able to eat solid foods. I have been providing her with organic peanut butter (pure peanuts, no additives) and sunflower butter. She still visits most days and will come during the less squirrel-busy times of days... mid morning and mid afternoon. She has graduated to being able to eat small pieces of food... like broken up / smashed pecans. When she first arrived I decided against trapping and taking my vet, though I reserved that as an option, because she was nursing. There is no swelling and she is otherwise healthy, at least as far as I can tell.