Thread: Found Baby Squirrel - SO many questions! Long post sorry!

Default Found Baby Squirrel - SO many questions! Long post sorry!

Last Sunday, a mama squirrel led her babies into our backyard and left them there. Literally, left them. She climbed into the roof of our house and would not come back down for her babies. It started to snow and by nightfall all but two of the babies had died. One was mostly healthy but put up a big squawking fight when we picked her up. The other was limp, covered in bruises around her chest and head and didn't fight at all. We set up a makeshift incubator for them with a warm heating pad under an aquarium and tried to get them feeling better. One died rather quickly. The other one has been with us since and is doing great. Now I have SO many questions.

Firstly, how old does she look? We were thinking about 6 weeks? She's still very much on formula and hardly nibbles at solid foods, but we've been offering her veggies anyway. I also bought some rodent blocks for her to try but they won't be here until Monday.

Second, does she look thin? When we found her, despite her having a mama hanging around, she was a tiny sack of bones. You could literally feel every bone in her little body and I think she's starting to fill out, but she still seems small to me. (That BOBBLEHEAD!!)

Third, I'm a bit confused about her family dynamic. The two that we brought inside after the snow were SUCH different sizes. The other baby was definitely still a baby but looked to be twice her size, with much more developed features and jaws. It looked more like a mini adult. Do squirrels keep their older kits and younger ones together?

Fourth, she is super super skittish about any little sound, and from what I've read this is normal. Today we had a huge breakthrough. When I'm not feeding her, she usually just huddles and shakes, but I scratched her little back today and she started kicking her leg like a dog and then started grooming herself right in front of me!! This is progress, right? Eventually she won't be stricken with terror around me all the time?

Fifth, I've still been stimulating her to go to the bathroom. Is this normal at her age? She kind of poops on her own, but when I stimulate her she poops a ton.

Sixth, What on earth happened? Why did mama decide to abandon her babies like this? She's still hanging around the backyard. I am fairly certain that it's the mama because she looks like she's been nursing, but she has NO interest in taking this baby back. The one that died was in sorry shape. It wasn't thin like the surviving baby, but it looked like it'd been dropped off of a building. It was covered in bruises and clearly had something wrong with its back end. It took Pedialyte off a syringe just fine after we warmed it up, but would afterwards go unconscious and then wake back up grasping at the air with its front paws. It eventually had a seizure and died. Did it fall out of a tree or something?

Seventh, I've been feeding her every four hours, but I can't find a really good estimate of how often I should be feeding. She takes food every time I offer it.

Eighth, We've been keeping her on a heating pad but I'm not sure it's enough. At night she huddles inside of a ice scraping glove that I bought for her, which makes me think she's cold?

Name:  20221028_123924.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  144.7 KB

Ninth (I'm sorry I said there'd be a lot of questions!!) She LOVES her ice glove. When she gets spooked, she slips herself back into it to hide. It makes her very easy to carry around, to be honest. Is it bad that I've been carrying her around with her glove tucked into my coat for warmth? Sometimes she hears a sound like the kitchen sink or a door opening and fully flips out inside the glove, trying to burrow down deeper to get away from the sound. She hates, hates hates HATES the sound of the sink running. Whatever you do, do not be holding Edward Scissorhands when someone is turning the sink on!!

Name:  20221028_124014.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  70.3 KB

Tenth, someone mentioned to me earlier that I should be washing her glove every day since she's probably pooping in there. Since the glove is such a big comfort thing for her, should I have multiple gloves to swap out while one is in the wash?

Eleventh, When will she start to play? We've got plans for a huge cage for her to grow up in and we've already bought her loads of little toys. I'm excited to see her play, but right now she just seems to be terrified of everything. I feel bad that she couldn't grow up with her sister.

Twelve-th?, When she's not hanging out in her glove, in my coat, she's in her warm incubator. How often should I be replacing her blankets with clean ones?

P.S. We named her Benny. I don't know what the name came from, but my partner's grandparents were insistent until the day they died that every squirrel was named Benny. So, ours is Benny too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BobbleheadBabySquirrel from:

MyBushyTail (10-29-2022)

Default Re: Found Baby Squirrel - SO many questions! Long post sorry!

I'm not sure why this got moved to "life-threatening." I hope that doesn't mean that you guys think she's dying!

Moving to life threatening for more attention and better response.
    I apologize as I'm not well to stay on computer long to help you but hang in other members will respond.
    In the meantime read this forum on baby squirrel care, it can be a huge help.
    Click on below link:
    It's 6 (short) pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Spanky (10-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Moving to life threatening for more attention and better response.
    I apologize as I'm not well to stay on computer long to help you but hang in other members will respond.
    In the meantime read this forum on baby squirrel care, it can be a huge help.
    Click on below link:
    It's 6 (short) pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Thank you!

She does look skinny. What formula are you feeding? Do you have a scale that weighs in grams? We calculate the amount to feed based on their weight, and monitoring the weight daily will tell you if they are gaining, and they should gain every day.

A soft, fussy place is WONDERFUL for her to have for sleeping, and if you are pottying before and after feeding you likely won't need to wash it as often as you are thinking. A little smell is good - it is HER bed and should smell a bit like her.

Open eyed babies are always more skittish than babies found with eyes closed - she knows you are NOT the mama. She will come around - sometimes cuddling in a piece of fleece that you let flop over her eyes so you can cuddle and she can't SEE you will help.

If she seems cold, you may want to turn the heating pad up. As long as she isn't trapped on it and can move if she gets too warm.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (10-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    She does look skinny. What formula are you feeding? Do you have a scale that weighs in grams? We calculate the amount to feed based on their weight, and monitoring the weight daily will tell you if they are gaining, and they should gain every day.

A soft, fussy place is WONDERFUL for her to have for sleeping, and if you are pottying before and after feeding you likely won't need to wash it as often as you are thinking. A little smell is good - it is HER bed and should smell a bit like her.

Open eyed babies are always more skittish than babies found with eyes closed - she knows you are NOT the mama. She will come around - sometimes cuddling in a piece of fleece that you let flop over her eyes so you can cuddle and she can't SEE you will help.

If she seems cold, you may want to turn the heating pad up. As long as she isn't trapped on it and can move if she gets too warm.

Thank you! I've been giving her Esbilac puppy formula. You should have seen her when we found her. She was all pointy bones. Was her mom not feeding her? I have a gram scale, but I haven't gotten a chance to weigh her yet because she's been so stressed out. The second you scoop her up in your hand she turns into a whirling sawblade. My hands and arms are covered in tiny scratches! (Do they make little socks for squirrel feet? ) Today she's been really good, so I was planning on attempting to weigh her tonight. (Maybe I'll weigh her glove by itself and then weigh it with her inside??

I do think she's warming up to me a bit, but my partner and father-in-law can't get anywhere near her without her completely freaking out. I'm hoping we can change that before she ends up giving herself a heart attack.

I might need to get a heating pad that CAN be turned up. This one is pressure sensitive, so it only turns on if something is on top of it - In this case the fish tank. It stays warm constantly but only to a preset temp.

Yes, you need an actual heating pad like you lay on when you throw your back out. Look for one WITHOUT the auto shut off.

https://henryspets.com/no-auto-shutoff-heating-pad/
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-M...1-500/25479730

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (10-29-2022)

Thank you. I will order one now.

One more question - She isn't really eating yet. She nibbles some things when we offer them to her, but for the most part refuses. She's all about the formula and I'm not going to rush her into eating solids if she isn't ready - But should I be leaving food in her cage overnight? The veggies that I've left for her are withered and gross by morning, and seemingly untouched. I've offered her carrots, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cranberries, squash, cucumber, lettuce, and even a little tomato. For a while I was offering her various fruits before I learned that I wasn't supposed to start her out on those, but she didn't care for them. I also made her a scrambled egg. So far she's only shown slight interest in the egg and the spinach but has tasted and dismissed everything else.

Actually, I'm totally not done asking questions. Oops. For now, would an electric blanket under the glass work while I'm waiting for the "proper" one to come in the mail? I have a very nice electric blanket with adjustable temps. It gets pretty warm.

The first and only solid foods should be rodent block. Introducing veggies only after she is eating the block.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

The heating blanket under half the tank may work temporarily but is the fish tank large enough for her to get away from the heat if she needs? You do not want her to over heat.

The questions about mom, the injuries to the babies and the skinniest... may never know the answers. Maybe she stopped producing milk and could not feed them. Perhaps they were attacked and she was also injured. It is even possible this is not their mom.

Continue the formula, best thing for her right now. She looks under sized / malnutritioned and even dehydrated. Make sure to offer her plenty of water.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

stepnstone (10-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The first and only solid foods should be rodent block. Introducing veggies only after she is eating the block.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

The heating blanket under half the tank may work temporarily but is the fish tank large enough for her to get away from the heat if she needs? You do not want her to over heat.

The questions about mom, the injuries to the babies and the skinniest... may never know the answers. Maybe she stopped producing milk and could not feed them. Perhaps they were attacked and she was also injured. It is even possible this is not their mom.

Continue the formula, best thing for her right now.

The fish tank is over 2 ft long.

I bought some rodent blocks but they will not be here until Monday at the earliest and I wanted to give her an opportunity to chew on something and at least TRY to eat. Maybe she's just holding out for the blocks! I will keep giving her formula though, thank you.

The reason why I thought it was their mom was simply because she was clearly lactating. She didn't act like a concerned mom though. She still comes by my backyard every day. I see her on our fenceline eating sunflowers and acorns out of the garden. I tried at the beginning to put the baby outside in a box while playing baby call sounds, but she showed absolutely no interest. Perhaps the baby was following her around hoping that she could be HER mama?

Name:  20221028_193712.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  92.1 KB

I fed and weighed her tonight - She's just under 140 grams. I've also included a picture of her completely milk drunk with a cute little milk mustache because I think she's adorable. Thankfully, I've been feeding her close to the right amount and adjusted to give her enough now that I know how much food she needs. I would also like to share that I THINK she purred tonight?? She made the softest little fluttering sound with her mouth after being fed, and only stopped when some dingbat down the street decided to set off fireworks and scared her back into shivers. But I think she was content with her full belly!!

Name:  20221028_124014(1).jpg
Views: 55
Size:  71.3 KB

Bonus, here's a picture of her in her little glove. She likes to sleep with her nose poking out.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BobbleheadBabySquirrel:

MyBushyTail (10-29-2022), stepnstone (10-29-2022), Tashahaven (10-29-2022)

She's adorable! ~ You do have two of our best helping you, thank you Critt and Spanky.
    * Make sure you clean formula off mouth/fur. It can cause "scald" w/ fur loss.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Awe your baby is precious. Don't have any advice to offer but was curious if you have seen momma squirrel since she left her babies in your yard. Does anyone know why a momma squirrel would that - wondering if maybe she was ill or about to give birth again?

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    She's adorable! ~ You do have two of our best helping you, thank you Critt and Spanky.
    * Make sure you clean formula off mouth/fur. It can cause "scald" w/ fur loss.

Thank you! I've been wiping her with a warm cloth after feeding but I have a particularly hard time getting under her neck since she's still pretty skittish right now. This morning she got a warm "bath" in a bowl of water to get all of that extra crust off. (It also made her poop!) She's been hanging out in her glove, tucked into my coat ever since to keep the chill away as she finishes drying. Name:  20221029_101649.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  123.8 KB

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BobbleheadBabySquirrel from:

MyBushyTail (10-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MyBushyTail View Post
    Awe your baby is precious. Don't have any advice to offer but was curious if you have seen momma squirrel since she left her babies in your yard. Does anyone know why a momma squirrel would that - wondering if maybe she was ill or about to give birth again?
    Yes, the mama has hung around in my backyard ever since, but hasn't shown any interest in taking the baby back, so I stopped trying after a few days. We think that she had one more surviving baby, but it has since disappeared as well.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BobbleheadBabySquirrel from:

MyBushyTail (10-29-2022)

At what age would she normally start playing with toys? And what age should we start showing her the big cage we've got for her? I know right now she needs to be kept on heat and a cage would probably be way too drafty, but I'd like to start getting it ready for her at the right time. She's got a ton of toys and chewy things coming in Monday!

Name:  277284_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1660233270_(1).jpg
Size:  111.1 KBName:  277232_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1661822212_(1).jpg
Views: 44
Size:  50.9 KBName:  277288_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1660237224_(1).jpg
Size:  105.7 KBName:  235128_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1661821788_(1).jpg
Views: 46
Size:  62.9 KBName:  81zQHhMdNdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Size:  98.2 KBName:  91iMadxoRkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Size:  107.9 KB

If you haven't already bought this stuff, I would save my money. None of them are really appropriate for squirrel play. They love to play with each other - wrestling, rolling, etc. Go to your local Goodwill or Salvation Army and hit the stuffed toys. Any with hard plastic eyes, buttons, etc., will need those items removed, and don't buy toys that have the heavy polystyrene beads in the arms and legs (they are put there to make them hang down when you set them on a shelf) You just want plain old stuffed toys - bit ones, little ones - if you find some that are vaguely round like a ball they are highly prized for somersalting with. For chewing, I would suggest either a piece of branch from a SAFE tree (maple is widely available and always good) or even a big chunk of indoor pine lumber (available in 1x2, 1x3, 1.4, etc, in various lengths, and attach it to the side of the cage so he can really yank on it.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (10-29-2022)

I've already bought the stuff, but we have TONS of stuffed animals as well. My nieces have donated quite a few of their old ones to her, but we haven't given her any yet. She also has a few soft cat toys. I did notice that she dragged one of the crinkly plush cat toys into her nest, but I wasn't sure if that was accidental.

They love to buddy up with a favorite stuffie and often will tear the stuffing out to nest with, very normal.
    No stuffies like "Bennie babies" that have the silicone beads in them, squirrels chew and they are toxic!
    Often you can open a seam, remove the enclosed item, sew it back up and make it safe.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed