Thread: Pneumonia

Default Pneumonia

Good Afternoon everyone.

I am helping a little baby to get stronger. I noticed she was doing a bubbly noise. I had sugar gliders before, so I first thought it was a happy noise, suggies do that same bubbly sound when happy.
    I have been reading the forum for a few days and read a lot about "clicking" noise. This did not sound as clicking to me so I decided to look for what noises the squirrels make when happy, and I could not find anything about bubbly noise.

I was not able to open the video here to check the sound, but I found this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljcB...GreySquirrel39 This little girl is doing the same noise just MUUUUUUUCH quiet, barely audible.

I was unsure if she was even making the noise, plus she has no other symptoms. She looks very good and moves around quite well when hungry. She eats very well. She takes about 6 to 7 mls of esbilac formula each feeding. (awaiting FV that will arrive tomorrow). Her suction is so good that sometimes she moves the syringe plunger by herself. Since I saw a post about how fast they can go down and the importance of catching them early if they have pneumonia, I decided to get my stethoscope and listened to her from the back. Sure enough, she is doing that sound with every little breath. Same as the video. It is not loud, but it is there, the same as I was barely hearing with my ears but much clear in the stethoscope.

I can't find a vet that would treat her where I live. I read other posts that human antibiotics could help and said to post here with all the specifications to see if someone can help.
    Well, here I am.

I have in hand two pills of amoxicillin trihydrate 875mg.
    The baby weights 117 grams (taken this morning before feeding)

I think the baby is 5 weeks old. I can feel her upper teeth like a sharp bump, so they have cut through the gum but are not long.
    Her eyes are still closed.
    Now, after two days of hydration and milk, she moves around very well when hungry or when my dog wakes her up barking (big dog, big bark). Otherwise, she sleeps a lot.
    She can pee by herself but have not seen her poop (with or without stimulation) I did find only 2 poop pellets so far in these almost two days.
    I am posting three pictures as a reference in case I am off with the age.

Would anyone be able to help me calculate how much antibiotic she needs? Furthermore, how to administer this to her since it is not in liquid form. Thank you!!

Name:  Image 2022-10-19 at 3.45.08 PM (1).jpg
Views: 42
Size:  63.3 KBName:  Image 2022-10-19 at 3.45.08 PM.jpg
Size:  64.5 KBName:  Image 2022-10-19 at 3.45.09 PM.jpg
Size:  63.5 KB

Default Re: Pneumonia

NVM, I tried adding this to the original post but couldn't.

I guess I can also tell why I could hear the clicking sometimes but not always. I hear it clearly while listening to her in the middle of her back. Listened to her on the right side when she was lying on her side and NOTHING. I thought I was losing my mind. Now she turned and had her left side exposed. There is the clicking on the left side very clear. Left-sided pneumonia? I guess. Anyhow. I don't know if this makes any difference.

I sent you dosing info. Amoxicillin wouldn't be a first choice for this so if you stumble on any other meds, let us know what they are.

You may have just been so attentive that you have caught this REALLY early, or this may not be pneumonia, or anything else. Babies with pneumonia do NOT eat with gusto and going off food is actually the first symptom people see (and usually don't recognize). I would rather mistakenly dose a baby without pneumonia than wait and see, though.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Layla (10-20-2022)

Thank you so much CritterMom. I got the message. She started to push away her food last night and today she ate 4 mls only with some work. She normally eats 5 and asks for more so usually goes to 6 or 7. So we will see. I will see if i can get something better than amoxi. Thank you again 💓

PLEASE read my PM!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Layla (10-20-2022)

Update:
    She is doing great!!
    She is eating well after a few feedings that she pushed away. Last feeding last night, she was starving!!! My daughter was looking at her, sucking on her little hands while I was getting her food ready (not soon enough of course), so she had to show how hungry she was by sucking on anything she found in her box, including her hands and tail!
    We are back to pig mood.
    She also OPENED HER EYES TODAY!!!! So exciting. I was as happy as when my kids showed teeth ahahaha. She also gained a few grams. She is 126 grams today (I failed at weighing her before the first meal because she was going nuts, but this was right before her second meal, so it is not super accurate. I will reweight it tomorrow to have an accurate measurement.
    I also listened to her little lungs from the back, where the clicking was most audible. I used my stethoscope, and NOTHING. I heard a clear little heart running without any clicking!!!!!
    Once again, thank you for all the help!!
    Will continue her antibiotic run until completing the days suggested. I just wanted to give an update!
    Little girl and I can't thank you enough!

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Layla:

Mel1959 (10-22-2022), stepnstone (10-21-2022), Tashahaven (10-21-2022)