Thread: Hi! Just wondering if I'm on the right track still?

Lightbulb Hi! Just wondering if I'm on the right track still?

Just looking for some confirmation and possibly suggestions for what other things to consider when weaning and feeding my girl.

She appears to be about 9 weeks old, headed for 10?

She opened her eyes a couple weeks ago and has been shredding Henry's blocks since then. She has just recently started to slow down on her intake of formula and has been wanting more solid food. I have been feeding her 2 or 3 Henry's blocks a day since she mainly shreds them and I'm not sure how much is actually being consumed. I've been giving a small bowl of veggies and fruits 2x a day. Usually some lettuce, green beans, broccoli, sweet potato, I also give some blueberries, blackberries, huckleberry, grapes, apples, bananas but less of these than the veggie. She does seem to be eating more than shredding now and is still taking in about 1 to 3% of her body weight per formula feeding. (Down from 6% per feeding). Her weight has consistently gone up and I haven't had a day where it hasn't. She is now about 330g, up from 118 when she was found.

Thanks for reading! Now my questions!

Any other veggies I should definitely mix in?

Should I sprinkle calcium powder or any other supplements or should she be good with 2 to 3 Henry blocks a day?

I'm about to introduce a shelled nut treat or two per day, is this a good time?

How do I make sure she is drinking enough water, I've seen her using her bottle a couple times and I leave a dish too, but I did have an incident where she had a hard dry poop stuck in her rectum.

Thanks!

Joe and "Trooper" (ess)

Default Re: Hi! Just wondering if I'm on the right track still?

No, don't use additional calcium with the blocks and formula... it is unnecessary with a proper diet.

It works best when solids are withheld until they are eating the block well.

It seems possible there is too much fruit in the diet, but here is the link to the healthy diet chart which will go the good, the okay and the bad... as well as the mix as to how much in each category:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Help509 (10-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    No, don't use additional calcium with the blocks and formula... it is unnecessary with a proper diet.

It works best when solids are withheld until they are eating the block well.

It seems possible there is too much fruit in the diet, but here is the link to the healthy diet chart which will go the good, the okay and the bad... as well as the mix as to how much in each category:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Ok thanks for this advice. I will withhold solid food until she is eating the blocks a little better.

Should I increase her feedings since she is only eating 4.5cc per feeding and use to eat 15 to 18cc 3x a day?

Eyes open right about 5 weeks... does this line up with her being 10 weeks old?

Yes, increase her formula feedings. How frequently are you offering formula?

No nuts at this time, especially since the diet is not completely squared right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Eyes open right about 5 weeks... does this line up with her being 10 weeks old?

Yes, increase her formula feedings. How frequently are you offering formula?

No nuts at this time, especially since the diet is not completely squared right now.
    I would say she is 7 to 8 weeks after thinking about it.

I have withheld everything but health blocks and 50/20 as you recommend. She is drinking about 15 to 18cc's again, 3 times a day. I'm giving her 4 blocks a day at the moment because she is still shredding so much of them.

I put some Douglas fir branches from my property in the cage and she seems to love crawling all over those.