Thread: Diet

Default Diet

What should I be feeding my baby boy? He’s 11 weeks and off formula . I want to feed him the right diet for him but don’t know what to really believe.

Default Re: Diet

My baby girl is 11 weeks as well but still loves her milk. EVERY SINGLE PERSON has told me to start her on the rodent block (squirrel block) there is one for the picky eaters called "Picky Eater Rodent block" my girl wants nothing to do with either so I'm kinda stuck feeling. I hope you have some luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BennytheSquirrel View Post
    What should I be feeding my baby boy? He’s 11 weeks and off formula . I want to feed him the right diet for him but don’t know what to really believe.
    What is he eating now?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

The first and only solid food should be a high quality rodent block. Henry's block is most well received... stick with the Picky.

At 11 weeks they should have been getting the block for at least 5 weeks or so and should be eating them very well by 11 weeks of age. Normally if they are not eating the block it is because they have been offered other options... I refer to this as choosing the more difficult path.

Always give this first followed by healthy veggies from the food pyramid. Formula feeding frequency should have been reduced to not more than 2X a day and maybe even once a day by 11 weeks.

Years ago I gave up on the healthy block and now I get the Picky and Wild (for variety) and every so often the Hazelnut and maybe a Mixed every so often. I do have 1 NR that I only give the Picky, because she prefers that to the others.

Personally I have never had a baby squirrel not eat their Henry's Picky Block... at 5, 6 maybe even early 7 weeks they are just shredding. By 8 week they are chowing down on it. Here is a video I have revived recently but this is very typical:
    https://youtu.be/HwfFPSOoLKU

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The first and only solid food should be a high quality rodent block. Henry's block is most well received... stick with the Picky.

At 11 weeks they should have been getting the block for at least 5 weeks or so and should be eating them very well by 11 weeks of age. Normally if they are not eating the block it is because they have been offered other options... I refer to this as choosing the more difficult path.

Always give this first followed by healthy veggies from the food pyramid. Formula feeding frequency should have been reduced to not more than 2X a day and maybe even once a day by 11 weeks.

Years ago I gave up on the healthy block and now I get the Picky and Wild (for variety) and every so often the Hazelnut and maybe a Mixed every so often. I do have 1 NR that I only give the Picky, because she prefers that to the others.

Personally I have never had a baby squirrel not eat their Henry's Picky Block... at 5, 6 maybe even early 7 weeks they are just shredding. By 8 week they are chowing down on it. Here is a video I have revived recently but this is very typical:

He’s getting a avacodo , strawberry, banana , broccoli and two Henry health blocks with sunflower seeds almonds and cashews he eats the Henry health blocks but isn’t very interested in formula he’ll eat it but only if no food. Someone told me he should be weaned by 10 weeks usually so I thought it was okay to not give formula?

[QUOTE=Chirps;1352563]What is he eating now?[/

He’s getting a avacodo , strawberry, banana , broccoli and two Henry health blocks with sunflower seeds almonds and cashews he eats the Henry health blocks but isn’t very interested in formula he’ll eat it but only if no food. And he would eat more but I want to make sure he’s getting more watery foods so he gets his daily water intake i belive he’s drinking from his water bottle but someone suggested I put some of his fruit a little damp so he gets droplets of water when he drinks.

He’s getting a avacodo , strawberry, banana , broccoli and two Henry health blocks with sunflower seeds almonds and cashews he eats the Henry health blocks but isn’t very interested in formula he’ll eat it but only if no food. Someone told me he should be weaned by 10 weeks usually so I thought it was okay to not give formula?
    It is not true that they usually wean by 10 weeks. That is the (far) exception and not the rule.

The sunflower seeds, almonds and cashews are all very bad... I thought the Healthy Food Pyramid had been posted in one of the other threads you've started. When it says 1 - 2 nuts a day, that is for healthy adult squirrels that eat a healthy diet and should only be given as occasional treats. I don't give any babies nuts before 14 weeks and only rarely then. Most often they get their first nuts in the release cage.

Here is the link to the healthy food pyramid:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

It is not true that they usually wean by 10 weeks. That is the (far) exception and not the rule.

The sunflower seeds, almonds and cashews are all very bad... I thought the Healthy Food Pyramid had been posted in one of the other threads you've started. When it says 1 - 2 nuts a day, that is for healthy adult squirrels that eat a healthy diet and should only be given as occasional treats. I don't give any babies nuts before 14 weeks and only rarely then. Most often they get their first nuts in the release cage.

Here is the link to the healthy food pyramid:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Will he have deformities if I don’t feed him formula? He’ll nibble but won’t eat much . With the healthy food pyramid, someone did post it but I couldn’t find it. What would do you feed for daily percentage food other than formula? Edit, I just read the health diet , what other rodent blocks can I feed him? And how much should he get with two Henry health blocks? He has no problem with eating the Henry health blocks as he goes to eat them first he LOVES them which is very helpful.

OMG, I've never seen that video. That's adorable! That's right up there with the one of Noelle teaching the kids table manners.

Will he have deformities if I don’t feed him formula? He’ll nibble but won’t eat much . With the healthy food pyramid, someone did post it but I couldn’t find it. What would do you feed for daily percentage food other than formula? Edit, I just read the health diet , what other rodent blocks can I feed him? And how much should he get with two Henry health blocks? He has no problem with eating the Henry health blocks as he goes to eat them first he LOVES them which is very helpful.
    The formula helps them grow up strong and healthy. Not feeding formula will cause deformations, as long as he has a proper diet (seeds, nuts and cashews are not a proper diet) he'll be healthy, but maybe not as healthy as a baby that takes formula through week 14 or 16 or...

If he is eating a couple 2 - 3 Henry's block that is a very good thing. The goal with the rest of his diet is not to feed foods (junk) that are unhealthy and will actually "reverse" the good stuff he gets from the Henry's. Especially important to avoid are calcium depleting foods like nuts and seeds; these calcium depleting foods are the biggest risk for captive squirrels and in young squirrels causes less healthy bones than the baby would have with a proper and healthy diet.

You can supplement the Henry's with Mazuri, Teklad/Envigo (they have made news recently with animal cruelty issues), Oxbow kind of extruded commercial rodent block. Or, supplement with the healthy veggies on the healthy food pyramid.

The formula helps them grow up strong and healthy. Not feeding formula will cause deformations, as long as he has a proper diet (seeds, nuts and cashews are not a proper diet) he'll be healthy, but maybe not as healthy as a baby that takes formula through week 14 or 16 or...

If he is eating a couple 2 - 3 Henry's block that is a very good thing. The goal with the rest of his diet is not to feed foods (junk) that are unhealthy and will actually "reverse" the good stuff he gets from the Henry's. Especially important to avoid are calcium depleting foods like nuts and seeds; these calcium depleting foods are the biggest risk for captive squirrels and in young squirrels causes less healthy bones than the baby would have with a proper and healthy diet.

You can supplement the Henry's with Mazuri, Teklad/Envigo (they have made news recently with animal cruelty issues), Oxbow kind of extruded commercial rodent block. Or, supplement with the healthy veggies on the healthy food pyramid.
    Thank you! And you said 2-3? Does that mean I can feed him 3 Henry health blocks? He LOVES them I find it adorable I will definitely keep trying formula I don’t want any sort of issues with him especially since he’s still releasable.

Thank you! And you said 2-3? Does that mean I can feed him 3 Henry health blocks? He LOVES them I find it adorable I will definitely keep trying formula I don’t want any sort of issues with him especially since he’s still releasable.
    Can I use the kaytee fortidiet pellets? If not is it the Mazuri rat and mouse diet?

Can I use the kaytee fortidiet pellets? If not is it the Mazuri rat and mouse diet?
    Don't know about the Kaytee, but yes to the Mazuri, it's the rat and mouse block.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

BennytheSquirrel (10-17-2022)

Hi BennytheSquirrel:
    Just out of curiosity, which of the Kaytee Forti-Diet products is it that you were considering? I don't have any experience with the Kaytee foods and the specific amounts/concentrations of the ingredients are not listed on the Kaytee website (that I have found anyway). I would recommend not using any other blocks except Envigo/Harlan Teklad or Mazuri (Spanky also mentions the Oxbow Extruded Blocks so his experience with this brand would make Oxbow a third option) as these have been used extensively and there is a large satisfactory experiential database associated with using both of them.

As far as the the number Henry's Blocks a Squirrel should be permitted to consume each day; 2 blocks contain basically a complete diet for your Squirrel. This amounts and concentrations of the ingredients are based upon the publication entitled "Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals,: Fourth Revised Edition, 1995." This Guide does not mention Squirrels in particular (fortunately Squirrels are not routinely used as "lab animals") and is base upon the Rat. If your Squirrel is eating the entire blocks and not wasting any of them (relatively rare), 2 blocks should be quite adequate. If there is some obvious waste, offering 2-1/2 to 3 blocks is an option. I would recommend NOT using more than 3 Henry's Blocks in one day. Henry's Blocks are "concentrated" complete source of daily nutrition and the items from the Pyramid are supplements. Squirrels enjoy eating (as do most of us) and will also benefit from additional nutritional intake beyond the Henry's Blocks but it should not be by free-feeding Henry's Blocks!

Mazuri and Envigo (I have no experience with the Oxbow blocks so I can't comment on those) blocks can be free-fed and in most cases should be. Since your Squirrel is young and obviously in the growth phase of life and if you are opting for using Envigo Blocks; my suggestion would be to use the 2018 formulation (or if you would prefer to avoid soy protein, the 2020X formulation but it costs more and is ). I make my own blocks but use Envigo as a base and for young Squirrels, I use the 2018 formulation). As Spanky pointed out, Envigo has been cited recently for some very serious acts animal cruelty in a laboratory setting and dogs were removed from their control! Their diets though have detailed information on the ingredients and additionally offers several options so I've had to reconsider my initial response to the cruelty which was for me to cease using their diet. I use a very nice lady merchant on eBay called Ecosandy as a supplier for the Harlan-Teklad Blocks as do others on TSB. She ships quickly and the product is fresh and you can tailor the amount ordered as opposed to getting a huge bag from Envigo at high price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/23438305511...8AAMXQL99SccBN

If your Squirrel really likes the Henry's Blocks as it seems she does, and she eats 2 complete blocks daily (and never more than 3), she is getting a full daily diet. Please do supplement the Henry's Blocks but follow the guidance in the Pyramid. The items at the top point of the Pyramid are basically the treats and if offered at all (definitely NOT necessary) should be used rarely, as treats, and only after your Squirrel has had adequate daily nutritional intake.

Also, it seems that your Squirrel has stopped using formula. Weaning should always be decided by the Squirrel and oftentimes, it appears that a Squirrel may have decided to stop taking formula but might "change her mind" later and it is always good practice is still offer the for 4 or 5 days or even a week before truly discontinuing it. Formula is still an excellent supplement during the weaning process!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Recommended rodent block:

Name:  AdultMain__01001.1423351887.1280.1280_edited.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  41.2 KB > Henry's Healthy & Picky Block are usural favorites.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi BennytheSquirrel:
    Just out of curiosity, which of the Kaytee Forti-Diet products is it that you were considering? I don't have any experience with the Kaytee foods and the specific amounts/concentrations of the ingredients are not listed on the Kaytee website (that I have found anyway). I would recommend not using any other blocks except Envigo/Harlan Teklad or Mazuri (Spanky also mentions the Oxbow Extruded Blocks so his experience with this brand would make Oxbow a third option)
    I'll certainly amend my recent suggestion and include the Kaytee blocks as StepNStone has included these in his recommendations! I should have left my comments about Kaytee "open ended" and simply stated that "if others have had experience with the Kaytee blocks it would be great to hear from you!" Good to have another option!
    Regards,
    StS

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    I'll certainly amend my recent suggestion and include the Kaytee blocks as StepNStone has included these in his recommendations! I should have left my comments about Kaytee "open ended" and simply stated that "if others have had experience with the Kaytee blocks it would be great to hear from you!" Good to have another option!
    Regards,
    StS
    Thank you so much for your response!! As a new squirrel mom and with having to overwinter him I’ve been stressing lol I’ve ordered more henry block and been following the food pyramaif and cutting out the nuts and fruits from his diet …except for the occasional treat . But I just wanted to thank you for taking your time with explaining it to me! I really helped I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BennytheSquirrel from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-17-2022)