Thread: Gardia/coccidia concern

Default Gardia/coccidia concern

Hello,
    Would anyone know what medication and dose for treatment of Gardia/coccidia?
    I recently had kittens infected and treated and somehow it crossed into my squirrels nursing cage. My male is now having the beginnings of soft stools with blood spots and a terrible odor, so I am about sure there was a cross container.
    This just started so I want to get ahead of it quickly!

Default Re: Gardia/coccidia concern

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    Hello,
    Would anyone know what medication and dose for treatment of Gardia/coccidia?
    I recently had kittens infected and treated and somehow it crossed into my squirrels nursing cage. My male is now having the beginnings of soft stools with blood spots and a terrible odor, so I am about sure there was a cross container.
    This just started so I want to get ahead of it quickly!

The medications used in the treatment of gardia versus coccidia are different. Do you know which it is? Or what medication was used to treat the kittens successfully?

Posting pictures of the diarrhea may help... giardia is usually darker, often green and can be bloody. I would want to treat with Metronidazole, as I have seen tough cases the past two seasons which only Metro resolved...

Coccidia is usually lighter in color, more frothy and more "voluminous" (I described this as looking somewhat like that "slime" kids play with, but it is not that solid).
    Sulfadimethoxine, ponazuril or even Bactrim (TMP-SMZ).

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-03-2022), Stacy (10-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

The medications used in the treatment of gardia versus coccidia are different. Do you know which it is? Or what medication was used to treat the kittens successfully?

Posting pictures of the diarrhea may help... giardia is usually darker, often green and can be bloody. I would want to treat with Metronidazole, as I have seen tough cases the past two seasons which only Metro resolved...

Coccidia is usually lighter in color, more frothy and more "voluminous" (I described this as looking somewhat like that "slime" kids play with, but it is not that solid).
    Sulfadimethoxine, ponazuril or even Bactrim (TMP-SMZ).

I am almost sure its gardia. Blood in stool, green and the kittens are on metro. I am giving pedalyte in formula to keep extra fluids on board at moment. The metro is 59mg/ml dose that I have on hand.

I am almost sure its gardia. Blood in stool, green and the kittens are on metro. I am giving pedalyte in formula to keep extra fluids on board at moment. The metro is 59mg/ml dose that I have on hand.

Can you provide the weight of the squirrel for dosing? And please confirm the metro at 59mg/ml.... I am thinking it was a typo and is really 50mg/ml.

I am giving pedalyte in formula to keep extra fluids on board at moment.
    Please do not mix pedialyte into the formula, only mix it with water. If hydration is needed, give hydration between feedings. Giving hydration at the same time as feeding is counter-productive. When nutrition is given, fluid rushes from tissues into the stomach to aid digestion. When hydrating, we are attempting to get fluids to go from the stomach into the tissues.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-03-2022), Tashahaven (10-03-2022)

Please do not mix pedialyte into the formula, only mix it with water. If hydration is needed, give hydration between feedings. Giving hydration at the same time as feeding is counter-productive. When nutrition is given, fluid rushes from tissues into the stomach to aid digestion. When hydrating, we are attempting to get fluids to go from the stomach into the tissues.

Thanks Spanky! This is extremely important! I posted this fairly recently but it's so important that I wanted to use this thread as another opportunity to get this known to our members:

"The following is from one of the FAQ's from Abbott (the company that manufactures Pedialye) on the Pedialyte Information page and is very clear as to why these should never be utilized together:
    Q. Can I mix Pedialyte with formula?
    No, we do not recommend mixing Pedialyte with formula. When Pedialyte and formula are mixed together, the nutrient and mineral content of both would change, along with the osmolality (my note: this is basically a measure of the concentration of dissolved particles in a solution). The mixture could also become clumpy and hard for your baby (My note: Squirrel) to drink. "

(My note: the "clumpy and hard" aspect is what some of us have seen with FV32/40 Formula and we know what a potential disaster this can be for baby Squirrels!
    Thanks!
    SamtheSquirrel

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Thanks Spanky! This is extremely important! I posted this fairly recently but it's so important that I wanted to use this thread as another opportunity to get this known to our members:

"The following is from one of the FAQ's from Abbott (the company that manufactures Pedialye) on the Pedialyte Information page and is very clear as to why these should never be utilized together:
    Q. Can I mix Pedialyte with formula?
    No, we do not recommend mixing Pedialyte with formula. When Pedialyte and formula are mixed together, the nutrient and mineral content of both would change, along with the osmolality (my note: this is basically a measure of the concentration of dissolved particles in a solution). The mixture could also become clumpy and hard for your baby (My note: Squirrel) to drink. "

(My note: the "clumpy and hard" aspect is what some of us have seen with FV32/40 Formula and we know what a potential disaster this can be for baby Squirrels!
    Thanks!
    SamtheSquirrel

Oh my goodness! Thank you! Very good to know!!!

Can you provide the weight of the squirrel for dosing? And please confirm the metro at 59mg/ml.... I am thinking it was a typo and is really 50mg/ml.
    Sorry for that typo! It is 50mg/ml and I may have 25mg tablets on hand.
    Weight is 6.5oz for the male and 5.5 oz for female. My gram scale died on me.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Stacy from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-03-2022)

Sorry for that typo! It is 50mg/ml and I may have 25mg tablets on hand.
    Weight is 6.5oz for the male and 5.5 oz for female. My gram scale died on me.
    Dosing sent via PM. Let us know if you have any questions at all.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Tashahaven (10-03-2022)