Thread: Sick squirrel

Default Sick squirrel

Hello all, I am new here and hoping someone can help me! My mother had a little squirrel come inside her house and when she tried to get it out, it kept following the electrician and sitting on his boots. Later that night, it was still sitting outside the door alone. My mom opened the door and it ran to her and has been by her side for two days now.

She thought it was injured because it has a few sores/scabs on it so she has been putting antibiotic ointment on the spot on its neck but not by its mouth. Then another squirrel showed up trying to get in. She tried to get it to go back up the tree but it would only sit outside the door waiting for her. It looked fine to her but when she let it come in, she realized it was having trouble breathing when sleeping. I knew from reading many of these posts that it needed help so I contacted the local rehabbers in the area and none have called me back The second squirrel sadly didn't make it through the night. It had all the signs of AP but my mom had just brought it in and never fed it so I'm not sure if it was that or something else.

Well now the first one she brought in is starting to breathe the same. It is sneezing and has a runny nose and is starting to sleep with its mouth open and you can hear it breathing rough and making a clicking noise. Once again, worried it's AP but it also has these sores like maybe squirrel pox? Not one vet will agree to sww him unless the licenced rehabber brings it in but they won't answer. I'm feeling so helpless and my mom is in tears trying to save this cute little squirrel.

The only antibiotics we have are Bactrim and amoxicillin. I am on my way to get the squirrels weight and hoping someone can help me with dosage how much/how often. Also any advice on what might be happening? It's weird that it's two small squirrels both sick together. Is there anything she needs to worry about possibly getting sick too? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Sick squirrel

I just got to her house. The squirrel is not doing well. He is breathing pretty hard. It's weight is 106g and the generic bactrim ds is 800/160mg

Sent dosing for the Bactrim, but I think that the amoxicillin might be a *little* better. If you have the milligram size of that I can also dose it for you.

Better choices would be Cipro, Baytril (which is a veterinary drug) or Amoxicillin clavulanate. Good luck. I hope the little one makes it.

Thank you very much for your reply, but it sadly passed this morning. I'm worried that there has already been two around her place that were so sick when this sort of thing has never happened around here before. Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this? I'd like to have a better idea what I'm dealing with if another baby ends up sick at her door.

It is hard to say whether it is some issue going around in the area or just the result of the stress and trauma of babies that have been on their own when they shouldn't be for some reason. Did you have storms that would have taken out a nest just prior? Because they will hang in the nest if something happens to mom until they are in desperate shape - it takes a lot to get them to venture out and down the tree at that age.

I would say that if you can get your hands on just ONE cipro pill it may help. You would want to begin dosing as soon as you get them hydrated. It is REALLY effective on upper respiratory/pneumonia issues and will work faster than almost any other antibiotic.

I am so sorry about this baby. Sometimes they just get to us too late and there is literally nothing you could do to stop that. At least he was warm, dry, and cared for at the end.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Tashahaven (10-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    It is hard to say whether it is some issue going around in the area or just the result of the stress and trauma of babies that have been on their own when they shouldn't be for some reason. Did you have storms that would have taken out a nest just prior? Because they will hang in the nest if something happens to mom until they are in desperate shape - it takes a lot to get them to venture out and down the tree at that age.

I would say that if you can get your hands on just ONE cipro pill it may help. You would want to begin dosing as soon as you get them hydrated. It is REALLY effective on upper respiratory/pneumonia issues and will work faster than almost any other antibiotic.

I am so sorry about this baby. Sometimes they just get to us too late and there is literally nothing you could do to stop that. At least he was warm, dry, and cared for at the end.

I cannot recall any storms, but there was a day that we had some strong winds. There are also a good bit of cats and dogs that roam her neighborhood.

I will definitely try to find where I can get cipro just incase any other babies show up. Thank you for all of your help.