Thread: 6-7 week old squirrel diarrhea

Default 6-7 week old squirrel diarrhea

Hi everyone!! This is my first post but I have been reading a lot of posts. This board is awesome it has so much valuable information!
    So a little back story on how we got this guy. My husband was at his uncles house when he heard their 5 pound dog barking. She had cornered A small squirrel that went straight to my husband. He did not see a nest or any other squirrel around. We have had the squirrel for two weeks and he has been doing really good.
    We have been feeding him FV 20/50 with a miracle nipple and an O-ring syringe. We have been doing the 5% to 7% feeding rule. We just started offering him rodent blocks to nibble on. We just moved him into a bigger birdcage that has small spaced wires. He has a water bottle That he is able to use.
    I found out that on Friday my dad gave him a small almond and cashew. This was the first time he ever had nuts and I don't know how much he ate of it. On Saturday morning he had diarrhea. I rehydrated him with the rehydration formula and said him slightly smaller feedings. The pinch test did not show that he was dehydrated. Maybe because he still wanted formula and is able to drink water?
    He still has diarrhea today. It is a whitish/yellowish color almost kind of like a mucous. I read on a thread here that they can have Imodium or Pepto so I went and got both.
    I don't know the way to dose it But at lunchtime he weighed 133g. He is continuing to gain weight and is still really excited about his formula. He is very active and enjoys playing and climbing. The only thing about him that has changed is the diarrhea. I have attached some photos of him hoping someone could tell me if I'm close on his age. The first 2 pictures were the day he was found and the rest are from today. Within the last four days or so he has started really climbing, jumping very short distances, and sitting up. Two weeks ago his eyes were already open and he had fur on his belly. He's a sweet little guy and we enjoy being able to help him.
    Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Default Re: 6-7 week old squirrel diarrhea

He just pooped on his cage. I didn't have a good picture before.

The opened, powdered Fox Valley 20/50 should be stored in the freezer (minimally the fridge) ; storing at room temperature it will go rancid.

No nuts until he is eating rodent block and then healthy veggies well. Feeding nuts now is choosing the difficult (and unhealthy) path.

You can give him 1 - 2 drops of Pepto for now but there is something causing the diarrhea that needs to be identified and correctly.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SammieandMrPants (09-25-2022)

We have not fed anything other than formula and the block. The formula has been in the fridge constantly. I drove to my moms for the night and had to bring lil guy with me so the formula was in an insulated bag for about 2-2.5 hours would it have gone bad that quick? I have the white dog Esbilac that I got while waiting on the 20/50 to arrive, should I feed him that until a new bag comes in? As far as the drops does the mg of the medicine matter?
    Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by SammieandMrPants View Post
    We have not fed anything other than formula and the block. The formula has been in the fridge constantly. I drove to my moms for the night and had to bring lil guy with me so the formula was in an insulated bag for about 2-2.5 hours would it have gone bad that quick? I have the white dog Esbilac that I got while waiting on the 20/50 to arrive, should I feed him that until a new bag comes in? As far as the drops does the mg of the medicine matter?
    Thank you for your help!
    The 20/50 won’t go rancid in that length of time. Does the poo smell bad? I would say that it’s probably food but a fecal would tell you exactly what it might be. The pepto will slow it down. You give one drop and then wait. It will turn their poop really dark so don’t freak out. You can also add baby pumpkin food to the formula. Just add enough to change the color of it. Rice cereal also. The baby kind I can send photos of what to buy. Pumpkin is a magical thing it helps fix constipation but also helps with diarrhea.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

SammieandMrPants (09-25-2022)

It doesn't smell bad I don't see any worms on or around him and haven't seen any eggs in his fur. He's still his playful, silly self and always ready for his milk! I saw him as he was going potty and it was like a bubble and then the liquid. Does a new solid food affect them like other animals? I gave him the pepto and he was definitely not a fan! I'll pick up pumpkin baby food tomorrow. Would it hurt/help to worm him? I saw they can use Panacure. How old would you guess him to be? Thank you for your help! I don't want anything to happen to this sweet boy.

It doesn't smell bad I don't see any worms on or around him and haven't seen any eggs in his fur. He's still his playful, silly self and always ready for his milk! I saw him as he was going potty and it was like a bubble and then the liquid. Does a new solid food affect them like other animals? I gave him the pepto and he was definitely not a fan! I'll pick up pumpkin baby food tomorrow. Would it hurt/help to worm him? I saw they can use Panacure. How old would you guess him to be? Thank you for your help! I don't want anything to happen to this sweet boy.
    If he had an intestinal parasite I think it would have shown up before now. I just went through the same thing with my girl. Her’s smelled bad and it was just running out her bum. The color of the poo is an indicator of what could be going on. You mentioned changing the formula to esbilac, I definitely would not recommend doing that at all. Change in diet rapidly can cause diarrhea also. I read somewhere maybe in the Wild mammal Baby book what the color of the poo means but I looked for it again and couldn’t find it. I wouldn’t worm him either due to not knowing. Do you have a vet that could do a fecal on him? If doing so you have to be careful with them because they are not allowed unless you are a licensed rehabber. I have never seen poo so clear though. Most of the diarrhea I have seen was a yellow. Let me refer back to my book again in the morning. I would cut him back to 5%, add the pumpkin. Since you have given the pepto already, do not give anymore until you have seen it pass through in his poo. Remember it will turn his poo dark. So once you have seen that you can give another dose, but in saying that it is only helping reduce the diarrhea not treat the issue that is causing it. Without a fecal test the cause of it will not be known.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

SammieandMrPants (09-27-2022)

Update:

I haven't seen a super dark poo yet but I attached a picture of the one from earlier today. I thought I took a picture of the one from yesterday but I didn't. It was more yellow. I unfortunately don't have a vet where I am. I have the ability to get antibiotics though.
    I gave him the pumpkin in his formula yesterday and he loved it! I haven't used esbilac since we got the 20/50 in. He's still himself and isn't dehydrated.

I have the ability to get antibiotics though.
    Can you get Metronidazole, Fenbendazole or Sulfadimethoxine? This is listed in my order of preference based on the poo pics.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SammieandMrPants (09-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Can you get Metronidazole, Fenbendazole or Sulfadimethoxine? This is listed in my order of preference based on the poo pics.
    I should be able to get Metronidazole. Do I need it in liquid form? Does he need anything extra like probiotics or yogurt with the AB?

I should be able to get Metronidazole. Do I need it in liquid form? Does he need anything extra like probiotics or yogurt with the AB?

I do not believe Metro is readily available as a liquid ("not common"), but if you can get that great. Otherwise we can instruct how to make a suspension from the pills.

We will need the strength of the Metro and the weight of the squirrel.

Just a pinch of probiotics from a human probiotic capsule mixed with water is great. I use the CVS generic brand.