Thread: URGENT - Vet confirmed MRSA - Need help!

Exclamation URGENT - Vet confirmed MRSA - Need help!

My 9-week old grey, Ziggy, has been fighting a skin issue for quite awhile now. I finally found a vet that would do a skin scraping and culture. It came back as MRSA. All he could really offer was to euthanize, or, keep his enclosure clean and hope that his immune system kicks in. He's already beat the odds this far, so I really want him to have a chance. What can I do???

Default Re: URGENT - Vet confirmed MRSA - Need help!

MRSA basically means it is resistant to methacillin type antibiotics (beta-lactams). Do you have, or will the vet provide, some Bacttim (SMZ/TMP)? Bactrim is extremely effective (90% +++) against MRSA.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (09-27-2022), stepnstone (11-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    MRSA basically means it is resistant to methacillin type antibiotics (beta-lactams). Do you have, or will the vet provide, some Bacttim (SMZ/TMP)? Bactrim is extremely effective (90% +++) against MRSA.
    He was initially on SMZ due to a cat attack, but only for about a week when he was younger. The vet told me that he didn't have any antibiotics strong enough to treat this and that basically it was resistant to all the most common antibiotics for staph (smz included). I do still have some SMZ if you think that would help. Is there anything I should be using topically as well that would also help?

I would certainly try the SMZ - it is usually pretty effective. Also, get a bottle of Betadyne 10% povidone iodine at the drug store. It is a deep red orange liquid that looks almost like blood, and an excellent antimicrobial that doesn't burn or sting.

I just did some reading on it and a 1:100 mixture of betadyne and water killed all of the MRSA varieties they tried it on within 2-3 minutes, and most within 15 to 30 seconds.

The mixture we usually recommend is actually a bit stronger than that, so it will work a little faster. Mix 1/4 teaspoon into 1/4 cup water. Just use a cotton ball - dip it into the mixture and dab/pat/drizzle it onto his wound - 2-3 times a day would be good. Again, it doesn't sting at all - though it will dye his hair a little orange for a bit.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (09-27-2022), island rehabber (09-27-2022), stepnstone (11-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I would certainly try the SMZ - it is usually pretty effective. Also, get a bottle of Betadyne 10% povidone iodine at the drug store. It is a deep red orange liquid that looks almost like blood, and an excellent antimicrobial that doesn't burn or sting.

I just did some reading on it and a 1:100 mixture of betadyne and water killed all of the MRSA varieties they tried it on within 2-3 minutes, and most within 15 to 30 seconds.

The mixture we usually recommend is actually a bit stronger than that, so it will work a little faster. Mix 1/4 teaspoon into 1/4 cup water. Just use a cotton ball - dip it into the mixture and dab/pat/drizzle it onto his wound - 2-3 times a day would be good. Again, it doesn't sting at all - though it will dye his hair a little orange for a bit.

I actually have been using the diluted Povidone Iodine because I read about it so much on here... to me, his skin does look better than it did, but it's quite widespread over his body, and it's itching him quite a lot. I'm guessing maybe it will just take awhile to clear? He seems fine in all other aspects... eats, plays, is gaining weight.

I'm quite sick to my stomach about it... for him, worried about the other wildlife in my care, my pets... I have a spot on myself that is quite possibly staph, despite how careful and clean I've tried to be. This is a first for me and I'm driving myself crazy over it. AHHHHHHH!

You can use the povidone iodine anywhere he has the staph. You should certainly be using it on yourself. My first initiation to povidone iodine was treating a staph infection on myself many years ago.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (09-26-2022), Tashahaven (09-26-2022)

You can use the povidone iodine anywhere he has the staph. You should certainly be using it on yourself. My first initiation to povidone iodine was treating a staph infection on myself many years ago.
    I've been using it too and keeping mine covered so I don't spread it anywhere (if that's what mine is). I just all of a sudden feel like it's everywhere and everything is contaminated, even though this has been going on for awhile. Just the confirmation of what it is makes it scary. Is there anything I can do to maybe boost his immune system? He's got access to formula whenever he wants it... I do mix in a little plain almond milk yogurt. He eats all kinds of veggies and gets a couple of Henry's blocks everyday. His favorite thing is avocado, so I give him a little after I doctor his wounds as a treat for being a good boy. He has branches and deer antlers to gnaw on, toys to play with... trying to make him as comfortable as I can and keep him occupied to keep his mind off of being itchy. If there's anything else I could be doing to give this guy the best shot, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZiggy View Post
    If there's anything else I could be doing to give this guy the best shot, please let me know!

If you need dosing info for the bactrim post his weight and the strength of the bactrim.

My poor little guy... I also just got confirmation that he tested positive for ringworm. *ugh* The vet mentioned a lime dip, but said it would be hard on him. Would I just continue the povidone iodine and hope it takes care of both? Has anyone ever dealt with a double whammy like this with good success?

Anything that treats athletes foot will do well beating ringworm . I have done this several times . also get some Nutriferon by shackley ingredients and I can help you dose. Worked so well for my pox squirrels.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Anything that treats athletes foot will do well beating ringworm . I have done this several times . also get some Nutriferon by shackley ingredients and I can help you dose. Worked so well for my pox squirrels.
    I will order some Nutriferon today! I do have MiconaHex+Triz spray and shampoo for dogs and cats. It says it’s anti fungal and anti bacterial. I just hate this for my little guy.

Do know that the Betadyne is also considered a treatment for this, so you will be hitting it with two fists!

Thanks everyone! I am determined to get this little guy well. I tell him everyday that I'm not going to give up on him. The NutriFeron should be in tomorrow, and I'm pretty much drenching him in diluted Betadine several times a day with some anti-fungal spray in-between. He seems fine otherwise... he eats, plays, gnaws, caches... all squirrel-y things, so hopefully he'll pull through it. <3

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MrZiggy from:

AnaMM (09-29-2022)

Would someone be able to help me with the dosage of NutriFeron? He weighs about 242g.

Wanted to give an update on Mr. Ziggs and maybe get some more advice. His skin looks amazing… no more inflamed mess, fur has grown back beautifully. He’s a little spitfire and plays so cute, and is pretty sweet when he’s tired. My concern is one of his eyes. Ever since he was a little baby, his eyes seemed to weep. Now it’s only one that does, and it always seems a little swollen. I’ve read on here about the odontomas, which is a concern of course. It seems to itch him because he’s scratched some of the fur off, so I’m wondering if it’s the last part of the skin conditions, or could be something else? Any thoughts?

Name:  9A4A6070-0A34-48AE-964F-B5E66EC23763.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  143.9 KB

He is REALLY young - less than a year old - for an odontoma. They take some time to develop. Is the eyeball itself swollen or the skin around it?

He is REALLY young - less than a year old - for an odontoma. They take some time to develop. Is the eyeball itself swollen or the skin around it?
    Ok, whew! To me, it looks like the skin around his eye. When he was really little, he had the milk tears, but those stopped awhile back.

Allergies manifests as skin conditions in animals instead of the runny nose/sneezing that happens to humans. You could try some Children's Benadryl to see if it helps. We would need his weight to give you proper dosing info.

Allergies manifests as skin conditions in animals instead of the runny nose/sneezing that happens to humans. You could try some Children's Benadryl to see if it helps. We would need his weight to give you proper dosing info.
    Well, he just walked right onto the scale for me, haha! He’s 410g.

Children's Benadryl dosing sent by PM.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (11-14-2022)