Thread: Penis self sucking

Default Penis self sucking

This is my first post, so please forgive any breaches in protocol. Chip is about a 8-10 week old Grey. He is sucking his penis. We have tried wrapping him in “vet wrap” around his middle, sliding him in a “body sock”, and constructing a “diaper”, and even tried “Yuck”, all have failed. We increased his feeding schedule and give him fruits, vegetables and Henry’s healthy blocks. He eats well and when we return him to his box he immediately starts sucking himself. I have read many posts and saw one about an e-collar and a reverse collar. I’m willing to try that but wanted to check with a post first. We are trying to keep him peeing and keep the scabbing off with soaks, massage and Neosporin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RDG from:

Corvine (04-29-2023)

Default Re: Penis self sucking

Definitely increase the formula feeding schedule.

Does he have a water bottle available and have you noticed his using the bottle?

Consider providing formula in a shallow dish when you are putting him back in his cage. A shallow bowl since baby squirrel tend to stick their noses into the liquid too far and aspirate. Placing marbles or rocks in the bottom of the dish can also help prevent aspiration.

There is a post here somewhere where a member attached a plugged up nipple to a stuffie or something and their squirrel seemed to soothe themselves suckling that...

However, if he immediately begins suckling himself (this is not typical behavior) I am inclined to think he needs to be feed more often or more formula... of even needs additional hydration (water bottle?).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Definitely increase the formula feeding schedule.

Does he have a water bottle available and have you noticed his using the bottle?

Consider providing formula in a shallow dish when you are putting him back in his cage. A shallow bowl since baby squirrel tend to stick their noses into the liquid too far and aspirate. Placing marbles or rocks in the bottom of the dish can also help prevent aspiration.

There is a post here somewhere where a member attached a plugged up nipple to a stuffie or something and their squirrel seemed to soothe themselves suckling that...

However, if he immediately begins suckling himself (this is not typical behavior) I am inclined to think he needs to be feed more often or more formula... of even needs additional hydration (water bottle?).

Thank you for such a prompt reply! We have not put a water bottle in yet, but I will get one today. I will also put a shallow dish in his box. He has been constipated so we added 1cc of half prune juice/ half Hydration fluid to his feedings. (He weighs about 98 gms and is 1/2 the size of another rescue about the same age.) We are feeding him 6-6.5cc’s Fox Vally 20/50 formula every three hours with the Fox Vally.

Sorry, prune juice/ hydration with the Fox Valley

Quote Originally Posted by RDG View Post
    Sorry, prune juice/ hydration with the Fox Valley
    Do not mix hydration... or anything but water (ever)... with the formula. If additional hydration is needed, that should be given between feedings (2 hours after feeding).

He is super tiny for a 8 - 9 week old.. with this new info I am inclined to believe he wants more formula. Don't be afraid to allow him to eat more with each feeding (which may result in a need to go from every 3 hours to every four hours or even more). I get these unweighted, undeveloped babies handed over to me all too frequently and more often than not they simply had not been getting adequate nutrition (formula).

How often are you feeding the other rescue(s)?

The other rescue “Scrat” is fed every 3-3.5 hours and is taking 13 cc’s of formula. He is also eating healthy blocks, walnuts, spinach, banana, and cucumber between feedings.

The little one “Chip” came to us small, skinny and dehydrated. The people that found him, found 2, both were starving. Little Chip seems to “forget” how to nurse periodically, but does try to eat healthy block pieces and pecans. This morning Chip started to nurse his formula, stopped, and reached down to nurse his penis.

When he does nurse his formula he seems to bite and lick rather than suck. We have put water bottles in their cages and have seen Scrat drink (they had small bowls of water previously).

Btw, we have had Scrat since he was 1 week old, Chip came to us on the 18th and was found on the 17th (this month). Chip’s brother was given to someone else.

Name:  783ECC7B-B625-4148-9EDC-4D031DA0649A.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  131.8 KB

This is Chip when he was found.

I just read “Henry’s Healthy Diet”, we will discontinue spinach, walnuts and pecans immediately. There is so much for us to learn... thank y’all for being so helpful!

Chip’s brother was given to someone else.
    This is soooo sad, I feel horrible for poor Chip. I never understand why siblings are separated from one another.

I hope you are not mistaken into believing squirrels will make nice pets... too many learn this lesson the hard way.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

JLM27 (09-26-2022), Tashahaven (09-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    This is soooo sad, I feel horrible for poor Chip. I never understand why siblings are separated from one another.

I hope you are not mistaken into believing squirrels will make nice pets... too many learn this lesson the hard way.
    We tried to get both brothers, but it was not to be...However, both Chip and Scrat will be climbing our oak trees when the appropriate time comes. I believe wild should stay wild...no pets for us!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RDG from:

Spanky (09-27-2022)

I need to jump back on this thread. It has been a long nine days with little Chip. We have increased his feeding and his amounts. He eats healthy blocks and veggies readily and takes his formula. He has gained weight but is still very small for his age. We have noticed that his self-suckling seems to be a habit not a physical need. He will immediately nurse himself right after his meal if we take our eyes off him for a second. We found that an e-collar will prevent that but then he can’t hold his solid food to eat it. Also he seems to get really depressed when it is on. We tried it for a few days and he healed quickly, however, he slipped it and immediately ruined himself again. We decided to try a reverse collar and he healed and was actually happy, then he slipped it again and ruined himself immediately.He now knows how to defeat it. “Yuck” doesn’t work either. I don’t know what else to do at this point.
    Is there anyone in the Augusta Georgia area that has more experience in this? I think we are in to deep for our limited experience. I really want him to survive and go back to the wild where he belongs. Help!

On a happier note, Scrat (our other rescue) is doing outstandingly well!

An update on “Chip.” We followed Spanky’s advice and increased his quantity and his frequency of formula feedings. We added “Healthy Blocks” and good veggies with a nut or fruit treat sporadically. He has gone from 98 gms to 180 gms! He is still small compared to “Scrat” but he always will be. We tried an E-collar and “Yuck” to no avail. The food alone has not stopped the “self-sucking. The e-collar did but at a terrible cost to his emotional well-being. We have now moved on to a “reverse collar” and have had tremendous success! “Chip” plays, eats and sleeps like a squirrel should, but he cannot reach himself to suck. We have had one drawback when he slipped his r-collar and sucked himself. We adjusted the contents of his cage (took everything out that he could wedge himself on) and so far have not had any recurring incidents. I believe we can keep him from suckling himself but I don’t know how long he will have to wear the r-collar. I have heard that it takes 30-45 days for a child to break a thumb sucking habit 😮. I just hope we time it right. I will attach a picture of “Chip” wearing his r-collar. I want to thank everyone who has helped us, especially Spanky. At this time, we feel like little “Chip” may make to his future release! That’s the goal...Name:  B684B4A6-1054-40D0-B05F-45C7D6AC46CB.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  110.2 KB

At this time, we feel like little “Chip” may make to his future release! That’s the goal...
    This makes me very happy.... getting these babies free in the treetops is such an awesome outcome! I hope he will soon outgrow this obsession he seems to have...