Thread: Need some help with meds and an abscess

Default Need some help with meds and an abscess

Hello all. I've been lurking this forum for a while now as I used all the information everyone's posted to save not one but to little fluff balls. First one I got, Little Bit is his name, as he was only supposed to be here for a little bit 3 days before the other one, maybe mom was moving nests? I have a neighbor, who means well, feeds about 15 stray cats. Needless to say I don't fill the bird feeder nearly as much anymore and the squirrels now get fed up high on top of my deck where they can see everything. My dog, a golden saved these two baby squirrels from the cats in my yard. The second squirrel he wouldn't come in late one night, i looked between his paws and there was number 2, Jo-Jo as he likes to box you. Now both were severely dehydrated, ran around in Philadelphia at 3 am trying to buy Pedialyte, got it raced home did the 50/50 mix with some spring water and Karo syrup, heating pad as no fur on belly yet, eyes not opened.

They went from 40 grams to today the runt weighs in at 283 grams. His brother Jo-Jo is over 300. I loaded up with things people were using besides esbilac, treats, food, fresh everything that's posted on the diet page, a ton of comfy fleece blankets and most importantly anti-biotics, Baytril 2.5% oral solution with a 1ml syringe Amoxicillin Probotics plus, and other antibiotics, just in case hoping id never have to use them. Well, they are thriving, and for that I thank you all. I have rescued many animals, but this is the first time with squirrels, and without all your help, they wouldn't be here today. Now today took an interesting turn of events as we noticed a small lump under Little Bits right arm, being from Philly I tried all the rescue places since day one, all go to voicemail saying they're at capacity. I found a text number, text them and got told I cant help them as I'm not licensed, explained id pay for everything, only to be told they take donations and cant take money for individual care, as Little Bit did develop a limp once he came around on his right arm, a couple days of pampering and extra attention as someone is home all day, he was fine.

Today his little lump opened up, I was trying to not get to friendly with them as I wanted to release them into the wild, so I was hands off, as much as possible. Now his lump had puss come out of it, I'm sure he's sore, he has to be. I have been reading every thread I could, this little guy will make it, no matter the cost or care, if I have to drive to another state to see a vet so be it. What can I do right now to help him, I know baytril is a last resort type of med, I must have read every thread on it. I just need a little more info to get him to perfect health again, please. I see people talk about an iodine solution, but no details as to what. I also see no info, only through a PM about mixing a solution of the 2.5% Oral Baytril I got them, also how bitter it is and I havent found a trick on how to give it to them except honey and or something sweet on the tip of the 1ml syringe. I am posting pictures of the meds I bought, im sure I have more, if you think I need more please let me know, he has to make it as he is a love bug with his new mom. I will separate them as he is in his mini make shift hospital so his bigger brother stops pouncing on him so he can get some rest. Again, thank you all, you've all opened my eyes to squirrels in a way I never thought possible. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Default Re: Need some help with meds and an abscess

I wanted to add one more picture, i tried removing others that I uploaded to add this as well but couldn't figure out how to remove them, sorry for adding more and thank you all again for all your help and opening my eyes to these wonderful animals that I now see in a different light, sincerely thank you.

And I'm adding more as I read and learn more. The fluid is milky white, NO SMELL, I now know that's important information that I didn't know when originally posting. Any question please feel free to ask. I'm willing to take him to a vet, but I was already warned from friends who work at them and the way I was treated from the rescue I reached out to. So if I have to travel, whatever I need to do, no matter the cost please let me know. Thanks again everyone.

Is little bit the one to be treated with the weight at 283 grams?
    Verify the weight and I will private message you breakdown and dosing for Cephalexin 250 mg
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (09-25-2022), Xenu (09-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Is little bit the one to be treated with the weight at 283 grams?
    Verify the weight and I will private message you breakdown and dosing for Cephalexin 250 mg
    Yes he is, I'm also ordering Derma Gel as I'm reading that I should probably have that on hand as well. Any other meds, items I should get? Added some pictures of Little Bit from day one and a more recent one. Just so you can see the Little Bit you're helping. Thank you so much.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Xenu from:

stepnstone (09-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
    Yes he is, I'm also ordering Derma Gel as I'm reading that I should probably have that on hand as well.
    Any other meds, items I should get?
    I would recommend getting some Betadine antiseptic solution to clean and apply to abscess.
    You will want to take a portion and dilute with some water to a consistency of weak tea.
    I'll work up dosing and send to your private messages.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Xenu (09-25-2022)

Thank you and I'm adding that to the list too. I really appreciate all your help and the wealth of information everyone has made available here. I now have a new found love of these and the outside squirrels I haven't had before. Truly eye opening for everyone in my family. We usually are the ones any neighbor brings any and all animals to, beings my first time trying to get two half dead baby squirrels to be an adult squirrels I'm on edge as my sister who can raise any baby animal, had two die on her, even after thriving for a week, has me being maybe over cautious. But I see some meds take a week to get here, which I don't and cant wait for. Thank you so much again.